Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TWC Delivery time to UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last September, I reserved over the phone then drove over to service centre and picked up mine over the counter. The way of ordering has changed since then, but if you can't easily get to a service centre, start a conversation with [email protected], they should be able to give you the info that you need.

When choosing an installer, make sure they are aware of the specific Type-B RCD (or type A with 6mA DC protection sometimes referred to as Type-A-EV) that will be required. These are not common devices and are relatively expensive. This is in the manual. May be worth getting a few quotes first as I have found some installers quoting a huge installation cost for the Tesla unit.

Ace - Thanks all - I've got the most competitive quote from MCW Electrical Services, quoted c. £580 for a UK installation which seems about right - They've installed a lot of the Motopoint charging stations as well as domestic, and come recommended by Tesla - So feel it's a safe bet...

As I live in a 1903 house the hardest part will be wiring underfloor (there's about 2ft of headspace under the ground floor which I've crawled through once to install ground floor installation and it's not fun! I suspect I'll end up "volunteering" to help them out and go under again!). I did find a newspaper from 1956 last time though which was fun to read!

Ace - Thanks all - I've got the most competitive quote from MCW Electrical Services, quoted c. £580 for a UK installation which seems about right - They've installed a lot of the Motopoint charging stations as well as domestic, and come recommended by Tesla - So feel it's a safe bet...

Do double check with the installer about the RCD (not to be confused with a Type B RCBO which does not offer the 6mA DC protection) The Type B RCD alone is ~ £100 or much much more. And yes, I had a Tesla recommended installer come to quote who would not have fitted the compliant part so that is no guarantee. £580 is excellent price if its all compliant.

Do double check with the installer about the RCD (not to be confused with a Type B RCBO which does not offer the 6mA DC protection) The Type B RCD alone is ~ £100 or much much more. And yes, I had a Tesla recommended installer come to quote who would not have fitted the compliant part so that is no guarantee. £580 is excellent price if its all compliant.

Thanks for the heads up! Could you explain (in simple language, sorry!) what the Type B RCD does? My electrics do list RCD I think across them, so hoping all already installed (2015 wiring despite 1901 house!)

Thanks for the heads up! Could you explain (in simple language, sorry!) what the Type B RCD does? My electrics do list RCD I think across them, so hoping all already installed (2015 wiring despite 1901 house!)

A type B RCD is a RCD (a circuit breaker quickly detects certain faults and breaks the circuit that would otherwise potentially kill, as opposed to an MCB that detects over current that may lead to a fire, or a RCBO that combines RCD and MCB functionality but does not provide type B DC RCD protection even if it is a type B RCBO - confused? easy done, the type B in a RCBO means that its a Type B MCB, the RCD will likely be type AC) that is designed to protect against faults that may arise when charging an electric vehicle which have DC circuits. Most RCD's are Type AC which will not protect against this type of fault. An alternative is a Type A RCD with additional DC monitoring either via a separate unit, or integrated all in one and often described as Type-EV - its a marketing term.

Many EV charge points have the required circuits built in, but the Tesla wall connector does not, which is why this protection needs to be built into the external circuitry for both safety and to meet the current electrical regulations.

I'm disappointed to hear a Tesla recommended installer is ignoring Tesla's own requirements: Home Charging Installation
TWC-RCD.jpg