Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorked MX75D needs restart to complete update, each and every time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since getting my MX75D uncorked last summer, each and every single update has needed at least one (usually more) reboots for the update to take. I did talk to Tesla support about it, and they told me it had to do with the low strength of the wifi to the car. That was true last summer, but not anymore, and still the same problem..

Updates usually go like this. I get the notification. I do the update. The app says the update is ongoing. That’s true at midnight. 12 hours later I go to the car, and I get the message that I need to see service to do the software update. I restart the computer. It either a) restarts, and 10 minutes later tells me the update is complete or b) does nothing. I try the update again, and it goes through on the second or third try.

Since getting my MX75D uncorked last summer, each and every single update has needed at least one (usually more) reboots for the update to take. I did talk to Tesla support about it, and they told me it had to do with the low strength of the wifi to the car. That was true last summer, but not anymore, and still the same problem..

Updates usually go like this. I get the notification. I do the update. The app says the update is ongoing. That’s true at midnight. 12 hours later I go to the car, and I get the message that I need to see service to do the software update. I restart the computer. It either a) restarts, and 10 minutes later tells me the update is complete or b) does nothing. I try the update again, and it goes through on the second or third try.
Well, the upside is that your car isn't a quitter!

• Funny
Reactions: Whisky
Well, the upside is that your car isn't a quitter!

Well there's that, it will get updated eventually! But it also does other weird things, like I get a black screen on the centre counsel, and it'll take a good five minutes for the car to be road ready mostly because the blinkers actually stop working (but the break lights work). Anyway, otherwise, works great!

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Spoke to service when it had a slow to wake up notice a couple times.
Recommended I delete a ton of previous navigation and trip information that was being stored on the computer.
Need to swipe each one to the side, then press delete.
Since then everything has worked well.
All those navigation details has to take up some memory.

• Informative

Two things I've done that seem to help with updates: 1. A WiFi repeater installed in the garage; 2. On long drives I use my phone as a hotspot and connect the car to it.

• Informative