Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal assembly attachment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a long time I have noticed the right turn signal lens doesn't fit nearly as well as the left in the bumper cover. Today I applied some pressure and found that the end of the assembly toward the center of the car is loose and you can press it in with very little force. The left side is solid. I also noticed that the sensor right under the lens is loose. I removed the right front tire and the inner fender well to see the back of the turn signal assembly. What I found is the assembly is held in by several screws that thread into plastic pads that are glued (or should be) to the back of the bumper cover. The pad toward the center of the car that has one screw that is attached to the turn signal assembly. However, the pad is completely detached from the bumper with about a 1/4" gap. Looking at the edges of the pad I don't see any evidence of any kind of adhesive around the pad.

In addition, the sonar sensor right under the turn signal is also glued to the bumper but only is sticking to one side so if you put any pressure on the sensor, the sensor moves. All of the other sensors and lights that attach to the bumpers on the car seem to be intact with no problems. The front bumper doesn't have any marks on it what so ever and has never been hit by anything. The attachment pads are not cracked of broken nor it the turn signal. They have just fallen off.

This Car is a fairly early build (5XXX) and I have had it over a year. This is the first real problem that has cropped up. I didn't see anything else about this on the forums so hopefully it is not a problem on other vehicles. I am going to call the service center Monday and see what they have to say. Might just glue it back together with 3M 5200 and call it a day. I sure don't want to get into a replacement bumper cover and paint just for this.