Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Tesla Wall Charger, temporarily extending using supplied Tesla cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I have a 2020 Model 3, and have the official Tesla Wall Charger.
However my house temporarily has scaffolding on the outside whilst we do a loft conversion, as such the Tesla Wall Charger Cable length is now not quite long enough now to reach the car.
I had hoped to simply extend the Wall Charger cable, by using the official Tesla Cable supplied with the car for use with third party wall chargers.

The two cables fit neatly together and I can reach my car port ok. However despite this, there is no power sent down the newly extended cable to the car, and the car does not charge. The adaptor fits neatly in the charge port and locks in place, but no power delivery. Strange, as the Wall Charger does work normally just fine.

Is there anyway to resolve this? What Ideally do not want to to do is spend a couple of hundred pounds on another extension cable, given that the scaffolding in front of my house will be gone in about 2 months. Is there an adaptor available that would resolve the communication issue?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

You can not extend a Type 2 cable, the connectors are specifically designed to prevent them connecting the pins if you plug male to female. It's a safety thing as you would have a connection that is not controlled by a locking mechanism.

Maybe see if you can temporarily use your 3pin Mobile charger instead.

In fact...in the classifieds here -

A month old so might be sold

As others have mentioned, the spec is designed such that you shouldn’t be able to extend type 2 cables as a safety measure. I would simply use a regular (13A continuous load rated) extension cable with the granny charger, if you can.

I don't know anything about this item and it's not a recommendation, but I think others on this site have purchased from this reseller.

I do see type 2 extension leads for sale.

In the description, it does say it extends an existing tethered cable.

I don't know anything about this item and it's not a recommendation, but I think others on this site have purchased from this reseller.

I do see type 2 extension leads for sale.

In the description, it does say it extends an existing tethered cable.

As per your link, there are extension cables available that have specifically been developed to circumvent the regulations. One uses them at their own risk!

As per your link, there are extension cables available that have specifically been developed to circumvent the regulations. One uses them at their own risk!

Hence my very deliberate wording.

It's not my area of knowledge to know exactly where the line is drawn and provide a reference to back it up.

It's not right for me to give my opinion either way, as it would only be my opinion.

Hopefully someone in this profession can give advice with references. Especially if the UK reseller shouldn't be reselling, as otherwise they look alright.