Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage to small to reach charging port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey!

I test drove a Model 3 yesterday and loved it. We drove it home to put in the garage as part of the test because we weren't sure it would fit. It does. Just.

However, I had a sudden realisation today that we will have trouble plugging the thing in. Our garage is also the entrance to our house (there's a separate gate beside the garage door and path up the side) and the car is tight to the front back and one side. This means we need to reverse in so that we can actually get out the driver's door but that puts the charging port against the other wall (I'm in the UK so it's a RHD)

Now, of course, I have no car to test with so I was wondering if anyone had experience with solving this problem.
The questions I have are:
  • If I drive it in front first, this would mean clambering over to the passenger side to get out. How difficult is that?
  • If I reversed it in, would it possible to reach the port and plug it in from the rear window if I hand the cable somewhere within reach?
  • I know the car isn't supposed to move when plugged in but is there a way to override this so I could leave space to walk round the back, plug it in and then reverse it the last couple feet?
  • Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

I posted the solution on page 1, I guess I wasn’t clear.
  • Install the wall charger inside near the front left side of the garage.
  • Pull into the garage head first tight to the left wall. It’s right hand drive.
  • Locate where the charging port will be when the Tesla is parked.
  • Cut an access hole in the garage opposite the Tesla charging port. About 16” square.
  • Install an access cover. Hang the plug at the access hole inside the garage.
  • Put the car in the garage. Again, head in tight to the left wall.
  • Go outside the garage. Open the access cover door, reach through and plug in.
  • Close the door on the access cover and let the car charge.

IMG_1095.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I posted the solution on page 1, I guess I wasn’t clear.
  • Install the wall charger inside near the front left side of the garage.
  • Pull into the garage head first tight to the left wall. It’s right hand drive.
  • Locate where the charging port will be when the Tesla is parked.
  • Cut an access hole in the garage opposite the Tesla charging port. About 16” square.
  • Install an access cover. Hang the plug at the access hole inside the garage.
  • Put the car in the garage. Again, head in tight to the left wall.
  • Go outside the garage. Open the access cover door, reach through and plug in.
  • Close the door on the access cover and let the car charge.

View attachment 984915

You were clear, but the posted solution requires punching a hole in his garage. Not exactly a slam dunk.

Upvote 0
Wow. Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay in responding! I actually saw a video on YouTube from someone whose garage was tighter than mine and I'm convinced it will actually be just about doable given some patience and foam on the walls to protect the doors!

Can you explain better why you can't park nose in against the other wall so you could still get out? Maybe a picture or two would spark some ideas.
Yeah, the issue is that the garage is also the entrance to my house. So there's a human gate and a car garage door at the front, with a post in between. Opposite the gate is the front door to the house. So this means there's space on one side because it's the path to my house but I can't park the car in it because of the post between the gate and the door... unless I could contrive to go in at an angle but I think I'm testing my driving skills then!

I've tried to draw a diagram to explain (attached)!

No, the idea is you park in the garage, then access the port via the hole in the garage while standing outside it.

Oh that's an amazing idea! Unfortunately, it's a garage built into a terraced house. If I did that I'd be standing in my neigbour's hallway :D

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-10-25 14-22-09.png
    Screenshot from 2023-10-25 14-22-09.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 0