Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He said worldwide M3 demand is guessed at 500K to a million.

Just a reminder, SP $599 per the table below at 20x P/E, 20% margins.
Stock vs Margin.jpg

Are we debating the difference between the word SOME and MINIMAL? I find minimal, in the world of 1+B to build a factory, to probably mean in the 50-150M range. Maybe it's 10,000, but I doubt it. As for batteries, didn't they talk about new lines coming "on line", will that take some time? Is there NO constraint for batteries at this point? If there isn't whey the heck aren't they producing 5-6K cars a week NOW?

There's no need for you to repeat this same argument many times, we already know roughly how much capex is required for 8k-10k/week, independent experts from Evercore ISI recently audited the Fremont factory and estimated a capex in the 'tens of millions of dollars' range to reach 8k/week and 10k/week:
  • “Based off our tour and what we saw, we see no reason why Stamping and General Assembly should not be able to handle [seven to eight thousand cars per week] today, and even potentially 10k units, with very little incremental Capex. We believe the same is also true for the Paint Shop when it comes to reaching 8k units a week, with some incremental capex potentially required to get to 10k units."
  • "For Body, our understanding is that incremental capex is required (our impression is in the tens and not hundreds of millions) in order to get to both 8k units and eventually 10k units."
I'm sure they reported to Tesla with more precise estimates as well, but we don't have access to that report.

There will be no competing with uber and lyft for quite a while. at least 3-5 years IMHO.

Along these lines, someone here previous mentioned starting the Tesla Network early, with people driving manually for now, and using that to essentially drive further demand in addition to profits. That still sounds like a fantastic idea to me.

Along these lines, someone here previous mentioned starting the Tesla Network early, with people driving manually for now, and using that to essentially drive further demand in addition to profits. That still sounds like a fantastic idea to me.
Sure, if they create an uber type network, where owners sign up and just get directed to riders and Tesla for example runs that network, without taking much if any spiff from the drivers - sure, I could see THAT coming sooner for sure. If they haven't developed that platform yet though, I would put that business/services model at 12-18 months out.

Third time I've heard them say Service will be revenue positive in the future, but first time I realized what I heard and believed that's what they meant. Elon used to say that it would be around revenue neutral; I forget if he was talking nearer term back then, but that's not how I remembered it.

Last edited:
So it sounds like batteries are no longer the bottleneck. What’s holding them back from 6 to 7 k per month. Paint?
I think there isn't anything that is holding them back. They will be at 7k per month soon enough. But now it sounds like they might go above 10k per week, although not in Fremont but globally. They have announced that they will start bringing some parts of production of Model 3 to China in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.