Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(UK) No Driveway - Over Pavement Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am about to order a Model 3 Long Range as a company car. I do a lot of miles as a rep but from the charging points around my routes I’m happy it will work out with a charge or two a day.

my real issue is charging at night as I have no drive way. I live on a quiet estate where the plan was the run the charging cable from the garage over the pavement to the car. It’s only a short run and I would be putting a yellow hard cover over the cable and a light is there to highlight it at night.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I use the 24ft cable that came with the car whenever I visit friends overnight. But, that's 110volts, u only get 4 miles per hour. I have 220volt outlet on the side of my house. I get 22 miles per hour from that 50amp breaker.
U say "pavement ", u mean driveway? Ok as long as no one drives over it, thats not good idea. Ruin cable after awhile. Mine has been laying in yard for 4 yrs.

I use the 24ft cable that came with the car whenever I visit friends overnight. But, that's 110volts, u only get 4 miles per hour. I have 220volt outlet on the side of my house. I get 22 miles per hour from that 50amp breaker.
U say "pavement ", u mean driveway? Ok as long as no one drives over it, thats not good idea. Ruin cable after awhile. Mine has been laying in yard for 4 yrs.

Unfortunately I don’t have a drive way. I can park in front of my garage where I plan to put the 7KW charger and then run the cable under a cover (about 2m) to the car. Nobody can drive over the cable there but people would walk over it from time to time.

Presume you can’t park the car in the garage?

I’m pretty confident that your plan will breach some sort of local law, but I would beg forgiveness rather than seek permission. You might also find yourself in a world of pain if somebody tripped over it and injured themselves.

It probably wouldn’t cost much to have a post installed on the edge of the pavement with a cable to it buried under the pavement, but I’m sure it would take ages to get the required approvals even if they were granted.

Thank you!

For easy for other people the link a couple deep says:

Penalty for placing rope, etc. across highway.

A person who for any purpose places any rope, wire or other apparatus across a highway in such a manner as to be likely to cause danger to persons using the highway is, unless he proves that he had taken all necessary means to give adequate warning of the danger, guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

I believe covering the cable with the yellow ramp and light to highlight it at night takes the measures I can but no idea.

I have a new build and the garage is too narrow to fit a car in without sliding down the side of it each time. Because of this I converted half of it into a usual space leaving the other half for storage.

Not sure what to do now!

Thank you!

For easy for other people the link a couple deep says:

Penalty for placing rope, etc. across highway.

A person who for any purpose places any rope, wire or other apparatus across a highway in such a manner as to be likely to cause danger to persons using the highway is, unless he proves that he had taken all necessary means to give adequate warning of the danger, guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [F1level 3 on the standard scale].

I believe covering the cable with the yellow ramp and light to highlight it at night takes the measures I can but no idea.

I have a new build and the garage is too narrow to fit a car in without sliding down the side of it each time. Because of this I converted half of it into a usual space leaving the other half for storage.

Not sure what to do now!

You are quoting the word "highway" which maybe in britan means something else than it means for us.

In any case, you should never put a wire across a public sidewalk or road. The wire must go UNDER and you must secure permissions from the appropriate authorities. If no law exists, they will make one just for you.

Do you own this pavement? If you do then you are fine.

Also, you do not need to charge at night if you can charge during the day at your company location.

Indeed it does mean something different in the UK. It has a specific legal meaning under The Highways Act 1980. A rather soporific read even if one has the legal experience to understand it. ;)

I think the plan you mentioned in your first post should be fine. The cover / light are good ideas. One option:

1-Channel Drop-Over Guardian Cable Protector for 0.5

More here:
Outdoor Wire cover - Google Shopping..

People should be watching out anyway where they walk as there could be other hazards, e.g. a branch that blew on the pavement or a variation in the pavement height.

To be extra safe, you could optionally put a Watch Your Step sign on the wire cover.

Enjoy your Tesla!

Last edited: