Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyre advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Finally got a tyre tread depth measuring devices off Amazon that seems to work. I have never really worried too much about tyres as for a long time I lived in London, drove not so great cars and of course the average speed is 10 mph. So just went with pretty cheap tyres as they didn't need to do much.

Now I am in Bucks, the roads are much more potholed, I have a Model 3 and a Peugeot 5008, and have more valuable cargo (wife and kids).

But would appreciate any help with what to do with tyres (on both cars!).

Both my cars were bought last summer but are 2021 regs - and just came with the tyres they came with. The M3 Hancook Evo 3s and the Peugeot has Dunlop Sportmaxx and then one Michelin on the rear Left. I think they are original tyres other than the Michelin.

So the M3 is: FL - 4.9, FR - 5.2, RL - 3.1, RR -3.2

The Peugeot is: FL - 5.2, FR - 2.6, RL - 2.5, RR - 4.9

So my questions are:

M3 - I have heard a lot about tyre rotating on forums - would it make sense to get the Rear M3 tyres put on the front and the front ones onto the rear? Or just at some point in the next year pop new tyres on the rear?

Peugeot - This is a weird one as the good ones are diagonal. Maybe put the two best tyres which are the FL and RR on the front and then get two new ones on the rear?

Thoughts very welcome.

Tyre rotation suposedly maintains the handling balance by maintaining more even tread levels front and back . I don't think its a bad thing but I am also yet to be convinced it's worth it with modern stability controls. I'd you are happy to pay someone to do it then go for it other wise just wait for the rears to wear out and replace them

Reactions: WilberDaForce
Tyre rotation suposedly maintains the handling balance by maintaining more even tread levels front and back . I don't think its a bad thing but I am also yet to be convinced it's worth it with modern stability controls. I'd you are happy to pay someone to do it then go for it other wise just wait for the rears to wear out and replace them
If you are happy to drive to a Tesla Service Centre, it is a painless and goid value process to have the wheels diagonally rotated. Of course, prebook.

Hi,

Finally got a tyre tread depth measuring devices off Amazon that seems to work. I have never really worried too much about tyres as for a long time I lived in London, drove not so great cars and of course the average speed is 10 mph. So just went with pretty cheap tyres as they didn't need to do much.

Now I am in Bucks, the roads are much more potholed, I have a Model 3 and a Peugeot 5008, and have more valuable cargo (wife and kids).

But would appreciate any help with what to do with tyres (on both cars!).

Both my cars were bought last summer but are 2021 regs - and just came with the tyres they came with. The M3 Hancook Evo 3s and the Peugeot has Dunlop Sportmaxx and then one Michelin on the rear Left. I think they are original tyres other than the Michelin.

So the M3 is: FL - 4.9, FR - 5.2, RL - 3.1, RR -3.2

The Peugeot is: FL - 5.2, FR - 2.6, RL - 2.5, RR - 4.9

So my questions are:

M3 - I have heard a lot about tyre rotating on forums - would it make sense to get the Rear M3 tyres put on the front and the front ones onto the rear? Or just at some point in the next year pop new tyres on the rear?

Peugeot - This is a weird one as the good ones are diagonal. Maybe put the two best tyres which are the FL and RR on the front and then get two new ones on the rear?

Thoughts very welcome.
Do you have a Dual Motor or RWD M3? I don’t think the tyre rotation advice is there for RWD. It’s to do with the traction control/power systems rather than stability I think. If you have a mechanical 4x4 system tyre rotation is essential, I have no idea why our cars with separate electric motors needs it.
If it’s a RWD it’s down to a choice of rotate and you’ll get to change all 4 tyres together, or don’t and you’ll buy rear tyres only, then front probably.

, I have no idea why our cars with separate electric motors needs it.

I could be wrong ( SWMBO nods sagely). Is it not because initial torque is applied via the more powerful rear motor? The front motor kicks in as more power is required to deliver the speed demanded by my heavy right boot.

Having said that and notwithstanding my heavy boot, The tread depth difference at 8.5k miles was not significant. Nevertheless, I had them rotated at Tesla because, at the Service Centre, they will rotate diagonally which, for me, is the gold standard.

Rangers can rotate your tyres at home/work, you shouldn’t have to visit a SC.
Yes, but not diagonally. Also, if you don't mind the run to the SC, it is cheaper, they have coffee and biscuits and you may get an ad hoc drive in a new M3 ( Ludicrous?). They might even have a Truck.
For me, it is not about " have to", I enjoy a Service Centre visit.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Yes, but not diagonally. Also, if you don't mind the run to the SC, it is cheaper, they have coffee and biscuits and you may get an ad hoc drive in a new M3 ( Ludicrous?). They might even have a Truck.
Couldn’t agree more, I even like the fact you can do either. It’s one of the few Tesla aftermarket things I think is good and market leading.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I had an issue on my LR with traction control restricting power quite significantly, when there was a large difference in tread depths between front and rear.

The experience left me to conclude that this was the reason why Tesla recommend tyre rotation, I now do that and have had no further issues.I don’t think I mentioned but mine is an LR so

Do you have a Dual Motor or RWD M3? I don’t think the tyre rotation advice is there for RWD. It’s to do with the traction control/power systems rather than stability I think. If you have a mechanical 4x4 system tyre rotation is essential, I have no idea why our cars with separate electric motors needs it.
If it’s a RWD it’s down to a choice of rotate and you’ll get to change all 4 tyres together, or don’t and you’ll buy rear tyres only, then front probably.
Sorry I should have said it is a M3LR

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I am not sure if they offer this in the UK either at the SC or with a Ranger - will have to find out. I have a KwikFit at the end of my road so that may be simpler.

I am not sure if they offer this in the UK either at the SC or with a Ranger - will have to find out. I have a KwikFit at the end of my road so that may be simpler.
Erhm ! I am in the UK - London! ( not Ontario).
Ranger Rotate : Front to rear at your home.
Service Centre , where I went 3 months ago, did a diagonal swop for about £47 incl VAT I seem to remember when I booked it over the phone, they quoted ex VAT . as is the wont of the motor trade. Over the last 3 years, I have had four ad hoc test drives. I visit mid week and have been lucky.

The manual doesn't mention being 4wd or 2wd. Screenshot taken from the model Y but seems to be the same advice for the model 3. Didn't bother checking the S or X:

Screenshot from 2024-06-16 17-33-09.png

I just had a rotation done at a local "Tyre Pros" garage at 12k miles. I did have a tire replaced at about 4k due to a puncture and didn't rotate or anything when that happened.

They said all wheels were at 5mm and in good condition. Not sure how accurately they measured them. If the 5mm is to be believed then there is no difference and there was no point. Oh well.

Erhm ! I am in the UK - London! ( not Ontario).
Ranger Rotate : Front to rear at your home.
Service Centre , where I went 3 months ago, did a diagonal swop for about £47 incl VAT I seem to remember when I booked it over the phone, they quoted ex VAT . as is the wont of the motor trade. Over the last 3 years, I have had four ad hoc test drives. I visit mid week and have been lucky.
P.S. Make it known that you want a diagonal swop.