Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned on System Today! Tesla App not Showing Solar Production. Possible CT not Connected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Rec’d my PTO today and turned on the system. App isn’t showing solar generation. Checked inverter via login, and solar meter and its producing.

The box that has the disconnect for batteries and solar, has a CT not connected.

Do I connect it to red or black wire coming from the inverter? Or just wait for my installer to come and check it out. They take forever hence why I am asking if I can do it myself.

Attachments

• 4FE88F2D-CE54-4589-ADCA-3F94CE8045F6.jpeg
    4FE88F2D-CE54-4589-ADCA-3F94CE8045F6.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 5185C6BE-DE7F-4061-A36B-F4574D0AF4E2.jpeg
    5185C6BE-DE7F-4061-A36B-F4574D0AF4E2.jpeg
    511.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 8ED0055E-CF46-480F-BEB5-65441359538C.jpeg
    8ED0055E-CF46-480F-BEB5-65441359538C.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 208
  • F5CC2652-B22B-4B3E-8956-89191F4489E6.jpeg
    F5CC2652-B22B-4B3E-8956-89191F4489E6.jpeg
    497.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 3A657C7F-1C1B-4068-89A1-F7202F404F6F.jpeg
    3A657C7F-1C1B-4068-89A1-F7202F404F6F.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 186
Hello,

Rec’d my PTO today and turned on the system. App isn’t showing solar generation. Checked inverter via login, and solar meter and its producing.

The box that has the disconnect for batteries and solar, has a CT not connected.

Do I connect it to red or black wire coming from the inverter? Or just wait for my installer to come and check it out. They take forever hence why I am asking if I can do it myself.
You can do it yourself if you are comfortable working inside the electrical panel.

The CT goes around one wire (not both) coming from the inverter, and usually it's the black wire. Make sure the label is facing the inverter as that is the "source" for the CT.

Also, the two small red/black wires from the CT must be plugged into the Gateway meter for it to work.

When the sun is out, verify that you are getting solar readings in the app.

Reactions: ftrv8
You can do it yourself if you are comfortable working inside the electrical panel.

The CT goes around one wire (not both) coming from the inverter, and usually it's the black wire. Make sure the label is facing the inverter as that is the "source" for the CT.

Also, the two small red/black wires from the CT must be plugged into the Gateway meter for it to work.

Connected the CT to the black wire facing the inverter.

Will check tomorrow in the app / gateway if necessary.

TY!

Reactions: power.saver
Connected the CT to the black wire facing the inverter.

Will check tomorrow in

CT is plugged in on the gateway, but the app still does not show solar generation.

Anything that needs to be done on the app side?

Attachments

• 90E91A18-865D-4BC7-8711-1287DE00877A.jpeg
    90E91A18-865D-4BC7-8711-1287DE00877A.jpeg
    661.3 KB · Views: 216
Anything that needs to be done on the app side?
Is it reporting solar?

Appears the CT is plugged into CT3 on the GW.

If you're so inclined, you could log in locally as installer and verify that CT3 is programmed for Solar and that the x2 (or 2x) box is checked since there is only 1 CT on the solar feed. It will also show the real-time readings from that CT to verify it's working.

But be careful... other settings in the installer should not be changed or your system might not work properly!

Is it reporting solar?

Appears the CT is plugged into CT3 on the GW.

If you're so inclined, you could log in locally as installer and verify that CT3 is programmed for Solar and that the x2 (or 2x) box is checked since there is only 1 CT on the solar feed. It will also show the real-time readings from that CT to verify it's working.

But be careful... other settings in the installer should not be changed or your system might not work properly!
App isn’t showing solar panels, but the animation is showing feed back to the grid.

Will try to find out how to log in locally.

See here for instructions to log in. You need to select Installer to view or configure CTs.

I don't see a GW/TEG in the photos and don't see one mentioned and if there were, the CT would be in that, not the breaker box.

To the OP, have you not tested it since installed? You're allowed to turn it on and verify operation and that everything is working after inspection and BEFORE you pay Tesla. They will fix things MUCH faster if broken and you haven't paid them yet.

Edit: So I the PW labels on the breaker box. What the heck? My GW2 is the breaker box where solar and powewalls connect directly and the only CTs that Tesla monitors are in the GW2. I don't understand what I'm seeing. Could it be a GW1 rather than GW2 with the integrated breakers? I have had my PW/Solar/GW2 install for almost a year now.

I don't see a GW/TEG in the photos and don't see one mentioned and if there were, the CT would be in that, not the breaker box.

To the OP, have you not tested it since installed? You're allowed to turn it on and verify operation and that everything is working after inspection and BEFORE you pay Tesla. They will fix things MUCH faster if broken and you haven't paid them yet.

Edit: So I the PW labels on the breaker box. What the heck? My GW2 is the breaker box where solar and powewalls connect directly and the only CTs that Tesla monitors are in the GW2. I don't understand what I'm seeing. Could it be a GW1 rather than GW2 with the integrated breakers? I have had my PW/Solar/GW2 install for almost a year now.
Hi, the batteries were installed before panels could have been.

Not sure if this piece of info helps. If someone knows of this experience before and have some knowledge on it.

My utility provider is MID in Central Valley California. They had guys come out and were on the phone with HQ and gave the okay to turn on the system, passing it.

My installer is a third party installer, Tesla Powerwall certified installer Sempris Solaris.

Sempris is stating they need an official PTO letter from MID, before they will move to the next step.

Sounded like they will be coming out after the official PTO.

Thank you everyone for responses. Fixed my situation.

If it helps someone in the future…

Batteries were installed before solar was, thus running the wizard under the Installer section, I was able to add the solar system which was not filled out in that section. Also, CT readings came online once I connected to the black wire coming from the inverter as suggested.

Also, self powered option showed up as well in the app.