Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tyres or tyres and wheels for winter Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’ve recently bought my first Tesla, it’s a used car, picked up a bargain and saved a fortune on new. First two weeks of ownership so still getting used to it, some fantastic features and other are not so great, my question though is this I need to replace within the next thousand miles the two rear tyres, the front ones are probably around 60% worn. I can get the Michelin originals for £544 a pair and this also includes insurance, (potholes/punctures) £1100 all four.
I like the look of the wheels they make the car look a bit better, for a little more money I can get 18” wheels laced with tyres for the winter months ahead and swap back over next summer and change the tyres then, obviously the new wheels won’t come with the same grade of tyre as the Michelin’s, or do I just stick with what I’ve got. When I sell the car the winter wheels would go with it as an added bonus lol. It won’t look as good but at least I won’t have to be constantly scanning the road ahead. Any thoughts please and Hi to all.
ED293356-3D54-412A-AF74-2740915268D1.png

I need to replace within the next thousand miles the two rear tyres, the front ones are probably around 60% worn. I can get the Michelin originals for £544 a pair and this also includes insurance, (potholes/punctures) £1100 all four.
I like the look of the wheels they make the car look a bit better, for a little more money I can get 18” wheels laced with tyres for the winter months ahead and swap back over next summer and change the tyres then

Having a dedicated set of summer / winter wheels+tire+TPMS sensors combos is the easiest (though not the cheapest) way to go in the long run.

obviously the new wheels won’t come with the same grade of tyre as the Michelin’s, or do I just stick with what I’ve got.

I have no idea what that sentence means.
Get the right tires for the right application. If you need winter tires - get a set of wheels to support winter rubbers.
Your other set of wheels should be supporting max performance summer tires.

Tire brand and model names are of secondary consideration.

When I sell the car the winter wheels would go with it as an added bonus lol. It won’t look as good but at least I won’t have to be constantly scanning the road ahead. Any thoughts please and Hi to all.

You can buy WAY better looking and stronger aftermarket wheels than what Tesla offers.
Tesla wheels are needlessly heavy and soft, susceptible to deformation. You can definitely get lighter/stronger wheels aftermarket.
Style preferences are a very subjective and personal preferences.
Buy whatever makes you smile (subject to budget constraints) !

a

Thanks for the thoughts, I still have t decided what to do, I’ve gone from originally wanting a set of winter wheels to maybe changing the 20” standard wheels to aftermarket 19” lighter and stronger with the added bonus of a slightly softer ride. I’ll make a decision eventually and take some pictures and keep the forum informed. Nice wheels the stock 20” but as with all rims this size on any car they are susceptible to road noise and pot holes. Maybe I should have gone for the m3lr over the performance. That’s another discussion altogether though 🤔🙄