Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to change outage reserve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually keep my powerwalls on the self powered mode with 5% reserve, this past week we had some rough storms roll through (NWS Sever storm warning and no storm watch activation) so I bumped my reserve up to 65%.

after the storm I put it back to 5% and that was 24 hours ago. The powerwall has still not discharged below 65%.

I tried to change toggle the setting to 10 or 15% about an hour ago but still no change.

Any ideas?

Have you tried resetting the circuit breaker to the Gateway (open for a minute; close again)? You also might force discharge by temporarily opening the circuit breaker that ties you to the grid. It should then discharge for about 5 minutes before the Gateway resets; then you can monitor it further.

I encountered this problem several days ago.

Recommend that you use the web interface to directly access the Tesla Backup Gateway. The Gateway web page provides a summary of the settings for the Gateway (backup/self powered, reserve %). NOTE the reserve % won't match what you set in the app, it will be off by several % due to a difference in how the Gateway web page and Tesla app measure battery charge level.

What I found (on the 1.43 firmware) was that the changes made in the Tesla app weren't always being sent to the Gateway - so I attempted to make the change several times, varying they reserve % by small amounts, until it finally accepted the level I wanted.

This is clearly a software problem in the Gateway, app or on Tesla's servers (since the app is likely communicating via a Tesla server and not directly to the Gateway).

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't provide any way to change the mode or reserve % using the Gateway web interface, which would make it possible to configure changes even if Tesla's server or the internet aren't available.

What version firmware are you currently running?

It’s on 1.43.3

Have you tried resetting the circuit breaker to the Gateway (open for a minute; close again)? You also might force discharge by temporarily opening the circuit breaker that ties you to the grid. It should then discharge for about 5 minutes before the Gateway resets; then you can monitor it further.

Im not sure which circuit breaker is for the gateway specifically. But I did kill the breaker for the grid yesterday and it’s still stuck.

I encountered this problem several days ago.

Recommend that you use the web interface to directly access the Tesla Backup Gateway. The Gateway web page provides a summary of the settings for the Gateway (backup/self powered, reserve %). NOTE the reserve % won't match what you set in the app, it will be off by several % due to a difference in how the Gateway web page and Tesla app measure battery charge level.

What I found (on the 1.43 firmware) was that the changes made in the Tesla app weren't always being sent to the Gateway - so I attempted to make the change several times, varying they reserve % by small amounts, until it finally accepted the level I wanted.

This is clearly a software problem in the Gateway, app or on Tesla's servers (since the app is likely communicating via a Tesla server and not directly to the Gateway).

Unfortunately, Tesla doesn't provide any way to change the mode or reserve % using the Gateway web interface, which would make it possible to configure changes even if Tesla's server or the internet aren't available.

when I log into the gateway app I see self consumption mode listed as the current setting but no reserve percentage.

Unfortunately, there isn't a breaker specific for the Gateway, since it gets power from the grid, solar panels and PowerWalls. The only way to force the Gateway to power down will likely require throwing the breaker in the Gateway panel (which takes the system off grid) and then throwing breakers for your solar panels/inverters and PowerWalls, which should deprive the Gateway of all Power. And when you see the status light through the reset hole go out, the Gateway should be down. And then using the breakers to restore power should force a cold boot for the Gateway.

What I found during testing last week is that the Gateway web page wasn't showing the changes made in the Tesla app - and it required several attempts to make those changes before they were reflected in the Gateway. This is clearly a software problem that Tesla will have to fix.

Without completely killing the power, it appears the best you can do is a restart by pressing the reset button. I found this didn't fix the configuration problems - the only solution was to keep making changes in the app until they showed up in the Gateway interface.

Will the installer crew show you how this is done? Would I use the IP address of the Gateway in my wi-fi-router or an address from Tesla?

The installers dont show you how to access it locally, but tesla has a document on how to do so that is public facing (so its not hidden information):

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

The information you need, you will have (serial number of your powerwalls, wifi access point broadcast by the powerwalls), at install. Serial number will be in the tesla app.

Reactions: charlesj
The installers dont show you how to access it locally, but tesla has a document on how to do so that is public facing (so its not hidden information):

Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

The information you need, you will have (serial number of your powerwalls, wifi access point broadcast by the powerwalls), at install. Serial number will be in the tesla app.
Great, thanks. Created a folder for the Tesla links. Should help when the time comes.
Waiting for Rev2 on the wiring for plancheck purposes.
Don't know why they are so hell bent on use 100A main breakers when I have 2-100s in there now..

Yes, that is a shame. Now I see.

Actually they do provide a method to change mode and reserve percentage, but only with the installer login. It also doesn't support the time-based control modes. However, if you're in self-consumption or backup-only mode and go through the setup wizard, one of the steps allows you to set mode and reserve percentage. If you try this, make sure you don't try any of the other settings unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

Actually they do provide a method to change mode and reserve percentage, but only with the installer login. It also doesn't support the time-based control modes. However, if you're in self-consumption or backup-only mode and go through the setup wizard, one of the steps allows you to set mode and reserve percentage. If you try this, make sure you don't try any of the other settings unless you're sure you know what you're doing.
Turning out to be simple as mud. :D

So yesterday I was able to get this resolved. I shut off my entire system and during that I noticed a breaker in my gateway panel as well that I shut off.

after I did this I called Tesla to tell them I was having this issue and they said that they were able to see my setting was changed and that resetting the system like I did might have triggered an update that fixed this as the system updated to the 1.44.2 firmware.

Fully manual control via the web interface would have been great.