Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Typical Battery Charge at Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
n00b/beginner/first EV question incoming:

I just got scheduled to take delivery on my Model Y on a Wednesday (July 29). It's happening a lot faster than I expected (or the advertised 4-8 weeks). I'm excited. I'm nervous. I'm anxious. Yada yada yada.

I have an electrician lined up to wire me up for 240 volt charging, but there's a decent chance I won't have it complete before I take delivery. I have high confidence/strong reason to believe that I'll be able to get wired up for 240 volt without major/significant effort/surgery on the house. But I may live for a few weeks with 120 volt charging before I get wired up for 240 volt.

I live kinda far from the sales and service center. Not SUPER far. But kinda far.

I work kinda far from where I live. 44 miles round trip. Not SUPER far. But enough so that I can probably only barely get my daily commute to work back overnight at 120 volts... and I'm scheduled to be in the office on Thursday (July 30).

I have a "social engagement" with a group of fella's, pretty far from my house, on Friday July 31... It's a group of guys for whom I am *super excited* to show up in my new ride with. It's a group of guys I don't see all that often anymore. It's *the* group of guys who I think are going to appreciate what I've done the most/have the most interest/enthusiasm for my new "toy".

Anybody have any insight/input on how much battery charge Tesla typically has on the battery at delivery? I haven't bought a new car in over a decade, but I feel like I don't remember them having my gas tank even half full when I took delivery... I have a *mild* amount of range anxiety, if only for these early days upon delivery, until the car can sit on my 120 volt charger for enough time to give me a 280+ mile "reservoir" to draw from...

Mine was around 80%

Your inspection and paperwork will probably take you at least an hour, you can request they charge it up for you, they should have at least level 2 charging (30miles per hour added).

Alternatively you can drop by a supercharger (you should anyways to test out the car to make sure that part works well, since it charges the car completely differently by bypassing the onboard charger).