Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Number Plate Full Removal - Can Anyone Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put green plates on earlier this year. It was a fine balance of brute force and delicacy required to pop tabs out to separate the two halves of the frame. I don't know if it's the same, I have 2019 M3P.

That’s the first thing I’m doing when I (finally) get my Model 3 - those godawful Tesla frames are being ripped off, the black mount on the rear is coming off and completely plain plates (no green flash) being stuck on.

For a car so beautifully designed, and so minimalist inside/out, those silly frames are a terrible idea.

That’s the first thing I’m doing when I (finally) get my Model 3 - those godawful Tesla frames are being ripped off, the black mount on the rear is coming off and completely plain plates (no green flash) being stuck on.

For a car so beautifully designed, and so minimalist inside/out, those silly frames are a terrible idea.
just don't try vinyl on the back. doesn't work. its not flat under that holder once you take it off

On the subject of the number plates, what is the best way to fill the holes on the front bumper once you have removed the frame? I have a vinyl plate that I want to put on but seen a couple videos online about using filler but that requires sanding and just can’t think about sanding close to the paint work even if it will be covered. Is there something else anyone recommends to get a completely flat surface when filling?

On the subject of the number plates, what is the best way to fill the holes on the front bumper once you have removed the frame? I have a vinyl plate that I want to put on but seen a couple videos online about using filler but that requires sanding and just can’t think about sanding close to the paint work even if it will be covered. Is there something else anyone recommends to get a completely flat surface when filling?
I used bluetack and smoothened it by hand. It did not give the exact smooth finish (as I am sure sanding would do), but like you - I did not like the idea of sanding the paintwork. After affixing the vinyl you hardly see the gaps from the screw holes. TBH, affixing the vinyl without a wrinkles or air bubbles was a bigger problem for me than fixing the holes.

Reactions: Tesl@_MCS
Do the holes really matter, given that they will be covered by the new plate anyway and particularly if you stick the foam tape accross them they won't have any impact on the surface?

Apologies - missed the point about a vinyl plate.

Reactions: Tesl@_MCS
Once you've taken the rear surround off, isn't the back mounting plate smaller than the actual number plate, so you can just mount it via double sided tape directly to that?
No, annoyingly. The one on the front is the correct height for a UK plate but the rear one is taller so you either have to remove it completely (and stick the number plate directly to the car) or do what one YouTuber did and take a hacksaw to it to shorten it (wouldn’t be my choice)

Reactions: Nick77
I used bluetack and smoothened it by hand. It did not give the exact smooth finish (as I am sure sanding would do), but like you - I did not like the idea of sanding the paintwork. After affixing the vinyl you hardly see the gaps from the screw holes. TBH, affixing the vinyl without a wrinkles or air bubbles was a bigger problem for me than fixing the holes.
I have seen some non Tesla related videos about Vinyl plates and using a wet solution rather than dry. This is supposed to make the air bubbles easy to get out and easier to move about to get it centred and straight.

I plan to film the whole process and publish it if it goes well......if you don't see me linking the video then you know what happened 😂

I have seen some non Tesla related videos about Vinyl plates and using a wet solution rather than dry. This is supposed to make the air bubbles easy to get out and easier to move about to get it centred and straight.

I plan to film the whole process and publish it if it goes well......if you don't see me linking the video then you know what happened 😂
There is a whole thread on Stick on number plates. An excellent post by @Roy W. describes how to use soap solution - I followed his instructions and have a perfect, bubble-free vinyl plate on my M3. But don't mount it too high or you can block the radar (see my post).

There is a whole thread on Stick on number plates. An excellent post by @Roy W. describes how to use soap solution - I followed his instructions and have a perfect, bubble-free vinyl plate on my M3. But don't mount it too high or you can block the radar (see my post).
Agree to that! I have to say it is a matter of practice. I did my back (easy) plate first and it is less perfect than the front which I did second. If I have to affix few more plates, the quality will certainly improve. The problem is when you watched all videos and then do it first time yourself. In my experience it is hardly same easy as on Youtube (but it could be just me).

PS. Removing the plate holders, replacing trunk struts, installing interior LED lights were all as easy as on the Youtube videos for me, so it depends what better skills you have!

Well that was fun!
Tesla supplied black plastic monstrosities removed, front and rear. They are terribly engineered, cheap and just nasty, They retain water and muck and are not up to the standard of the car....

Just as important, they don't securely fix the plates to the car, which in some European countries, is illegal. Once you know ow to remove the plate from the frame it is the work of seconds to steal the plate.

I've fitted my old plates from the "donor car" temporarily with screws, using the back part of the front mount and screwing into the OEM plate mounting plugs.

With the old holes and "Mercedes of Salisbury" they will not stay long, I need to get Vinyl for the front, not sure about the back, I can't decide between vinyl and pressed metal. Talking of metal, I was surprised to find the Tesla plates with a green stripe are metal!!

Rear Number Plate.jpg

Reactions: NATO
Just done this. Very easy to do. Only took me 20 mins and most of that was prepping the surfaces and trying peel the damn backs off the 3M tape!

Looks infinitely better. I thought I'd got the rear plate slightly higher on the right but I measured and its spot on. I used a bit of electrical tape in all four corners of the original plate/holder to line it up right.

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_153608.jpg
    IMG_20210628_153608.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_20210628_155646.jpg
    IMG_20210628_155646.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20210628_155601.jpg
    IMG_20210628_155601.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: NATO
Just done this. Very easy to do. Only took me 20 mins and most of that was prepping the surfaces and trying peel the damn backs off the 3M tape!

Looks infinitely better. I thought I'd got the rear plate slightly higher on the right but I measured and its spot on. I used a bit of electrical tape in all four corners of the original plate/holder to line it up right.
Looks great. I purchased a vinyl plate for the front (not yet fitted), but much prefer the look of your plastic/metal plate attached to the front.
How did you get it to sit on the curved bumper?