Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Title but was declared a total loss by insurance. Tesla rep says no supercharging. Are they wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, first post, and proud owner of my first Tesla as of two weeks ago. Found tons of valuable info here as I was researching, thanks to everyone.

Q: Recently purchased a used 2020 Model 3 SR+ with ~14,000 miles. It has a clean title but Carfax history shows it had a "minor to moderate" collision in late 2021 at the front driver side fender and was claimed "total loss" by insurance at the time. However, it has since been repaired and somehow(?) still has a clean title.

The original owner purchased and drove the car in TX (actually, I think it may have been leased). Best I can tell from the Carfax, after the accident it was sold, fixed, and resold to a second owner in CA. The second owner then traded it into a dealer in CA, which is where I bought it. I've wanted a Model 3 for years now and finally decided to pull the trigger.

We take semi-frequent longer roadtrips (300-500 miles) and so Supercharging is fairly important to us. I did a ton of research before buying a used Model 3 and thought I was safe with this car because despite it having a previous accident, it still has a clean title. We have a roadtrip coming up in about 2 weeks, so I went to test out the Supercharging a few days ago and when I plugged it in, the screen gave me a message "Supercharging Not Enabled. Try AC Charging." Thought it was maybe because I hadn't set up a payment method yet, so I did that, and still received the same message. So I call Tesla and they tell me the vehicle has a salvage title. I explain that I'm aware it had a prior accident but it actually has a clean title. This seemed to shock the rep I was speaking with, and he said he had to talk to his manager and would get back to me. A few days later I get an email from who I assume was his manager and it just said "Our records are not wrong. We cannot clear the title. Call the person you bought the vehicle from."

So now I'm concerned that I may have missed a nuance during my research and that it's not just salvage title vehicles that can't supercharge, but any vehicle that has had an accident or that Tesla deems unfit.
Does anyone know any more detail about being able to supercharge a car with clean title that has had an accident?
Is the Tesla rep I spoke to wrong?
Can they in fact update the title in their system to be clean and re-enable supercharging?
Or is there any sort of inspection I can have them do to clear it for supercharging? If so, any idea on cost?
There are no other public non-Tesla "superchargers" we can use are there?
This would be a huge bummer for us if we couldn't supercharge, hoping I didn't fail in my research and buy a car that can't supercharge :/.

Thank you!

Z

Pricing is different now than over the summer.
Expect around 900$, the battery doesn’t come out, they just look the car over much like a PPI would.
I was asking a member who did it, what he paid.. i know prices could vary by location n time...
HV inspection SPECIFIC to enabling SC wasn't even available till now it seems... i don't know how summer is relative here...
The cars call home every moment of every day that they’re on(slight hyperbole), mothership knows.
what does this statement have to do with my question??

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
I was asking a member who did it, what he paid.. i know prices could vary by location n time...
HV inspection SPECIFIC to enabling SC wasn't even available till now it seems... i don't know how summer is relative here...

what does this statement have to do with my question??
1. Dude… chill.
2. In his own post “May of 2022” = summer.
3. Please calm down, you might have a heart attack, the internet isn’t that serious. HV inspection and the new SC inspection are one in the same.

Source: someone that’s done it /since/ it became a policy. (The last 13days)

Cool to see they’re doing retroactive reactivation for those that passed before the policy became a real thing.

• Disagree
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
I was charged $660.00 for the Hight Voltage Inspection in April of 2022. While the Inspection Report made it clear that SALVAGED title vehicle would lose support sush as Supercharging, I was never told that in advance and I thought that I would continue to be able to charge until I discovered that was not the case in May of 2022. I am attaching the last entry of an email thread from Tesla of Santa fe that I got yesterday. 73D57269-5B15-40CE-BE27-0F3A5C7DEDAA.png

Upvote 0
1. Dude… chill.
2. In his own post “May of 2022” = summer.
3. Please calm down, you might have a heart attack, the internet isn’t that serious. HV inspection and the new SC inspection are one in the same.

Source: someone that’s done it /since/ it became a policy. (The last 13days)

Cool to see they’re doing retroactive reactivation for those that passed before the policy became a real thing.
I was chill n am chill :) did extra ? mark triggered u?
I overlooked "May" so thank u, i apologize.
Also thank you for confirming its one n the same. You could've just linked ur other post instead of being so vague...

And u still didn't answer my question about mothership... I'm genuinely curious why u brought it up?..
I do know all about how Tesla's work n communicate...

Sorry for derailing this tread.

• Funny
Upvote 0
I did get a pretty good deal on it. Or so I thought before all of this! We paid $41k. 2020 SR+ w/ 14k miles and FSD package included. Overall I think still a pretty good price, and probably a fair price given the title. Definitely a big bummer on the title and supercharging, but we still love it. It runs and drives like new. We will probably just keep it as our daily driver, with plans to upgrade to a legit clean title LR model down the road. Thanks for all the input and knowledge everyone. I had no idea a title could be washed. A good lesson!
I don’t know if you’ll see this or not, you haven’t been on in a month. Anyway I don’t believe the FSD will still be available on a car that Tesla knows is a salvage. I don’t believe they update the car’s firmware, and you might check with Tesla about the fate of the FSD on your car. Since it was sold to you as a FSD car, that loss of FSD might be another thing that would help you.

I hope you were able to unwind the purchase. Keep in mind that when you sell it, it’ll be worth very much less than a car that hasn’t had a history of a salvage title. That anticipated decreased value may be reason enough to unwind that purchase even though you seem tempted to keep it.

Good luck.

• Disagree
Upvote 0