Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tyre - running different sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this will have been covered in some shape or form but wanted to get thoughts.

Model Y RWD with supplied hankook summer tyres. Living in north east Scotland, we do see some decent snow and ice and coming from an Audi with Quattro and winter tyres feel it would be silly not to put on the MY, given it's the family car.

Looking to buy a set of wheels with fitted winter tyres. issue I am having is 255/45/19 tyres are hard to come by or at least a decent brand is not available. There is alot more choice in 245/45/19. Coming from VAG world I know this won't have huge issues other than a slight speedo discrepancy. Just wanted to check if there was any issue with electric cars etc.

Also not likely to fit the TPMS sensors on the winter set, will there just be a warning on screen. Check my pressures regularly at home and top up when needed. Again any issue here.

Any input appreciated.

No issue with running different sizes as long as you choose tyres with a rolling radius close to the summers and the width is suitable for the wheel width (can be + or - 10mm without an issue.
You'd have a much better choice of tyres if you got a set of 18" wheels for the winters. A set of 18x8.5" with 255/55 18 or 245/50 18 would work.
No issue with not fitting TPMS apart from the error nags, but if it were me I'd pay the extra and fit them.

Reactions: Adopado and V13MKE
No issue with not fitting TPMS apart from the error nags, but if it were me I'd pay the extra and fit them.

I had a puncture recently - front left. MS (therefore AWD). I got the TPMS alert on dash (and the fact that the pressure was falling "blinking-fast" told was useful to know!), but I had so little "pull" on steering wheel (compared to punctures that I remember - long ago and back in the days of ICE) that I am not sure I would have realised, without TPMS, which would definitely have been dangerous.

Thanks for the info. i think given the Model Y comes with 19's or 20's. might make most sense to stick with 19's as dropping to 18's would again be another change. Appreciate the thought though as 18's would definitely be cheaper all round.

I had a puncture recently - front left. MS (therefore AWD). I got the TPMS alert on dash (and the fact that the pressure was falling "blinking-fast" told was useful to know!), but I had so little "pull" on steering wheel (compared to punctures that I remember - long ago and back in the days of ICE) that I am not sure I would have realised, without TPMS, which would definitely have been dangerous.
Yes, I tend to agree. I've had a couple of punctures on my Model 3, the first was when I had winter tyres on and I actually didn't believe the TPMS warning to begin with because I'd already driven a few hundred yards from home and it felt OK. We're using tyres with a high load rating on these cars and the side walls tend to be quite stiff, which I think makes the difference.

Thanks for the info. i think given the Model Y comes with 19's or 20's. might make most sense to stick with 19's as dropping to 18's would again be another change. Appreciate the thought though as 18's would definitely be cheaper all round.
Not just cheaper. Much more choice of all season/winter tyres in 18", plus you'll end up saving weight which will help to offset the range loss at low temperatures.

I actually didn't believe the TPMS warning to begin with because I'd already driven a few hundred yards from home and it felt OK

I went a lot further than that! "Stupid TPMS is reading low again" ... "Wow, its dropping really quickly" ... "Doh! Maybe there IS a problem" 🤡

the side walls tend to be quite stiff

Mine wasn't after I got home ... but I think that was 'coz of my reluctance to stop and pump it up more often!

After I pumped it the first time the "tread indicator" wasn't much below the tyre surface and I figured might not be repairable, and hadn't got much life left., so I let it get really low between pump-ups - car was surprisingly stable with Front Left at 5 PSI !!

Not a big surprise when garage said "Not going to be able to repair that" !

Reactions: Dangerous Fish

Have ordered from here in the past. Have used Model 3 as sourcing as model Y does not show the same option for 18's only 19's

Believe Model 3 and Y have same bolt pattern 5X114.3. Correct me if I am wrong?

Screenshot 2023-11-02 154715.png

Have ordered from here in the past. Have used Model 3 as sourcing as model Y does not show the same option for 18's only 19's

Believe Model 3 and Y have same bolt pattern 5X114.3. Correct me if I am wrong?

View attachment 987282
Yes, same bolt pattern between Y and 3 as they are essentially the same car. Just got to be careful with Performance versions to make sure 18" clear the rear calipers. i.e. the Tesla 18" aeros from the SR/LR won't fit on a M3P. Aftermarket 18" usually will (but check before buying!)

Looking to buy a set of wheels with fitted winter tyres. issue I am having is 255/45/19 tyres are hard to come by or at least a decent brand is not available.
Michelin Cross Climate 2 are available from quite a few suppliers - Kwik Fit were doing them for just over £800 for the set which is a V good price for one of the best all seasons out there and probably just as good as many of the winter sets out there.

Thank for the reply, Whilst appreciate the all season option have always preferred a dedicated winter and summer set of wheels. When a set of alloys and tyres can be picked up for £1,200 granted it's more to start with but can then change myself when i want instead of relying on a fitter to do it and having to pay each time.

Reactions: M1tch
Whilst appreciate the all season option have always preferred a dedicated winter and summer set of wheels.

Me too ... but I do wonder if All Season would be a better choice for me - but you are a long way North of me ... and I drive to the Alps to ski, albeit only once or twice a year, but Winter Tyres on an alpine road covered in packed snow all the way up from the valley floor is like night-and-day - even compared to the folks with chains as I nip past them ...)

As an update to this thread. I wanted to originally fit 18's to my model y with dedicated winter tyres. No company in UK seemed happy to supply an 18 inch wheel package. Due to brake caliper clearance they would only supply 19's.

Being in the north east of Scotland we do get some pretty bad weather and a few weeks ago a large amount of Snow (more forecast soon) and below freezing temps. The RWD MY can get by ok but the Hankook tyres are not great in these conditions. Being the family car not wanting to take any risks. I have always seen the benefit to fitting winter tyres and having a dedicated winter and summer set for the car (not interested in anyone's opinions who thinks winter tyres are pointless)

Without much option I went with the 19inch Romac wheels, with Goodyear Ultragrip Performance + winter tyres

I know black wheels aren't to everyone's tastes but fitment was fine these are 8J wide wheels compared to the 9J wide wheels that come as standard. They sit a little further into the arches than the standard wheels (Spacers would sort that - i'm not bothered).

Softer rubber so ride comfort improved. Chose not to bother with the TPMS sensors and after a few drives the car still hasn't picked up there isn't any fitted, not sure if that's because i have selected winter tyres in the car settings. Will see how that goes.

I don't see any issues with clearance for a 18 inch wheel, which is frustrating as the rubber for the 18inch would be a good bit cheaper.

Anyway more for information if anyone is wanting opinions on aftermarket wheels and winter tyres.

Front Wheel.jpg
Rear Wheel.jpg
Side view 1.jpg
Side View.jpg

There is no issue fitting 18" wheels. I think that little myth has come about from the fact that you can't fit the 18" aeros to the Performance models.
You could fit Model 3 18" wheels to your Y as it doesn't have Performance calipers.

ETA: Oh I now see I mentioned that back in November. Shame the companies you spoke to don't know the facts but par for the course...

Yes, finding a set of model 3 18 inch wheels in decent enough condition was an issue, then finding the corresponding tyres was taking it close in price to the brand new set of 19inch wheels i now have. I am more than happy with the 19 inch wheels - so no issue for me. It's the online wheel supply companies simply wont entertain anything other than a 19 inch wheel for the Model Y

If I had sourced an 18 inch wheel set (model 3) and fitted them to the car and they didn't fit they wouldn't have accepted a return. so wasn't worth the risk.

Yes, finding a set of model 3 18 inch wheels in decent enough condition was an issue, then finding the corresponding tyres was taking it close in price to the brand new set of 19inch wheels i now have. I am more than happy with the 19 inch wheels - so no issue for me. It's the online wheel supply companies simply wont entertain anything other than a 19 inch wheel for the Model Y

If I had sourced an 18 inch wheel set (model 3) and fitted them to the car and they didn't fit they wouldn't have accepted a return. so wasn't worth the risk.
I suppose there is also the potential issue that MY doesn't have an 18" option from the factory so you could have been into the usual warranty/insurance liability question marks. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your 19s and I think the wheels look great TBH. (although I'm a bit biased as I have a set of black rims myself...).

I have always seen the benefit to fitting winter tyres and having a dedicated winter and summer set for the car (not interested in anyone's opinions who thinks winter tyres are pointless)

No truck from me on that.

We first fitted Winter Tyres yonks ago when we were going skiing in the Alps (and didn't like the idea of buying chains for that one trip up and down the mountain). Front wheel drive people carrier. That year, first time in decades of driving to skiing, there was packed snow on the road from the valley floor.

Gendarme pulled everyone over to fit chains, we thought we might be stuffed, but Wifee leant out of the window, pointed to the wheels, and said "Pneus hiver" and he waved us on (no idea if "wheels suitable", or just "mad Englishman" applied!)

We sailed up the mountain road, overtook everyone struggling at slow speed on chains going clank-clank-clank.

I've fitted Winter Tyres every year since and to the "kids" cars

Reactions: V13MKE