Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unblocking Car Doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up model YP. Set car to only unlock driver's door when approached with the cell phone key.

Question: how to easily open the other doors in the event I have a few additional riders to get in.

My solution has been to reach across to the center console and press the lock icon twice to have the other doors unlock. This sends awkward but works. It's a stretch to reach across but it works.

Does anyone else have a better solution?

Thanks.

Just picked up model YP. Set car to only unlock driver's door when approached with the cell phone key.

Question: how to easily open the other doors in the event I have a few additional riders to get in.

My solution has been to reach across to the center console and press the lock icon twice to have the other doors unlock. This sends awkward but works. It's a stretch to reach across but it works.

Thanks.
Change the settings. Currently it seems like it's setup to only open the drivers door.
This is simply solved by changing your settings.

Yes, you are right. The car is setup to only unlock the driver's door when you walk up to it with your phone key. We don't want to change that as the default.

I talking about the times when you do want to open all the doors for others to get in the car. The only way I have done it is to either reach into the car and tap the lock icon twice to unlock all doors for everyone -or- everyone waits till I get in the car and tap the lock icon twice to unlock all the doors. I'm wondering if there is an easier way?

Use the unlock setting, press the icon at the top of the screen, or use the app are the only way native to unlock the car. With the native and third party apps there are options for widgets, voice, and watch ways but this “flow” may or not work very elegantly IMHO.
The only other method I can thing of is the “sexy” buttons. They are stick on buttons that allow you to single press to perform a function. However, I dont know if the support lock is a function as it’s not explicitly listed ( they support just about every other one). It would be cool and perfect for you if they did. You could place that Hutton anywhere you want, door or console. Search for Tesla sexy buttons and email them asking if lock is an option. Pricy, but about the only thing I can think of that would get what sounds like you need.

Reactions: IvesSM

You could hit the "Park" button on the gear shifter instead - this will unlock all doors if the car is already in Park.

1661243117118.png

I guess you still need to reach into the car to access it (at least for Left Hand Drive countries) but it's a bit closer than the touchscreen.

Having the same issue on our Y, and through a bit of trial-and-error, we discovered another way to easily unlock all doors from outside, even when the setting is to only unlock the driver's door. And we just tested this several times:

Approach your locked car, and... instead of unlocking by opening the driver's door, open any door other than the driver's door. The car will disarm/unlock as expected (assuming your phone-as-key is with you), but... at this point, all doors are open-able.

So... if a bunch of you are headed back to the car, just remember to unlock by opening a different door (like the door behind the driver's door).

Tested with 2022.24.5, which was installed earlier today.

(please let me know if this trick works for anyone else)

Reactions: sfRonH
Having the same issue on our Y, and through a bit of trial-and-error, we discovered another way to easily unlock all doors from outside, even when the setting is to only unlock the driver's door. And we just tested this several times:

Approach your locked car, and... instead of unlocking by opening the driver's door, open any door other than the driver's door. The car will disarm/unlock as expected (assuming your phone-as-key is with you), but... at this point, all doors are open-able.

So... if a bunch of you are headed back to the car, just remember to unlock by opening a different door (like the door behind the driver's door).

Tested with 2022.24.5, which was installed earlier today.

(please let me know if this trick works for anyone else)
Doesn’t that imply that the drivers-door-only setting actually does unlock all the doors when you approach with phone key? I feel like that’s what it’s supposed to prevent... Or maybe it means it only keeps the other doors locked if drivers door is open first.

Last edited:
Doesn’t that imply that the drivers-door-only setting actually does unlock all the doors when you approach with phone key? I feel like that’s what it’s supposed to prevent... Or maybe it means it only keeps the other doors locked if drivers door is open first.
So... assuming you have the driver-door-only setting enabled: if you unlock with your phone, or via opening driver's door, it just unlocks the driver's door. Exactly as expected. This workaround lets you effectively unlock all doors, when needed, by opening an alternate door first (a very handy workaround). Yeah, it seems like a bit of a hack, but I don't think there's another way, aside from the techniques described above in the thread (pushing lock + unlock when in the car, pushing the Park button when already in park...).

Thanks.
I am glad you found at SOME kind of work around... this has been driving me nuts.
But
I am new to tesla and to the Y... I do not see how to unlock individual doors on my phone app. Would you mind giving a newbie a few basic steps to what you mean? I sure would appreciate it (as would my sanity)

Well, a bit has changed since my original post on opening the doors when your cell phone only unlocks the driver's door.

Now with a software update of a month or so ago, once you open the driver's door just reach down to the driver's door unlock button and hold it down until you get two dings. Now all the doors are unlocked for your passengers.

Hope this helps.

I have issue with locking. Best case: before I get out of my seat, I open my door slightly, then push the padlock icon. When I exit the car and close my door (must be after my passenger closes his door), the car locks instantly.

But, if I forget to do this, and I'm already standing up outside the car, there's no quick and easy way to lock the doors instantly except reaching over uncomfortably and touching that tiny icon. I live in a city and do not like waiting for the auto-lock when I walk away. Not safe. Please, why can't a button on the car door control the locks like with every other car I've ever driven??

Reactions: E90alex
I have issue with locking. Best case: before I get out of my seat, I open my door slightly, then push the padlock icon. When I exit the car and close my door (must be after my passenger closes his door), the car locks instantly.

But, if I forget to do this, and I'm already standing up outside the car, there's no quick and easy way to lock the doors instantly except reaching over uncomfortably and touching that tiny icon. I live in a city and do not like waiting for the auto-lock when I walk away. Not safe. Please, why can't a button on the car door control the locks like with every other car I've ever driven??
They want you to just use phone key with walk away door lock. But I personally also like to verify the car is locked before walking away.

I do have the key fob so I can reach in my pocket and lock it that way if I forget to tap lock on the screen before getting out.

Otherwise you are correct and there’s no good way to lock it otherwise.

Nice. I'll try that

but ...

doesn't that sort of deactivate the entire driver's door only thing? I mean the driver's door only feature is so that you can get in your car by the driver's door and the masked rapist waiting patiently by the passenger door can't. But if you being 'close' to the car is enough to allow anyone else to open any door of their choosing, then it's a system that doesn't fulfil its promise