Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

U S. salvage branded car since 2020 in the EU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Tuesday I am buying a U.S. 2013 Tesla Model S with original 161,000 km (100k miles). The car had a "moderate" damage in 2019 in the U.S. and was sold with a salvage title to Lithuania in Europe (Carfax has the 2019 mileage, and there are records of the mileages from the State technical inspections in the EU since then). The damage was mainly to the front.

The car had only 1 owner since 2020 and they have no Supercharger anywhere nearby (hence never tried). The car has a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter and seemingly charges with it, and it charges via 240V home charger and Level 2 charger.

The current owners never married the car to a TESLA account and likely never made any software updates (unless their Tesla service did, but it is an unauthorized one because Tesla has no authorized dealer in Lithuania).

The car drove some 40,000 km since it was restored. It just passed the state technical inspection.

I buy it because it is dirt cheap and really looks very good. And it drove 40k km in the past 4 years.

Now my questions:
Likely Tesla Supercharging is disabled (salvage title). In my county (Latvia) there is no official Tesla dealer. Should I try marrying the Tesla with my Tesla account? Or are there any risks? Should I try any software updates? (my first Tesla, no clue how it works). And finally (a hypothetical question, because illegal): if an unauthorised Tesla service would enable Supercharging - what could happen? Sparks, fireworks? Tesla detecting it and having the car somehow disabled? The car has no warranty anymore and it's in Latvia then (no Tesla dealer here). So actually pretty unlikely that Tesla would find out, no?
The supercharging isn't actually important to me. I charge in the backyard. Would just be nice on longer trips. If however super illegal AND potentially a fire/explosion Hazard: not worth it obviously. Can (unauthorised) Tesla services do some testing regarding the supercharging? To see whether it's safe in this car?

I also don't need the Tesla Account thing or EU maps (I heard U.S. cars have only U S. maps). The car drives, it passes the state technical inspections and it can fast charge on CHAdeMO (we have then everywhere here), Level 2 and 240V home charger. I guess that's good enough especially at the really low price I buy it

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• tesla-model-s-60-kwh-hecbekas-2013-elektra-4.jpg
    tesla-model-s-60-kwh-hecbekas-2013-elektra-4.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 3