Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two week old Powerwall Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KY-Lonewolf

Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2019
Kentucky
I thought I'd share a photo of my new powerwalls..............
My system is comprised of 4 powerwalls, 46 LG 300 W Panels, 2 SMA Inverters, and a Generac BU Generator
Powerwalls.jpg

Very nice. Are you completely off-grid? The Generac does not charge the PW, does it?
I am not completely off grid. The house load overall is too great.
The generator does not charge the powerwalls.
However when grid down, I can use the generator to power the house while the PV panels are filling the powerwalls back up.
Throwing the breaker on the ATS causes the generator to power the house. This isolates the PV panels and Gateway so I can charge up the Powerwalls.

Nice !! How long did the whole process take from time of ordering to finished installation ?
Timeline:
07/17/19 - Initial phone contact w/sales
07/12/19 - Initial "dirty" quotes for a 2, 3, and 4 powerwall install
07/17/19 - Conference call with techs and installers for Q & A
07/26/19 - First real proposal
07/30/19 - Second proposal w/ amendments
08/13/19 - Sales Contract
08/14/19 - Signed contract and down payment made
08/25/19 - Final pre-install site visit
09/23/19 - Installation begins
09/25/19 - Installation complete
10/01/19 - County Inspection
Two and a half months cradle to grave.
It would have been quicker but I asked hundreds of questions

I thought I'd share a photo of my new powerwalls..............
My system is comprised of 4 powerwalls, 46 LG 300 W Panels, 2 SMA Inverters, and a Generac BU Generator
View attachment 463392

I’m on my installation about a month. I’m still working on squashing bugs.

I have, 4 Powerwalls and 33 Hyundai Heavy Industry 355 W Panels with Enphase IQ6Plus Microinverters and Envoy Monitor. In FL if installing more then 12 kW, an additional application and insurance is mandated to the electric utility.

I had used Urban Solar to install the Solar Array and Tesla for the Powerwalls. I have a Parrot, so no cats are in my house. But after relating my experiences related to installation, have been told it’s like hearding cats.

One issue I’m still working on is the Full Battery, Day Time, Disconnected From Grid Scenario, where the Powerwalls output 240 V at 65 HZ and my Microwave Oven and UPS malfunction. What issues have you experienced?

I recently installed an Enphora Vue and expansion module into my distribution panel. This added 10 more CTs to the 3 Envoy CTs and what Tesla’s Gateway has. The idea was to gain a more granular picture of my electric consumption. I think the system has potential, that the current software is limiting.

One issue I’m still working on is the Full Battery, Day Time, Disconnected From Grid Scenario, where the Powerwalls output 240 V at 65 HZ and my Microwave Oven and UPS malfunction. What issues have you experienced?

I

I am still working on the Hz issue. Tesla was supposed to set the Hz at 62.5. They did not.
GRID DOWN TEST - Currently when in "Backup-only mode" or on "Self-powered mode" with a full SOC, the gateway blasts out 65.2 Hz when it thinks the grid is down. 65.2 Hz puts all 14 of my UPS BUs on Battery, throws an error code on my AC mini-split, and makes my clocks run fast. It must be fixed. It doesn't scale down the 65.2 blast until the powerwalls drain down to SOC 96%
Can you imagine if the power went off when I wasn't home? If it were mid day with 9kw production from the PV Panels and the house load was 2 kW, the 65.2 blast would be sent to the inverters at least an hour. It would drain out all the my UPS BUs and destroy their batteries. Key point - I was surprised that the gateway didn't scale down the 65.2 Hz to something lower after the initial blast. My inverters will stay off with as low as 62.0 Hz . At 62.5 Hz my UPS BUs would begin to consume PW power and go off battery.

I am still working on the Hz issue. Tesla was supposed to set the Hz at 62.5. They did not.
GRID DOWN TEST - Currently when in "Backup-only mode" or on "Self-powered mode" with a full SOC, the gateway blasts out 65.2 Hz when it thinks the grid is down. 65.2 Hz puts all 14 of my UPS BUs on Battery, throws an error code on my AC mini-split, and makes my clocks run fast. It must be fixed. It doesn't scale down the 65.2 blast until the powerwalls drain down to SOC 96%
Can you imagine if the power went off when I wasn't home? If it were mid day with 9kw production from the PV Panels and the house load was 2 kW, the 65.2 blast would be sent to the inverters at least an hour. It would drain out all the my UPS BUs and destroy their batteries. Key point - I was surprised that the gateway didn't scale down the 65.2 Hz to something lower after the initial blast. My inverters will stay off with as low as 62.0 Hz . At 62.5 Hz my UPS BUs would begin to consume PW power and go off battery.

I had to submit an online request for service. Then I had to call them to remind them of it. Then they scheduled a visit from a technician, who was, helpful and courteous, but generally clueless about these technical details. He was on the phone with the technical support team, who at first told him that everything is fine and the system is operating as designed. Only after I interrupted them and spoke to them to explain the issue, they changed the setting to 62.5. It took a lot of effort on my part, but it is possible to do.

I had to submit an online request for service. Then I had to call them to remind them of it. Then they scheduled a visit from a technician, who was, helpful and courteous, but generally clueless about these technical details. He was on the phone with the technical support team, who at first told him that everything is fine and the system is operating as designed. Only after I interrupted them and spoke to them to explain the issue, they changed the setting to 62.5. It took a lot of effort on my part, but it is possible to do.

Not sure if you had another issue that required a site visit but for others that have the same frequency issue it can all be done over the phone. The configuration settings are set remotely and I believe even if a tech came on site they'd have to call themselves to get it updated.

Not sure if you had another issue that required a site visit but for others that have the same frequency issue it can all be done over the phone. The configuration settings are set remotely and I believe even if a tech came on site they'd have to call themselves to get it updated.

Yes, they had to call. I agree that it should be done remotely. I tried to to get it done remotely, but the person at the customer service line said "no"

It can be done over the phone, but may require a test to confirm your inverters shut down properly. I had requested 61Hz because my inverter shuts off at 60.5Hz, and that required the test. While the PWs were at 100% they had me open the main breaker, and they tracked the inverter operation as the frequency changed. It took 30 minutes, with about 5 times the inverter shutting off at 60.5Hz as the frequency increased. Once that was confirmed, they remotely made the change. They also asked for the inverter model, since I had solar installed long before the PWs.

I am not completely off grid. The house load overall is too great.
The generator does not charge the powerwalls.
However when grid down, I can use the generator to power the house while the PV panels are filling the powerwalls back up.
Throwing the breaker on the ATS causes the generator to power the house. This isolates the PV panels and Gateway so I can charge up the Powerwalls.

Yes, thank you it was very useful and I had read it previously. But it’s like pulling teeth to get it done. After about a month Tesla tier 2 support, responds via a CS person, that I need to get Enphase to change the must trip /. Shall trip frequency to 60.5, before Tesla can make the change. At this point I’m still waiting on Enphase to get back to me.

Yes, thank you it was very useful and I had read it previously. But it’s like pulling teeth to get it done. After about a month Tesla tier 2 support, responds via a CS person, that I need to get Enphase to change the must trip /. Shall trip frequency to 60.5, before Tesla can make the change. At this point I’m still waiting on Enphase to get back to me.

Er…what model Enphase inverter do you have? Newer ones should be UL 1741 SA certified which if you have a US profile applied means they're already configured correctly. If you have an older or misconfigured one perhaps that makes sense? UL 1741 SA certification means high frequency ride through is defined between 60.5hz-61.9hz for 300s and high frequency must trip is 62.0hz for 0.16s. https://aeesolar.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/UL-1741-Supplement-A_Webinar.pdf. Personally I've had Enphase apply the PREPA 83%/hz (Puerto Rico) which will start to curtail solar production at 60.2hz in an off grid scenario.