Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber to exploit flying taxis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uber-will-introduce-flying-taxi-service-by-2020-official-says.jpg

Uber will launch flying taxis in Texas and Dubai by 2020, the company's chief product officer Jeff Holden has announced at the Uber Elevate Summit. Using small electric VTOL (Vertical Take-off and Landing) aircraft, Uber will charge passengers $1.32 per mile (about £1.03 at current rates).
Uber flying taxi cars to take to skies in 2020 | Autocar

What do you think? Is this a viable new way for Tesla to expand business (instead of Musk's tunneling ideas)?
Musk has been speculating about flying cars too in the past.

What do you think? Is this a viable new way for Tesla to expand business (instead of Musk's tunneling ideas)?
Musk has been speculating about flying cars too in the past.
I recall Elon saying more than once that he thinks "flying cars" are a bad idea. My impression is that it is not something he is interested in.

I think his goal of dramatically lowering tunneling costs is worthwhile. Putting transportation underground is the logical approach for cities. London and Manhattan started doing it over a century ago and it is essential to making those area work. LA could definitely benefit. And the Hyperloop would be better placed underground for a variety of reasons.

• Informative
Reactions: voyager
Other than a carnival ride it's a pretty stupid idea for mass transportation. Density issues, wind velocities between tall buildings, power wires, fog, footprint per passenger, power efficiency, etc.

But I love the price. That's about the cost per mile just for permission to drive on the King's Highway (Fastrak) in California and you supply the car, and there is no guarantee it's not gridlocked.

I recall Elon saying more than once that he thinks "flying cars" are a bad idea. My impression is that it is not something he is interested in.

Both tunneling and hyperloop require vast amounts of prior investments in infrastructure to make them happen.
Don't know if governments will be eager to commit themselves.
Flying cars or flying taxis are 'standalone modalities'. The main investment is in realizing them technologically.
Rules and regulations come next.