Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GM offers buyouts to 18,000 employees - CNN
GM share price up 9% today on the backs of their latest earnings report, so they are doing well, right?
Perhaps not well enough. GM offers buy-outs to 18,000 US White Collar workers.

Oh man, does anyone proofreads their articles? Is that suppose to be a reputable news organisation? Simply terrible.

GM and other automakers are making a major push to develop self-driving vehicle technology along with electric vehicles and ride sharing services. GM has created a separate company called Cruise for those efforts. The company expects to spend $1 billion on Cruise this year.

The journos also come across as damned unpatriotic if they now dare to throw mud on this home grown success story. There's a grotesque double standard where these publications are happy to wave the flag to enlist your sons/daughters to fight for oil in Iraq, but then pooh pooh a company which builds an unbelievably good product that removes the need for oil in the first place. There's only one place such a double standard can exist - in the boardrooms of big oil and big auto.
I feel that what you're talking about is such a non-issue for these publications. They are sell-outs making money, which doesn't smell, CNBC most of all. These are the ones Trump should be going after as fake news, yet the ones that are more objective suffer instead.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and Pezpunk
This was pointed out by @brian45011 in this comment, quoting the 10-Q:

"Panasonic has partnered with us on Gigafactory 1 with investments in the production equipment that it uses to manufacture and supply us with battery cells. Under our arrangement with Panasonic, we plan to purchase the full output from their production equipment at negotiated prices. As these terms convey to us the right to use, as defined in ASC 840, Leases, their production equipment, we consider them to be leased assets when production commences. This results in us recording the cost of their production equipment within property, plant and equipment, net, on the consolidated balance sheets with a corresponding liability recorded to financing obligations. For all suppliers and partners for which we plan to purchase the full output from their production equipment located at Gigafactory 1, we have applied similar accounting. As of June 30, 2018 and December 31, 2017, we had cumulatively capitalized costs of $955.4 million and $473.3 million, respectively, on the consolidated balance sheets in relation to the production equipment under our Panasonic arrangement. We had cumulatively capitalized total costs for the Gigafactory 1 of $4.14 billion and $3.15 billion as of June 30, 2018 and December 31, 2017, respectively."​

So if this is is capitalized by Tesla and expensed as a capital lease, not as an operational lease, then that would suggest a lease-to-own construct.

I might be wrong about that though. @brian45011's comment also includes links to two contracts that define the Gigafactory 1 arrangement.
I read that to mean that even though Tesla did not provide the capital for the equipment, nor does it lease the equipment, GAAP rules in ASC 840 nevertheless require that because they agreed to purchase all production from said equipment they must, for accounting purposes, pretend that they have leased the equipment even though they have not. IANAA so I could be totally wrong.

This could be an option, replacement of cargo space for extra $, definitely does not need to be a standard config.

Certainly not. But "value added configs" is very much Tesla's "thing" ;) A 7-seat config could earn them both more customers and more margin. Go with a default of 5, offer a 7-seat option for extra money, and maybe a 2-seat config (aka cargo van) as a no-cost replacement for the 5-seat config.

Oh man, does anyone proofreads their articles? Is that suppose to be a reputable news organisation? Simply terrible.

GM and other automakers are making a major push to develop self-driving vehicle technology along with electric vehicles and ride sharing services. GM has created a separate company called Cruise for those efforts. The company expects to spend $1 billion on Cruise this year.

I assume the proofreading error is the fact that GM didn't create Cruise (they bought them)?

The LA Times has an article on Tesla's awesome's Q3 earnings.

The funny part is that Anton Wahlman - who spends 95% of his time writing wildly misleading anti-Tesla articles on SeekingAlpha - is quoted in the article as someone who goes both short and long Tesla, as if Anton might have possibly been long during this ER while he was writing a flurry of SA articles on Tesla's eminent demise.

LA Times:
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.27.06 PM.png

Here's his SA article leading up to the earnings:
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.29.20 PM.png

The funny part is that Anton Wahlman - who spends 95% of his time writing wildly misleading anti-Tesla articles on SeekingAlpha - is quoted in the article as someone who goes both short and long Tesla, as if Anton might have possibly been long during this ER while he was writing a flurry of SA articles on Tesla's eminent demise.

A few months ago, the same LA Times reporter (Russ Mitchell) referred to Mark Spiegel as "an analyst" -- another comically bad description.

He seems to like presenting obviously anti-Tesla sources as neutral. Doesn't reflect well on his journalism.

Last edited:

LA Times:
View attachment 348789

View attachment 348790
Write to Russ Mitchell. We need to turn activists to stop these nonsensical articles.

As it's pushing on close to midnight in certain time zones, notably US Eastern Time, where Wall Street is, then this not wholly Off Topic post is about on time....

Today, 1 November, marks 100 years since my father was born. I've shared a very small amount about him in the past, including that he was still working about 20-25 hrs each week, including sitting on the board of directors of six corporations, up to three weeks before his death in his 94th year. He had over time been on the board of some three dozen or more, a fact that in itself I know rankles at least one prolific poster here, but he viewed himself as a cross-pollinator, one of the very last of the so-called professional directors. It continues not to be appropriate to name the companies, but quite a number of them are ones whose names all of you would recognize; they range from finance to insurance to banking to railroads to oil to engineering to high tech to pharmaceutical to philanthropical.

As also will not be surprising to those who have followed my postings, he and I crossed swords - to great and unfortunate effect - and only barely reconciled ourselves before his passing. For all the faults I perceived and yet perceive in him, however, I also acknowledge and desire still to be able to act (sometimes!!!!!!) as he did. One nugget I wish to share with you on this anniversary, but first: I want each of you to think back to the year 2005, and consider what you were doing and how your thoughts and actions then are similar to or different from those of today.

Now, the seminal part of Dad's life was WWII. He had prepped for military duty by having enrolled in the predecessor to the Navy's ROTC, and by ragged historical coincidence was scheduled to report to active duty as a Lieutenant (jg) on 8 December, 1941. As such, when the news of Pearl Harbor broke the day before, he immediately raced to his ship, the aircraft carrier Ranger, a day early - and therefore was on active duty, mostly in the Pacific Theater, from then until well after Hiroshima. Succinctly, he spent the entire war killing as many Japanese as he could, and trying to keep from being killed by them.

Now, as I was poring through cabinet after file cabinet of his papers after his death, I came across certain documents that form the crux of this post. In 1958 - and this at a time when it was incredibly difficult for an American to purchase shares even of a UK company, he bought - through the broom-closet Wall St office of a firm no one ever had heard of called Nomura Securities - a large number of shares of two companies: one called Yawata Iron & Steel (this later becomes Nippon Steel, the world's largest steel company in the 1970s-90s), and another unknown company called Sony Corp. Nineteen fifty eight.

1958 is 13 years after 1945. How have your views of things changed in just 13 years? Thus the 2005 question earlier.

I keep that story of him as close to my thoughts, and heart, as I can.

One more vignette, with which we will close the circle. As I wrote, for most of his latter years we were unreconciled, and of course, geographically I have been at the Ends Of The Earth, thus truly out of the loop, so I learned the following only after his death. Electric automobiles had been a passion of mine in the years before I left Wall St; my failure to bring to funding an EV venture was one of several important reasons I soured of the investment world and departed for the bosom of Alaska. In that where I live contact with the outside world was very difficult and tenuous - and even today internet connections are poor (so you all get to run rampant all summers, you heathens you) - for many years the only good source I had of news was the weekly delivery of The Economist. And some time probably late in the summer of 2012, I read therein of a company that not only had developed a really engaging EV, but it was actually producing them. <Skipping my own embrace of Tesla and move to....> . So after we revealed to one sister our Model S, she said "You know, Dad was in one of these"? Whaaaa? How could that be? "Yes. ______ _______ took him for a ride in his". Whereupon I learned from a close friend and former right hand to Mr. X that Mr. X had been an extremely large early investor, and thus Mr Musk gave him the opportunity to buy one of the fabled Final Five Roadsters. My friend said that after Dad's time in Mr X's Roadster, he turned to him and said "Now I've seen the future - and this is it".

Happy 100th, Dad.

LA Times:
View attachment 348789

View attachment 348790

I rated your post as ‘funny’ because there’s not an ‘effing hilarious’ button. For the LA Times to quote that guy is the definition of effing hilarious.

This is what is so alarming about our situation re: the news today. We as TMCers know how exceedingly awful, and often downright devious, the reporting is on Tesla. Does that infer that all news is this misleading? God help us all....

ahem. I have a house and three vehicles. Still working on getting an M3 -- it certainly is not easy despite meeting your criteria. Naturally, my house is modest, as are the vehicles, but such a glib claim deserves a reply. Not sure where you pulled the 50 million figure from either.

Market size of 50 million in the US? As much as most of us on here wish Tesla success....let's be realistic.
You do realize the US population is about 330 million.
Nothing "glib" about what I wrote. If you think people are going to convert from ICE to EVs (note I said EV, not Model 3), the first large scale ones to convert will be the middle class ones with a house and more than one car. It would feel safer for them to have one EV and once ICE, for eg.

The 50 Million for eg. can come from the National Highway Transportation Survey. The latest survey says 57% of US households have more than one car. There are about 110 Million (edit : 126 in '17) house holds in the US. So we get to about 50 million market, assuming a large portion of multi-car families have a house. When I first came up with the 50 million figure years back, I had a more solid source that I'll have to a spend considerable time to dig up now.

National Household Travel Survey

nhts-households.PNG

Last edited:
As it's pushing on close to midnight in certain time zones, notably US Eastern Time, where Wall Street is, then this not wholly Off Topic post is about on time....

Today, 1 November, marks 100 years since my father was born. I've shared a very small amount about him in the past, including that he was still working about 20-25 hrs each week, including sitting on the board of directors of six corporations, up to three weeks before his death in his 94th year. He had over time been on the board of some three dozen or more, a fact that in itself I know rankles at least one prolific poster here, but he viewed himself as a cross-pollinator, one of the very last of the so-called professional directors. It continues not to be appropriate to name the companies, but quite a number of them are ones whose names all of you would recognize; they range from finance to insurance to banking to railroads to oil to engineering to high tech to pharmaceutical to philanthropical.

As also will not be surprising to those who have followed my postings, he and I crossed swords - to great and unfortunate effect - and only barely reconciled ourselves before his passing. For all the faults I perceived and yet perceive in him, however, I also acknowledge and desire still to be able to act (sometimes!!!!!!) as he did. One nugget I wish to share with you on this anniversary, but first: I want each of you to think back to the year 2005, and consider what you were doing and how your thoughts and actions are similar to or different from those of today.

Now, the seminal part of Dad's life was WWII. He had prepped for military duty by having enrolled in the predecessor to the Navy's ROTC, and by coincidence was scheduled to report to active duty as a Lieutenant (jg) on 8 December, 1941. As such, when the news of Pearl Harbor broke the day before, he immediately raced to his ship, the aircraft carrier Ranger, a day early - and was on active duty, mostly in the Pacific Theater, from then until well after Hiroshima. Succinctly, he spent the entire war killing as many Japanese as he could, and trying to keep from being killed by them.

Now, as I was poring through cabinet after file cabinet of his papers after his death, I came across certain documents that form the crux of this post. In 1958 - and this at a time when it was incredibly difficult for an American to purchase shares even of a UK company, he bought - through the broom-closet Wall St office of a firm no one ever had heard of called Nomura Securities - a large number of shares of one company called Yawata Iron & Steel (this later becomes Nippon Steel, the world's largest steel company in the 1970s-90s), and another unknown company called Sony Corp. Nineteen fifty eight.

1958 is 13 years after 1945. How have your views of things changed in just 13 years? Thus the 2005 question earlier.

I keep that story of him as close to my thoughts, and heart, as I can.

One more vignette, with which we will close the circle. As I wrote, for most of his latter years we were unreconciled, and of course, geographically I have been at the Ends Of The Earth, thus truly out of the loop, so I learned the following only after his death. Electric automobiles had been a passion of mine in the years before I left Wall St; my failure to bring to funding an EV venture was one of several important reasons I soured of the investment world and departed for the bosom of Alaska. In that where I live contact with the outside world was very difficult and tenuous - and even today internet connections are poor (so you all get to run rampant all summers, you heathens you) - for many years the only good source I had of news was the weekly delivery of The Economist. And some time probably late in the summer of 2012, I read of a company that not only had developed a really engaging EV, but it was actually producing them. <Skipping my own embrace of Tesla and move to....> . So after we revealed to one sister our Model S, she said "You know, Dad was in one of these"? Whaaaa? How could that be? "Yes. ______ _______ took him for a ride in his". Whereupon I learned from a close friend and former right hand to Mr. X that Mr. X had been an extremely large early investor, and thus was given (ie, bought!) one of the fable Final Five Roadsters. My friend said that after Dad's time in his Roadster, he turned to Mr X and said "Now I've seen the future - and this is it".

Happy 100th, Dad.
Wish I could add more, but I must say that I love reading your stories.

Riding in a Tesla tends to open people’s eyes for sure. It is the only future I hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.