Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TTAC reviews the EV-1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
1997 General Motors EV-1 Review | The Truth About Cars

Ten years ago, my local electric company invited me to participate in a two-week test of the then-new General Motors EV-1 electric car. After some detailed vetting, including a ten page questionnaire and a long focus group (with the de rigueur one-way mirror), I was selected to receive an electric-powered GM two-seater. For those of you who wonder who killed the electric car, it was me.
gm_ev1.jpg
ev1a.jpg
ev1b.jpg
ev1dwg2.jpg

Why do/did so many people evaluate the EV1 as if it was intended to be the pinnacle of EV development? It was only the very first semi-commercial EV from GM.

Everybody should know that you never swing for the fences on the very first pitch. As a first EV, the EV1 wasn't a home run, but it was a very solid base hit. It should have been something GM could have built on, refined and further developed. By now, GM could have been on EV3, and have the range up and price down to something approximating parity with the dino fueled rides.