Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Unable to Charge" Errors Appearing Mysteriously. Is Software to Blame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly enough this error goes away after about an hour of charging. Should I be worried about damaging something or is this more of an inconvenience rather than an issue?
My error goes away too and it steadies out at 24amps. I bought a used charger on eBay and will swap it out if it completely goes. I can still supercharge so it's not too big a deal if I go a few days without Level 2 charging.

Came across this thread searching for same issue as I have with my Tesla Model X 2018. First 3 years I had no problems or issues charging the car, but for the last 6-12 months I have several times experienced that the car will not start to charge or stops charging after anything from 1 minute to a few hours. I have two different chargers at home where I also charge my BMW i3 with no issues. I have also gotten the same error on supercharger and at a homecharger at my summer house and also with different cables - So the only thing that remains is the car. I have provided Tesla with several timings and error messages for when this problem arises and they have had it in for service once without "finding" anything. It seems the problem is getting increasingly worse and now I am only able to charge about 20-30% of the times I plug in the car.. The other times I either have to remove and reinsert the plug several times.. Sometimes that works.. Sometimes it starts to charge .. for then to stop again.. and sometimes I just have to give up and wait a few hours and try again.. It spits out several error messages like BMS_u011, CHG_u013, CHG_F076, CHGf018, CHG_f022, CHG_u005 etc.. The biggest issue is that it is sporadic, not permanent so the last time I had it in for service they plugged it in... and it charged... "no problem"... Even if I have provided them with all the timings and error codes...

I see many have this same issue, but I have yet to read somewhere that they was able to figure out what it was.. So anyone came to a conclusion on what is causing this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: dbldwn02
I see many have this same issue, but I have yet to read somewhere that they was able to figure out what it was.. So anyone came to a conclusion on what is causing this issue?
I too was seeing your issue. I took it in..."no problems, of course". I haven't had those errors in about a year. Log all the issues manually and in the car using the push and hold on the car icon method. Also, create service tickets, so when it finally goes out out you maybe you won't be stuck with the bill if it's after warranty. (50/50 shot there)

My new issue is charging at half rate because the onboard charger is going out. *Not intermittent, so I know it's not coming back and it's not software)
I can still super charge without issues.

Same problem here. November 2013 built. Started acting up September 2021 at a Supercharger and somehow was able to get it to start charging again by pushing on the locking mechanism of the charge port with my pocket knife. Then in March 2022, it would not start charging (red ring) and ICU messages either on HPWC or mobile charger (50 amps or 15 amps). Then it did charge for about 49 minutes in the 50 amps mobile charger giving me enough juice to just make it to the service center where it did charge on their HPWC(they also validated the my mobile charger was ok). While charging in that service centre’s Hpwc I launched a pending Update and once the update process completed the red ring returned. They then brought the car inside and a tech diagnosed that the trident cable needed to be changed. They did not have one on hand so he temporarily brushed the pins of the trident cable to remove the oxidation but he mentioned it was a temporary fix and had a cable ordered. That was March 25 2022. The appointment was scheduled for April 7 but the trident cable had not yet arrived. Now it won’t charge at all whatever I try and the charge level is too low to drive to the service center 2 hour drive away. I just scheduled for a mobile service but the next appointment is April 29th at which date my battery will be out of charge for sure due to vampire drain. I’ll attempt to change that cable myself (I’ll drive to the service center with our summer car once they receive the cable). If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.

Just a quick update. Tried charging this morning and it work! I'm wondering if humidity has some incidence on an old "trident" cable that needs to be changed as the temperature has been quite humid lately. I might try to use a hair dryer next time it happens unless the new trident cable comes in "too soon" to be able to try that out.