Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, new to the forums here. I was advised the beginning of last week (by customer services) to place an order for the Tesla Model 3 performance in December for a delivery in March (new registration).
However, on Friday of the same week the price was increased by £3,000 - had I have known or been advised, I would have placed the order at the time. Customer services informed me afterwards they were unaware of the increase (which I find hard to believe). Do Tesla not respond to emails? I have sent two over the past few weeks.
As you might appreciate, I'm not happy and has certainly tainted my opinion and whether I order one - anyone else been through these problems?

"customer service" at tesla would be the last people to know about price increases. As is typical of almost all car businesses the people who are helping people sell the cars are not told about "price increases" that may or may not be coming, because they are supposed to be focused on selling the car in front of them / the customer.

So, I disagree with your premise that customer service must have somehow known and just didnt tell you. I am also not quite understanding the rest of your post. You probably told them you wanted a car in march of next year, so they told you to order by december. If you ordered it now, you certainly would not have gotten it in march of next year.

If you expected them to tell you "better order now, because the price is going up in a few days!" that would not have happened unless there was a public announcement by tesla itself of a price increase. If they had said that, you likely would have come here and posted about high pressure sales tactics.

"customer service" at tesla would be the last people to know about price increases. As is typical of almost all car businesses the people who are helping people sell the cars are not told about "price increases" that may or may not be coming, because they are supposed to be focused on selling the car in front of them / the customer.

So, I disagree with your premise that customer service must have somehow known and just didnt tell you. I am also not quite understanding the rest of your post. You probably told them you wanted a car in march of next year, so they told you to order by december. If you ordered it now, you certainly would not have gotten it in march of next year.

If you expected them to tell you "better order now, because the price is going up in a few days!" that would not have happened unless there was a public announcement by tesla itself of a price increase. If they had said that, you likely would have come here and posted about high pressure sales tactics.

I was wrong in referencing customer service ( as that seems to be non existent!) - the number that I rang was for sales and with other car manufacturers they know when there is an increase incoming.
I've previously bought cars very easily in agreeing a delivery date without any problems. As for the buying in December for a delivery date of March, yes that is the response I was given as there is approximately a 12 week delivery.
I understand they are very popular and gaining high orders and attribute the increase to demand.
No I wouldnt have considered it pressured sales tactics as you can cancel anytime - and that doesn't really help the situation or resolve it anyway.

I was wrong in referencing customer service ( as that seems to be non existent!) - the number that I rang was for sales and with other car manufacturers they know when there is an increase incoming.
I've previously bought cars very easily in agreeing a delivery date without any problems. As for the buying in December for a delivery date of March, yes that is the response I was given as there is approximately a 12 week delivery.
I understand they are very popular and gaining high orders and attribute the increase to demand.
No I wouldnt have considered it pressured sales tactics as you can cancel anytime - and that doesn't really help the situation or resolve it anyway.

Maybe its different in the UK, but almost universally here, if a person you are working with says "buy now or the price is going to increase" it is frowned upon. Also, as I said, here in the US with other manufacturers, since you are working with a person an negotiating on a price, you have zero way of knowing of any real price increase etc. You are negotiating on a price above or below "invoice", and adding all of your "winter wonderland" or "december to remember" and "owner loyalty" savings.

So for every other car manufacturer, price increases or decreases are simply removal or adding of extra incentives.

The other point in your post I dont understand is, you mention buying in december for march delivery. Thats fine, but then you talk about the price going up NOW, and if you had known that, you would have ordered now. You really would have listened to them if they said "Price is going up by the end of the week, we know you said you want the car next march but you better order now!"

You make it sound like your answer to the above statement would have been " you know what, you are right, I wanted the car in march of 2020 but I better order it now, taking delivery sometime in december".

Is that correct?

Maybe its different in the UK, but almost universally here, if a person you are working with says "buy now or the price is going to increase" it is frowned upon. Also, as I said, here in the US with other manufacturers, since you are working with a person an negotiating on a price, you have zero way of knowing of any real price increase etc. You are negotiating on a price above or below "invoice", and adding all of your "winter wonderland" or "december to remember" and "owner loyalty" savings.

So for every other car manufacturer, price increases or decreases are simply removal or adding of extra incentives.

The other point in your post I dont understand is, you mention buying in december for march delivery. Thats fine, but then you talk about the price going up NOW, and if you had known that, you would have ordered now. You really would have listened to them if they said "Price is going up by the end of the week, we know you said you want the car next march but you better order now!"

You make it sound like your answer to the above statement would have been " you know what, you are right, I wanted the car in march of 2020 but I better order it now, taking delivery sometime in december".

Is that correct?

Hi,

Apologies first of all as I didn't realise you were in the US.
Generally in the UK the prices have a set recommended retail price (RRP) - depending on the manufacturer, sales, time of year etc. A discount can be had, also if buying for a company you can also obtain a fleet discount in addition to the dealer discount.
However with Tesla there is no negotiation, the price is fixed in the Uk, no discount.
Yes I was looking for the car in March, however I would have opted for a December delivery if it had meant saving a £3,000 increase, why pay more than you have to?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin