Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK MXLR+ second hand considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to buy second hand late 2020 MXLR + in the UK.
Apart from obvious second hand issues on any car to look out for, is there anything specific to the MXLR + (plus) that I should be looking out for?
How can I even be sure it is the + (plus) version in the UK for example?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BushFox
@12Pack has a plus version of a model S I believe so hopefully he might be able to chime in on that front.
Thanks.

One of the issues I am experiencing is that Autotrader UK is listing some MX LR as Plus when they are not. I spoke to one dealer about this and they confirmed that Autotrader (UK) listings are "automatically" added from minimum details they provide.
I suspect that Autotrader are going by the registration date so any MXLR registered after October 2020, the date I believe you could no longer order the MX LR but had to order the MX LR + (plus), they show on Autotrader as being a Plus model even when they are not.

If the seller has shown a photograph of the "System" page on the listing it can be seen there if it is just LR or LR +.

LongRangePlus.jpg

But if they haven't shown this in the listing I can find no way of differentiating between LR and LR+.

Hello, yes I have an plus MS, and the software page does say this, but I understand this also be confused with the performance ludicrous plus functionality. Also, my car has a version H battery as opposed to the non-plus version G.. You can see this stamped on the battery pack behind the front driver’s side wheel. Finally, my car reports a full battery range of 397 miles.

IMG_3341.jpeg

I bought a new Raven MX Long Range (not the plus) in October 2019. It has been an excellent and well made car (it’s from the days when they were shipped in containers to Tilburg and reassembled there!) with very few issues. My battery degradation as far as I can tell is minimal. The only real issue I had was this Christmas Eve when it went dead but soon fixed by Tesla (free of charge under extended warranty). The HV battery coolant heater had failed causing the car to shut down. This can’t really be checked for, it’s just one of those things.
All I can suggest checking is wear on the inside of the rear tyres, not always visible from the outside unless you get down on the ground. Mine were down to the canvas after 20000 miles and apparently is due to the car having a fixed camber angle and as it lowers itself with the adaptive suspension at speeds over 55mph the tyres were rapidly.

Reactions: Pete_Nikola
I bought a new Raven MX Long Range (not the plus) in October 2019. It has been an excellent and well made car (it’s from the days when they were shipped in containers to Tilburg and reassembled there!) with very few issues. My battery degradation as far as I can tell is minimal. The only real issue I had was this Christmas Eve when it went dead but soon fixed by Tesla (free of charge under extended warranty). The HV battery coolant heater had failed causing the car to shut down. This can’t really be checked for, it’s just one of those things.
All I can suggest checking is wear on the inside of the rear tyres, not always visible from the outside unless you get down on the ground. Mine were down to the canvas after 20000 miles and apparently is due to the car having a fixed camber angle and as it lowers itself with the adaptive suspension at speeds over 55mph the tyres were rapidly.

In relation to your HV battery coolant heater failure, mine failed too in December. Unfortunately, I was out of warranty on my MS and so it cost over £1,000 to repair. That was early December. Later in December I saw a YouTube Video mentioning something along the lines of a sofware update having potentially caused this as there were some cases in the USA. Now I'm wondering whether there were a lot of these around December. So if anyone else reading this had a similar issue in December please make yourself known!

Hello, yes I have an plus MS, and the software page does say this, but I understand this also be confused with the performance ludicrous plus functionality. Also, my car has a version H battery as opposed to the non-plus version G.. You can see this stamped on the battery pack behind the front driver’s side wheel. Finally, my car reports a full battery range of 397 miles.

View attachment 1010695
Thanks for that is is very helpful. Is the H battery reflected in the VIN? ( I believe Digit 7 is linked to battery type) This would help me check if my future car had it or not without travelling miles to see it first.

Thanks Tony. Very helpful and definitely something I will look out for now.

Thanks for that is is very helpful. Is the H battery reflected in the VIN? ( I believe Digit 7 is linked to battery type) This would help me check if my future car had it or not without travelling miles to see it first.
I understand that digit may have been used for some years to represent battery type (E= NCA, F=LFP) but not battery capacity.

Have now seen a few MX LR Plus available with the 22" wheels.
I am sure I read somewhere on this forum that the bigger wheels will reduce range, is this the case and if so by how much?

Is it a reliable guide to look at the Wh/mi reading on the car's display to see what its actual range could be?

Thanks.

Have now seen a few MX LR Plus available with the 22" wheels.
I am sure I read somewhere on this forum that the bigger wheels will reduce range, is this the case and if so by how much?

Is it a reliable guide to look at the Wh/mi reading on the car's display to see what its actual range could be?

Thanks.

Unlike some other EVs Teslas use a standardised range on the figure that appears beside the battery icon on the screen. This means that it is like an advertised EPA rating so not necessarily what you can expect in real driving depending on journey. The car does give accurate consumption figures once you have put a destination in the navigation/satnav (it shows what percentage you will have left at the end of your trip). There is also an Energy screen that shows detail of range/consumption. Bigger (heavier) wheels always reduce range to some extent... I don't know specifically how this goes in your Model X example.

what its actual range could be?

Along with other suggestions you could have a go with ABetterRoutePlanner. You can fiddle with Model / Wheels (and Weather Temperature/Wind thus simulating Winter/Summer and Wet/Dry etc.) and then choose a destination for an actual long journey (return if you like) that you will want to drive, and see if you will make it in onw go and, if not, where it suggests you charge and for how long.

Unlike some other EVs Teslas use a standardised range on the figure that appears beside the battery icon on the screen. This means that it is like an advertised EPA rating so not necessarily what you can expect in real driving depending on journey. The car does give accurate consumption figures once you have put a destination in the navigation/satnav (it shows what percentage you will have left at the end of your trip). There is also an Energy screen that shows detail of range/consumption. Bigger (heavier) wheels always reduce range to some extent... I don't know specifically how this goes in your Model X example.
Thanks for all this , very helpful. Is this what you might be referring to as the "Energy Screen"?

TeslaWh_per_mile.jpg

(That was taken from 3 current listings on Autotrader).

Along with other suggestions you could have a go with ABetterRoutePlanner. You can fiddle with Model / Wheels (and Weather Temperature/Wind thus simulating Winter/Summer and Wet/Dry etc.) and then choose a destination for an actual long journey (return if you like) that you will want to drive, and see if you will make it in onw go and, if not, where it suggests you charge and for how long.
Thanks. I tried this but couldn't find out how to change wheel size etc. Am I missing something?

Coming up to 7 years and 85k in various pre raven Xs. 22inch wheels increases consumption by about 5% at 70mph, but they make the ride much worse and nosier on any pre raven car.

You should see about 2.5-3 miles per kWh at 70-75mph in summer so with a 90kWh usable battery 270 miles ish range. In winter, short trips sub 2miles per kWh is not unusual from a cold start, once warmed up about 10% worse rance than summer. With a LR+ I would still expect 230 miles+ range in winter.

Our 75D (SR) pack has about 7% degradation at 75k. LR+ pack should be sub 5% degradation at 100k.

Coming up to 7 years and 85k in various pre raven Xs. 22inch wheels increases consumption by about 5% at 70mph, but they make the ride much worse and nosier on any pre raven car.

You should see about 2.5-3 miles per kWh at 70-75mph in summer so with a 90kWh usable battery 270 miles ish range. In winter, short trips sub 2miles per kWh is not unusual from a cold start, once warmed up about 10% worse rance than summer. With a LR+ I would still expect 230 miles+ range in winter.

Our 75D (SR) pack has about 7% degradation at 75k. LR+ pack should be sub 5% degradation at 100k.
Very helpful. Thank you.