Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two Powerwalls Should Hold 13.5 kWh... Right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two Powerwalls 2. If I am reading correctly, each Powerwall holds 13.5 kWh and allows you to use 12.2 kWh. I set my Powerwall settings to 50% Back-up and 50% Self-Power.

Looking at my Powerwall readout I used only 6.4 kWh and the system read that was 50%. With two Powerwalls shouldn’t my 50% be 12.2 kWh, not 6.4kWh? It appears I am only producing/using half power from my two Powerwalls. Or, am I missing something?

TIA

I have two Powerwalls 2. If I am reading correctly, each Powerwall holds 13.5 kWh and allows you to use 12.2 kWh. I set my Powerwall settings to 50% Back-up and 50% Self-Power.

Looking at my Powerwall readout I used only 6.4 kWh and the system read that was 50%. With two Powerwalls shouldn’t my 50% be 12.2 kWh, not 6.4kWh? It appears I am only producing/using half power from my two Powerwalls. Or, am I missing something?

TIA
Yes, you have the numbers close enough. So, yes, 50% is missing. Are both of the green strips lit up and flashing under discharge? If not, try turning the one that doesn't one off and on. (Switch on the right side, off, wait a couple of minutes and turn on.)
Can you share screenshots?
Good luck,

BG

Reactions: Chuck W.

TIA

Looks like one of them is off or not working. Call (not chat, not email, not app) Tesla energy support at their powerwall support number and ask them to look at it. 877-961-7652

BGbreeder and jjrandorin.... Many thanks for your replies to my post. Based on what BGbreeder suggested I found that one of the Powerwalls was indeed not producing (the one on the right side.... hahaha). The green light is not pulsating and when you turn if off there is no change on the Powerwall output. The other one pulsates and if you turn it off the app goes to zero.

I'll be on the phone to Tesla (thanks for the number jjrandorin) and to the installer on Monday. Going back and looking at the app, sadly the one Powerwall has never produced. I am embarrassed I didn't catch this sooner. But then again, it has only been installed for 15 months... ugh.

Again, thanks for the replies and putting me on the right track, I'll post a follow-up to this posting as soon as it is resolved, We all need closure.

BGbreeder and jjrandorin.... Many thanks for your replies to my post. Based on what BGbreeder suggested I found that one of the Powerwalls was indeed not producing (the one on the right side.... hahaha). The green light is not pulsating and when you turn if off there is no change on the Powerwall output. The other one pulsates and if you turn it off the app goes to zero.

I'll be on the phone to Tesla (thanks for the number jjrandorin) and to the installer on Monday. Going back and looking at the app, sadly the one Powerwall has never produced. I am embarrassed I didn't catch this sooner. But then again, it has only been installed for 15 months... ugh.

Again, thanks for the replies and putting me on the right track, I'll post a follow-up to this posting as soon as it is resolved, We all need closure.
If you have the time this weekend you can try calling anytime. I'm not positive but I seem to remember that has 24/7 availability. Use option 2 for Powerwall support.

Reactions: Chuck W.
You app will show you how many Powerwalls the system recognizes. Here is an example where is shows "POWERWALL - 3x" which corresponds with my three Powerwalls.

Assuming you are comfortable, also double check that the breaker is on. I've accidentally turned one off when I was doing some work in around the panel.

Again... thanks for the replies everyone.

BlinkerFluidExpert... thanks for the advice to call Tesla support on a Sunday morning. They answered!!

arnolddeleaon.... Thanks. My app does show two Powerwalls and I checked all the breakers and everything was good.

The support at Tesla was outstanding. He verified that one of my Powerwalls was down. He was able to tell me that both my Powerwalls were working until last week, Tuesday, August 1, at 1:00 PM. The down Powerwall showed that at that time it had a 10.2 kWh spike and shut down. I was on the phone with him for 36 minutes (most of the time on hold while he worked on it). Despite his efforts, he was unable to restart the down Powerwall. He escalated it to the next level at Tesla and recommended that I call the installer.

Looking at the numbers on the day the Powerwall did, both were fully charged at 1 PM; 100%. According to SCE (my electrical company) my system banked 2.66 kWh between 1 and 2 PM that day. However, it was a hot day and according my Nest system both the upstairs A/C unit (2.5 Ton) and downstairs A/C unit (2 Ton) were cycling on and off throughout the day. I also had the pool filter pump running. It is possible that both A/C units started at the exact time and knocked the power draw to >10 kWh. But, this all seems like a reach.

As soon as I have more from Tesla or the installer I'll post it.

Again... thanks for the replies.

Because we all like closure..... Tesla level two identified the one Powerwall as having a thrown internal circuit breaker and had to be replaced. They shipped the new Powerwall to my installer who promptly installed it at another customer's house. Caused a week or two delay but got the new Powerwall installed yesterday and the system is back where it should be. Just over two months from the time I discovered the Powerwall wasn't working until the new one was up and running.

Thanks to all those that offered help and advice.

Last edited: