Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK MXLR+ second hand considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll give it a go with the M3 as a comparison.

Its a bit "synthetic", but I suppose you could compare wheel sizes on a particular year of M3 and see what difference the prediction is. I don't know how well that would translate (i.e. as a percentage difference) to different wheel sizes on an MX. The aerodynamics are going to be a lot different - e.g. taller car so perhaps it can accommodate "taller wheels" with less overall impact.

When M3 first came out quite a big deal was made of the 18" combo with "Aero hubcaps" (from people saying they were ugly, to those saying they were efficient - personally for me the photos looked terrible but when I saw them in the flesh I thought they were fine and never took mine off)

I watch Bjorn Nylands videos where he routinely drives down to single digit percent. He's in Norway and EVs and chargers are everywhere ... but I've never done that, and sometimes the "prediction" jumps around (only at times when I want it to be accurate!)

More than once I have stopped to charge because (e.g. in wet weather) it looks like its going to be very tight, but as I get closer to the Supercharger the range creeps up a bit, but I decide to stop anyway ... and range continues increasing after refuelling, such that I could have got home quite easily.

Bit hard to reproduce that test! but I wonder if range calculation overcompensates when it find that I am getting less range (because of rain) than expected.

Reactions: Pete_Nikola
Its a bit "synthetic", but I suppose you could compare wheel sizes on a particular year of M3 and see what difference the prediction is. I don't know how well that would translate (i.e. as a percentage difference) to different wheel sizes on an MX. The aerodynamics are going to be a lot different - e.g. taller car so perhaps it can accommodate "taller wheels" with less overall impact.

When M3 first came out quite a big deal was made of the 18" combo with "Aero hubcaps" (from people saying they were ugly, to those saying they were efficient - personally for me the photos looked terrible but when I saw them in the flesh I thought they were fine and never took mine off)

I watch Bjorn Nylands videos where he routinely drives down to single digit percent. He's in Norway and EVs and chargers are everywhere ... but I've never done that, and sometimes the "prediction" jumps around (only at times when I want it to be accurate!)

More than once I have stopped to charge because (e.g. in wet weather) it looks like its going to be very tight, but as I get closer to the Supercharger the range creeps up a bit, but I decide to stop anyway ... and range continues increasing after refuelling, such that I could have got home quite easily.

Bit hard to reproduce that test! but I wonder if range calculation overcompensates when it find that I am getting less range (because of rain) than expected.
Thanks for that. Very insightful.

I took a look at the US Tesla site where the MX is still available to order. It states there that the standard 20" wheels will give you 335 range (EPA est) as opposed to the 22" will give 322 range (EPA est).

This is obviously for the 2024 MX rather than the 2021 MX but presumably is a relatively accurate comparison?

presumably is a relatively accurate comparison?

Here's my soup-to-nuts thinking on Range (I'm assuming you are coming from ICE and not familiar with EV, yet)

@gangzoom opinion upthread is the most valuable, he drives an (old) MX and its a short-range model, he takes it all over EU and says that stopping to fill up is a non event for him. When I was doing 30K miles p.a. on business what I wanted was "Fill up on RETURN leg". Supercharging has unknown time length - back then sharing a pair-of-stalls meant reduced power / longer charging stop, and if all stalls were full I would also have to wait, I did not want that on the OUTBOUND TO the client. On the way back I just sat and did my emails - which I would have had to do the moment I got home, so "time neutral"

So ... from your figures I reckon "3-5% or thereabouts"

There are quite a lot of factors that will vary a specific journey by that amount - weather, whether you are in a hurry!, traffic or roadworks is great of increasing range :). There will be few journeys where that is, precisely, the different between "Getting there" and "Having to make a splash-and-dash"

I don't think I'd think about it until it was 10% less than "optimum".

My current car is just shy of 300 miles (motorway speeds).

If I go a long way (drive - charge - drive - charge ...) then I will be stopping at around 10%, and charging to 70%, maybe 80%. That 60-70% of 300 miles is 180-210. At 130 KPH (France) is about 2.25 hours. Reality is that there won't be a Supercharger at exactly that distance, so in practice I will drive between 1.5 and 2.5 hours between stops. 1.5 hours is a bit short (if there is a further Supercharger I'll charge to 80% to be able to get there, Supercharging above 80% is very slow and not worth it unless it is critical).

Here's a real example (returning from Alps to UK). Orchestrated so that we arrived at Lunch as close to empty as we dared "empty" and used that time to fill to "full", but other than that it shows "real-world" for where Superchargers were a bit too close together and we had to do a short-stint, and others "just right". Notice we made slower progress once we got to the UK !!

alpssoc-gif.782913

But this only matters when you are driving beyond range. If that is once a year then its entirely up to you how much hanging about you want ... but, when we used to drive "non stop" tot eh Alps, we were MUCH younger and arrived knackered!, and now we are MUCH older and the multiple 20 minute stops (which only increases door-to-door from 12 hours to 13 hours) we arrive in really good shape. (Suspension probably better too, and ever since I have had AutoPilot, since 2015, I have found a noticeable reduction in tiredness on long journeys - reduced driver effort, even though I have adaptive-cruise on previous cars, so AP has only removed micro steering adjustments, but its a noticeable difference)

If out of range every month, or every week, then IME I would pay for more Range every time. First Tesla we had was 240 miles (motorway range). 10%-70% of that is only 145 miles - 1h45m MAX at 130 KPH. I was supercharging twice a month (30K miles p.a., mostly out-and-back journeys to Clients). Mind you ... that totted up to total 8 hours a year, which was exactly the same total time as filling an ICE p.a. for that mileage :)

Since moving to 300 mile range my supercharging has reduced to a couple of times a year, barring the Alps trip, as I can now make pretty much all my out-and-back journeys on a single tank.

Here's my soup-to-nuts thinking on Range (I'm assuming you are coming from ICE and not familiar with EV, yet)

@gangzoom opinion upthread is the most valuable, he drives an (old) MX and its a short-range model, he takes it all over EU and says that stopping to fill up is a non event for him. When I was doing 30K miles p.a. on business what I wanted was "Fill up on RETURN leg". Supercharging has unknown time length - back then sharing a pair-of-stalls meant reduced power / longer charging stop, and if all stalls were full I would also have to wait, I did not want that on the OUTBOUND TO the client. On the way back I just sat and did my emails - which I would have had to do the moment I got home, so "time neutral"

So ... from your figures I reckon "3-5% or thereabouts"

There are quite a lot of factors that will vary a specific journey by that amount - weather, whether you are in a hurry!, traffic or roadworks is great of increasing range :). There will be few journeys where that is, precisely, the different between "Getting there" and "Having to make a splash-and-dash"

I don't think I'd think about it until it was 10% less than "optimum".

My current car is just shy of 300 miles (motorway speeds).

If I go a long way (drive - charge - drive - charge ...) then I will be stopping at around 10%, and charging to 70%, maybe 80%. That 60-70% of 300 miles is 180-210. At 130 KPH (France) is about 2.25 hours. Reality is that there won't be a Supercharger at exactly that distance, so in practice I will drive between 1.5 and 2.5 hours between stops. 1.5 hours is a bit short (if there is a further Supercharger I'll charge to 80% to be able to get there, Supercharging above 80% is very slow and not worth it unless it is critical).

Here's a real example (returning from Alps to UK). Orchestrated so that we arrived at Lunch as close to empty as we dared "empty" and used that time to fill to "full", but other than that it shows "real-world" for where Superchargers were a bit too close together and we had to do a short-stint, and others "just right". Notice we made slower progress once we got to the UK !!

alpssoc-gif.782913

But this only matters when you are driving beyond range. If that is once a year then its entirely up to you how much hanging about you want ... but, when we used to drive "non stop" tot eh Alps, we were MUCH younger and arrived knackered!, and now we are MUCH older and the multiple 20 minute stops (which only increases door-to-door from 12 hours to 13 hours) we arrive in really good shape. (Suspension probably better too, and ever since I have had AutoPilot, since 2015, I have found a noticeable reduction in tiredness on long journeys - reduced driver effort, even though I have adaptive-cruise on previous cars, so AP has only removed micro steering adjustments, but its a noticeable difference)

If out of range every month, or every week, then IME I would pay for more Range every time. First Tesla we had was 240 miles (motorway range). 10%-70% of that is only 145 miles - 1h45m MAX at 130 KPH. I was supercharging twice a month (30K miles p.a., mostly out-and-back journeys to Clients). Mind you ... that totted up to total 8 hours a year, which was exactly the same total time as filling an ICE p.a. for that mileage :)

Since moving to 300 mile range my supercharging has reduced to a couple of times a year, barring the Alps trip, as I can now make pretty much all my out-and-back journeys on a single tank.
Very, very helpful. Thank you again.

@Pete_Nikola Honestly you are spliting hairs with the questions on range etc. Any Tesla ever made has more than enough range for most normal people. A long range X will be absolutely fine for range unless you're one of the few people that must tow a caravan up the Alps in the middle of winter :).
That's good to know thanks. I will not be towing a caravan. :)

• Funny
Reactions: WannabeOwner
My normal journey would be 155 miles, starting from home (with home charger) and to another house with home charger and back again a couple of days later.

I just want to be sure that I would have a car that could do that in all weather and seasons without having to supercharge on the way. For the majority of the time at least anyway.

Is that doable do you think?

^150 miles none stop is our regular trip from Leicester to Cardiff. The only time we have to stop is if there is torrential rain/wind, and that's in out 75D X, in a LR+ you will have no issues.

If the wind is blowing in the right direction some consumption figures on our soon to be 7 X is quite mad, and that's driving at M-way speeds, not tailgating lorries etc.

53279640414_e6ff72aef2_k_d.jpg

53279751315_93a9b1b0ee_c_d.jpg

Hello, yes I have an plus MS, and the software page does say this, but I understand this also be confused with the performance ludicrous plus functionality. Also, my car has a version H battery as opposed to the non-plus version G.. You can see this stamped on the battery pack behind the front driver’s side wheel. Finally, my car reports a full battery range of 397 miles.

View attachment 1010695
Hi all I'm also in England & a bit confused. 12Pack when you say you have a plus MS do you mean a 2020/12 Model S LR+ with a H 103 kWh nominal capacity BTXA battery pack or a 2020/12 Model S Performance Ludicrous Raven +with an H bp. ? Great that you are 'still' showing a full battery R of 397 miles. Does this vary when you plan a trip on motorways or when it's colder ?
Many thanks,

I think the 7 refers to the MS07 model S & the H can only be seen on the battery pack.
I was referring to the 7th digit in the VIN.

Taken from Tesla-info.com:

"Digit 7 is a vehicle attribute linked to battery type (but not battery size) and charger. E being usually Lithium Ion, F being Lithium Iron/LFP etc. Not all cars from 2022 follow the format precisely, especially E and F."

Hi all I'm also in England & a bit confused. 12Pack when you say you have a plus MS do you mean a 2020/12 Model S LR+ with a H 103 kWh nominal capacity BTXA battery pack or a 2020/12 Model S Performance Ludicrous Raven +with an H bp. ? Great that you are 'still' showing a full battery R of 397 miles. Does this vary when you plan a trip on motorways or when it's colder ?
Many thanks,
Hi yes to all your questions . It is a 103.9kWh nominal Ludicrous+ Raven MS. And certainly the range drops in winter and with increasing speed. I mitigate by charging the battery and preconditioning till just before I leave. And I set EAP to 70 mph, so I average less than that (I leave my performance driving for the track, where it belongs). Seems like for my regular business drive, the difference in winter is 7-10% lower range.