Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the main take-aways for me is that HW3 is on track for end of Q1 – *this is crazy soon*. Andrej Karpathy talked about how the 10x increase allows for the deployment of a much larger (and more accurate) neural network. @neroden, I remember you posted this in the luvb2b-thread about your pessimism for FSD, and have been brewing on a response, so I hope it's cool with y'all than I clutter the celebration up with some attempted substance:

OK, so "decades" may have been an exaggeration. (Or maybe not.) But this fundamentally isn't a hardware problem, it's a software problem. And it's not a programming problem, it's a *problem specification* problem. And they are years away from the problem specification.

True full self-driving -- in grass lots, on dirt roads, on one-lane bridges, following the hand-wave instructions of construction workers -- is at least a decade away.

They could have a chip which was a trillion times faster and that wouldn't change anything.

I think you might be missing some knowledge *collective gasp* about deep learning and the techniques Tesla and specifically Andrej Karpathy bring to the table. If one had to specify the problem specifically (as one normally does in CS), you would be right, that would take forever – but one of the major things deep learning accomplishes is *problem specification*. It figures out how to best approximate the problem itself.

One of the key factors in deep learning though – besides the specific architecture of the network – is figuring out how you can measure *when the network makes a mistake*. This is represented by the so-called "loss-function", which tells the network how wrong it was according to the desired output. It can then update the weights on each neuron to better approximate the desired result. The difficulty now though, is figuring out *when you are wrong*.

This, however, is quite a bit more simple than specifying self-driving - and shadow mode is exactly this. It enables training of a network against baseline "perfect" human behaviour. They do other stuff, of course, but shadow mode has the potential to be immensely helpful.

In case you guys haven't read Andrej Karpathys thoughts on software 2.0 (you might have seen his Autopilot lecture, which covers some of the same ground), this is a good primer – albeit a bit old:

Software 2.0 – Andrej Karpathy – Medium

Basically the FSD network will do something along these things:

Labeling each image > estimating 3D position of objects > figure out how to drive (okay simplifying here)

Each of these components are either independant software 2.0 processes, as described in the Medium post, or may even be merged into one network. I recall Andrej mentioning before that he believed "a single network to rule them all" was superior, but this was back when he was a phd and he was very coy about the techical details. He might have been working on some paper that never saw the light because he started working for Tesla. He might still believe this though – and the recent architecture improvements to the NN actually seem to suggest that indeed he still does.

Regardless, I think Tesla is (and has been for a long time) on the absolute forefront on applied deep learning and the sudden exponential increase that has happened to other problems attempted by deep learning, seem to be on the cusp of happening with FSD. Not that we'll be there in Q1 next year, but things seem to really be picking up steam, so I doubt it'll be a decade.

Third time I've heard them say Service will be revenue positive in the future, but first time I realized what I heard.
Frankly, I can't even see that as possible. The VOLUME of vehicles is soon going to be Model 3, all under warranty so there is basically no service revenue. They have a lot of legacy S and X in the market, but it will soon be DWARFED by the Model 3 in the marketplace, USA at least. So, how do they see Service revenue going up significantly? I mean, are they expecting to launch a model 3 service contract, that will add 500-900$ per car in revenue, for maybe 40% of buyers and with less than that amount in spend?

Don't worry: we should actually welcome half of the shorts screwing the other half of the shorts by defecting and demoralizing, so that there's a molten crater in the ground, glowing in the dark for centuries, with a sign saying: "Here lie those who went short TSLA".

I do suspect there are some significant shorts who are in an effective bear trap now. Their covering might be spectacular, once it happens.
i freakin love this quote

So unless you absolutely think shorts are going to depress the price come the morning,
I expect the same old early open, mandatory morning dip. Because I think it's program trading at this point, and they won't all be reprogrammed by morning.

Stock hasn't reacted to the conf. call any more than to the report

They might not run out of Medium Range and Long Range orders in 2019, so I think they'll delay the release of the Standard Range.

That's capitalism: sell the more expensive products first, if you have the choice.
If they can get margins in 15% range on Model 3 SR, I think they'll start selling them, even if MR/LR were experiencing high orders. Just build first come first serve (batched for efficiency, of course).

Remember that Tesla isn't purely capitalistic.

Summary:
1. 5k a week Model 3 is the new 10k a week. Kiss that 10k/week good bye. 5k/week enough to support Europe, China and US demand in Q1. Gotcha!
2. All talks about 10k a week vanished.
3. Was the $35k Model 3 contingent upon 10k a week Model 3 on a sustained basis? I think it was. So bye bye that too.
4. FSD bye bye.
5. $100 a KWh battery has been hyped up for so long in the past. Gone. Won't comment anymore.
6. Solar roof tiles that was ready to sell 2 years ago is now in R&D and testing!

The only sad part is I can't find shares to short.

They might not run out of Medium Range and Long Range orders in 2019, so I think they'll delay the release of the Standard Range.

That's capitalism: sell the more expensive products first, if you have the choice.

Maybe, but at this point they are claiming March. My guess is production scales pretty slowly here and that the SR is delayed beyond March which I'm generally fine with since they secured plenty of room with those op.ex numbers. I don't think valuation turns on profitability with the 3, it turns on the roadmap and they just need to have a decent cushion against headwinds in the meantime.

In terms of applying rational valuations I think the market cap scales probably quadratically (or more) with how low they can get the cost on that car because it is a (nonlinear higher demand at lower price points) * (higher margin per unit) as you drop the cost so it really is the most important variable. Probably Toyota agrees with that.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
This from Google... contrast that with Tesla!

As a general rule, new vehicle auto dealers have a net profit margin of 1-2% on new vehicle sales. It's pretty pitiful. Gross margins, however, run between 8 and 10% for most full-line automakers, and luxury cars often earn 10-15% margins. Depends on the vehicle, market conditions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.