Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicle rebate and 'ute tax' killed off in December 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again, as per the above, the RUC that is paid by petrol vehicles is tied to emissions

The amount of RUC a petrol vehicle pays is tied to the emissions of the vehicle.
You can keep saying it but it does not make it true. There is no RUC on petrol cars. There is on petrol trucks and buses, of which there are few left these days.
Yes, it corellates, but it has zero to do with the pricing of RUCs or FED, and it is irrelevant.
This is the truth.

So much disinformation here...
Some folks do not have $760 lying around to pay NZTA for RUC,
My new Tesla comes with $76 worth of RUC courtesy of Tesla.

1 unit of RUC is 1000km and anyone can buy 1 unit a time if that is their lot.

A Leaf does not become uneconomical because it has to contribute 7.6c per km driven. I mentioned this to a lady whose student daughter owns a Leaf. She scoffed at the idea of her daughter possibly complaining about paying RUC.

well... not everyone totally depending on grid at all the time as well...
My house, pool, spa, sauna, and car almost 80% of time run on solar panels and battery array... some automation takes care of handling the right distribution and fine-tuning usage over days across different weathers.... 20% of time is mainly sunless days when things are importing.

there are ways to help climate...

I would rather pay extra on RUC etc. then pay even more on house insurance or have my house flooded or gone in landslide... that's what global warming doing...

I also would rather pay extra on RUC etc. then get to glass repairers and tyre shops frequently because government can't maintain roads used by heavy weight BEV paying no contribution....

choices... choices...

I spend approx. $500-700 every year on charging including home charging costs.... before Tesla I had Audi A8 LWB 4.2L car consuming approx. 13K worth of petrol every year and needing approx. $1000-1500 on servicing every year.... so considering I have Tesla for almost 3 years now - I already saved $42K-43.5K minus $4000 on home charging fitting and running costs plus occasional outside charging.... total $38000+ saved in less than 3 years + less pollution.... Perfect reason to not panic for RUC and vehicle rebate....

I worked out the difference on fuelling a working Rav4 Hybrid, compared to 24hr tariff charging MY and RUC, is 2k a year to me. Justifies the purchase price on that alone.

Servicing costs should be a fraction. I am expecting fuel to increase in price more than power.

Tyres are going to hurt though! Nobody said anything about munching on tyres. My 2T SUV does ok at 80k a set so I was not concerned at a slightly heavier MY.

Mr tyre guy reckons 30k unless really economical with the go pedal. Most of my miles is on smooth bitumen so I hope to surprise him.

I worked out the difference on fuelling a working Rav4 Hybrid, compared to 24hr tariff charging MY and RUC, is 2k a year to me. Justifies the purchase price on that alone.

Servicing costs should be a fraction. I am expecting fuel to increase in price more than power.

Tyres are going to hurt though! Nobody said anything about munching on tyres. My 2T SUV does ok at 80k a set so I was not concerned at a slightly heavier MY.

Mr tyre guy reckons 30k unless really economical with the go pedal. Most of my miles is on smooth bitumen so I hope to surprise him.
people did more than 40-50K on M3 tyres and I am sure few might did the same on MY...

ultimately we buy something we like.... when we calculate every aspect of it and try to predict the future - we start with disappointment... also, you can never account for bad roads after floods, landslides, earthquakes or water damage or getting one of the bad MY as new car delivery....

There was someone explaining that his M3 red had entire aircon divert panel missing and Tesla confirmed that whole batch had the same issue...

so just enjoy what you are buying or pull out and go with what you always liked and enjoyed... have fun.