Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Company Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon all.

I am just doing a financial justification on a 330e (current car) v a T3 (next to be ordered I hope). Just wondered if anyone had an experience in doing this as a company car.

20k a year in mileage, 3 years running costs.

I need to show a saving over the 330e in running costs, as I suspect the T3 will be a lot more on lease.

Thanks

Probably get a better response posting here than on the US forum: The UK and Ireland

Anyway for what it's worth: If you can charge off peak at 10p/kw then 20K miles will cost ~ £720 Superchargers are ~24p/kw
What is the cost of petrol for a 330e over 20K miles?
Also T3 car tax is zero and maintenance cost is almost zero (less tyres)

Yeah mate you want to go with octopus agile 5p/kw off peak for 4 hrs, with a 7kW charger you will get at least 84 miles a day at that cost.

I’ve did loads of these calcs over the years. DM and I’ll help you out. Model 3 standard is probably equivalent to bmw330e

Probably get a better response posting here than on the US forum: The UK and Ireland

Anyway for what it's worth: If you can charge off peak at 10p/kw then 20K miles will cost ~ £720 Superchargers are ~24p/kw
What is the cost of petrol for a 330e over 20K miles?
Also T3 car tax is zero and maintenance cost is almost zero (less tyres)

Nice one, posted on the UK group too. Standard tax next year is 1%, which is amazing, 2% the year after. Not sure about fully expensed cars yet, to see if I get taxed again on private fuel.

What is the cost of petrol for a 330e over 20K miles? Well that is kinda hard to work out. Offically it shows it as 62mpg, and that is about £1500 a year in fuel. In real terms I dont get 40mpg.

We do lease

Who are you trying to show a saving for?

In MPG stakes, the Model 3's smoke the 330e which has an artificially inflated official MPG due to its tiny battery (+ two-litre petrol engine!).

In BIK stakes, it's 7% vs 0%. Another win for the Model 3.

The 330e is cheaper than the Model 3 SR+ but not by much.

If you're commuting any distance at all on the motorways (beyond the range of the hybrid battery ~ 20 miles) then the Model 3 is the clear winner.

Model 3 is cheaper to maintain.

*Shrug* does this help?

Reactions: craigwbaker

In MPG stakes, the Model 3's smoke the 330e which has an artificially inflated official MPG due to its tiny battery (+ two-litre petrol engine!).

If you're commuting any distance at all on the motorways (beyond the range of the hybrid battery ~ 20 miles) then the Model 3 is the clear winner.

*Shrug* does this help?

Basically the business I work for. I have to show in plain ££ that it will not cost them more to take the M3 over 3 years, 20k miles, than it does now. That is lease and running costs. BIK is not relevant, that helps me, not them.

As for distance, yep, I do quite a few journeys over 200miles, hence the M3 (and Tesla super highway) wanted.

If I cant show a saving, or no worse off, then its a straight no.

Basically the business I work for. I have to show in plain ££ that it will not cost them more to take the M3 over 3 years, 20k miles, than it does now. That is lease and running costs. BIK is not relevant, that helps me, not them.

As for distance, yep, I do quite a few journeys over 200miles, hence the M3 (and Tesla super highway) wanted.

If I cant show a saving, or no worse off, then its a straight no.

BIK is relevant - there will be a BIK on the BMW which your Employer will pay 13.8% Class 1A NICs on as well as on Fuel

So if the BMW costs 40K @ 7% BIK @ 13.8% that's 400 saving to the Company, similar calc on the fuel, maybe another 200

Reactions: OneTinyFish

*Shrug* does this help?

Wow, in Aus the 330e is almost the same price as an AWD - and thats without any options on the 330e.

The dont normally, that is what I have asked for, to help me out

Sent you a DM I think the savings will be higher than you think with the M3 if it’s not your own company.

I have two M3’s at the moment and a model x and have had several BMWs over the last couple years.

I love the Tesla’s they are great cars, but there is a lot of hysteria around them. Drive it, see what you think? Build quality isn’t as good as BMW, IMO but it’s premium.

I just returned my 330e and I’m awaiting arrival of my M3. The 330e did really well for my 22 mile commute because I could get around 16 miles of that out of the battery but if you’re driving 20,000 miles a year most of your driving will just be using the standard engine which doesn’t get close to 65mpg. Maybe argue that the official mpg isn’t even close.

The 330e was really nice btw, great to drive, looked awesome, nice and quiet...but if you like technology then the Tesla looks to be a step up!

good luck.

Sent you a DM I think the savings will be higher than you think with the M3 if it’s not your own company.

I have two M3’s at the moment and a model x and have had several BMWs over the last couple years.

I love the Tesla’s they are great cars, but there is a lot of hysteria around them. Drive it, see what you think? Build quality isn’t as good as BMW, IMO but it’s premium.

I have driven a few, thanks. Got yout DM, much appreciated