Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage to small to reach charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

I test drove a Model 3 yesterday and loved it. We drove it home to put in the garage as part of the test because we weren't sure it would fit. It does. Just.

However, I had a sudden realisation today that we will have trouble plugging the thing in. Our garage is also the entrance to our house (there's a separate gate beside the garage door and path up the side) and the car is tight to the front back and one side. This means we need to reverse in so that we can actually get out the driver's door but that puts the charging port against the other wall (I'm in the UK so it's a RHD)

Now, of course, I have no car to test with so I was wondering if anyone had experience with solving this problem.
The questions I have are:
  • If I drive it in front first, this would mean clambering over to the passenger side to get out. How difficult is that?
  • If I reversed it in, would it possible to reach the port and plug it in from the rear window if I hand the cable somewhere within reach?
  • I know the car isn't supposed to move when plugged in but is there a way to override this so I could leave space to walk round the back, plug it in and then reverse it the last couple feet?
  • Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

• I can’t imagine climbing over the center console twice a day. A M3 is small.
  • Reaching the charge port from the back window is impossible.
  • Never heard of being able to move the car when it’s plugged in. If you found a way to override that feature it would be an accident waiting to happen, especially with RHD.
  • Sounds like you’d have to charge it in the driveway or use a commercial charging station.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
Upvote 0
Thinking out of the box.

Could you cut an access hole in the wall so you could plug in from outside the garage? These access hole doors are commonly used for plumbing access.

IMG_1090.jpeg

Upvote 0
That would be perfect... except it won't plug itself in :(
But you could have it park nose in, which would give you access to the charging port while the door was open.

Another idea, WAYYY outside the box, would be to open the boot, crawl into that area by folding the rear seats down, and plug from there. If it were a Model Y, that might even be reasonable, but then it wouldn't fit in the garage, would it?

I can't really imagine relying on either method on a daily basis. Can you explain better why you can't park nose in against the other wall so you could still get out? Maybe a picture or two would spark some ideas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you explain better why you can't park nose in against the other wall so you could still get out?
The problem is that this is a right hand drive car. So it would need space on the right side of the car to open the driver's door, and ALSO need space on the left side of the car because that's where the charging port is. The problem in this scenario is that the car can be pulled in various ways to give space on only one side or the other, but not both.

Upvote 0
Nice idea. Unfortunately there's no parking outside the garage.
This is a great idea! Can you create an access window or small door that is on the side of the garage right outside the charging port? Pull in, get out walk around to the outside of the garage, open the small door, plug in. You would want to mount your wall charge on the outside of your garage but that's ok.

Upvote 0
The problem is that this is a right hand drive car. So it would need space on the right side of the car to open the driver's door, and ALSO need space on the left side of the car because that's where the charging port is. The problem in this scenario is that the car can be pulled in various ways to give space on only one side or the other, but not both.
If that was all it was, he could park nose in against the left hand wall, get out and plug it in while standing behind the car with the garage door open. There seems to be some reason he can't park against that side of the garage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0