Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK's safest car, with no deaths in 16 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dec 22, 2014
UK
UK's safest car, with no deaths in 16 years or ever, is the Volvo XC90

Britain's safest car revealed, with no road deaths in 16 years

Since the launch of the Volvo XC90 in 2002, the car has sold more than 50,000 units, and researchers attribute the spotless safety record to the car’s early adoption of hazard detection technology that warns drivers of potential collisions.

2016-Volvo-XC90-10-1600x960.jpg

stats may be impressive, but can't help thinking there's been some luck involved

you could equally argue from Tesla's perspective they had some bad luck with the recent MX fatal accident into an unreset barrier.
I rather suspect that had an XC90 hit that barrier in the same way the result would have been the same. Leave the AP argument out as non- AP cars had also hit the same barrier multiple times - fortuitously in a reset working condition.

Cars are getting safer though and that is no bad thing for all of us.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
That's nice, but as I think about it. here's the safest "vehicle" ever. It's self driving auto-pilot horse doesn't run off the road, merges effectively, won't collide with others, and gets incredible mileage with no charging. Hey Elon; way ahead of you on this AP. :rolleyes:
Only problem is no Bio Defense mode, so it gets a little stinky at times.

untitled.png

Couldn't find the safest in the US, but here's a list of cars with no deaths in 4 years:

• Audi Q7 SUV
  • Volkswagen (VLKAF) Tiguan two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Toyota Tacoma Double Cab long bed four-wheel-drive pickup
  • Mazda CX-9 two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Audi A6 all-wheel-drive
  • Jeep Cherokee all-wheel-drive SUV
  • BMW 535 i and is
  • BMW 535xi
  • Lexus RX 350 two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Lexus CT 200h
  • Mercedes-Benz M-class SUV (called GLE-class in its current version)

But here's the problem: The Lexus CT 200h is a Prius. It's on the list because it's rare. As are most the cars on the list. You'd need a list of deaths per million miles cumulative to get an answer. Cars that are best sellers might be safer in reality than a car that has only a handful on the roads.

Couldn't find the safest in the US, but here's a list of cars with no deaths in 4 years:

• Audi Q7 SUV
  • Volkswagen (VLKAF) Tiguan two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Toyota Tacoma Double Cab long bed four-wheel-drive pickup
  • Mazda CX-9 two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Audi A6 all-wheel-drive
  • Jeep Cherokee all-wheel-drive SUV
  • BMW 535 i and is
  • BMW 535xi
  • Lexus RX 350 two-wheel-drive SUV
  • Lexus CT 200h
  • Mercedes-Benz M-class SUV (called GLE-class in its current version)

Well Rat, that is only because my wife doesn't drive any of those :eek:

I used to work for Volvo and years ago they had a marketing program called Volvo saved my life. They took families that were in a life threatening accident and posted pictures of their car, most of them totaled but the family walked away. They were one of the safest vehicles out there, pioneered the 3 point seat belt and many other safety items before anyone had them.

Ha, good question. Actually, a very few of posting are from her.... about 5 % of the postings. We use the same account since we both drive the car. She just has a really good sense of humor and equally good with throwing jokes back in my face :D
If we find out you stopped posting here, can we assume she ran over you?:rolleyes: (Sorry honey, just another one of my little accidents!)

American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958. ... The 3-point seatbelt was developed to its modern form by Swedish inventor Nils Bohlin for Volvo—who introduced it in 1959 as standard equipment.

A History of Seat Belts - Defensive Driving
Seat belt - Wikipedia

Reactions: jbcarioca