Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are any of the tricks to force a software update real?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish one of the tricks worked. I have a 2023 MYP delivered in August, and I'm still on the holiday update 2023.44.30.8 with FSD 11. I wonder what all those software branches are for? There have been about 2 dozen updates since my revision. I'm paying the FSD subscription, and I want FSD 12.

My most recently experience was with the FSD beta 12.3 update, I had my car at a ChargePoint when one of the waves of updates went out and I was notified almost instantaneously via the Tesla app. I wonder if the fact that the car was actively charging and therefore not sleeping made the notification arrive faster.

My most recently experience was with the FSD beta 12.3 update, I had my car at a ChargePoint when one of the waves of updates went out and I was notified almost instantaneously via the Tesla app. I wonder if the fact that the car was actively charging and therefore not sleeping made the notification arrive faster.
Nope, you are either in the queue or not in the queue. The mothership doesn't care what your car is doing when it decides to send an update.

Nope, you are either in the queue or not in the queue. The mothership doesn't care what your car is doing when it decides to send an update.
I agree with you, but I was thinking that a car which is awake may see the update and push the notification faster than a car which is asleep (even if the mothership already assigned the update to your car). Thoughts?

I agree with you, but I was thinking that a car which is awake may see the update and push the notification faster than a car which is asleep (even if the mothership already assigned the update to your car). Thoughts?
Tesla sends a "message" over cell to your car to inform it there is a pending update. Your car will then wake up and if connected to WiFi will start downloading. If not connected to WiFi it will just log a Notification and give you the Yellow download arrow to connect to WiFi.

Tesla sends a "message" over cell to your car to inform it there is a pending update. Your car will then wake up and if connected to WiFi will start downloading. If not connected to WiFi it will just log a Notification and give you the Yellow download arrow to connect to WiFi.
So the update signal triggers the car to wake if sleeping? Can anybody confirm this? I haven't seen a case of my car waking aside from me waking it via the app or opening the door.

I had assumed that the message that your car is ready to be updated is sent to a server and then when the car wakes and phones home it retrieves the message which triggers a push notification to the app. That would mean that you wouldn't know if you had an update until you wake the car via the app or enter teh car. The last few updates came to me while my car was awake and charging so I assumed this but have not been able to confirm it.

So the update signal triggers the car to wake if sleeping? Can anybody confirm this? I haven't seen a case of my car waking aside from me waking it via the app or opening the door.....
Many if not most people on WiFi receive updates overnight and waiting on them to install in the morning. Meaning the car HAD to wake up.

I don't have WiFi but almost all my updates I have receive a notification in the morning that I need to connect to WiFi to download the update. Meaning the car woke up and received this overnight.

Many if not most people on WiFi receive updates overnight and waiting on them to install in the morning. Meaning the car HAD to wake up.

I don't have WiFi but almost all my updates I have receive a notification in the morning that I need to connect to WiFi to download the update. Meaning the car woke up and received this overnight.
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that myself but good to know. I will keep an eye on it when I get my next update.

Here was my experience with the latest update.

My car was in my garage on wifi, not charging, fully in deep sleep state with 45% battery. A wave of 2024.3.6 had gone out earlier in the day but I hadn't woken my car up via the app all day. No push notifications. In the late afternoon I went into my car to get something out and seconds after opening the door I saw the software update notification first through a TeslaFi email, then a minute later via the Tesla App's push notification.

So it kind of backs up my theory that the car isn't going to wake up when an update is pushed out, maybe it does wake periodically (infrequently?) to check for updates but for me that hadn't happened all day, but manually waking it triggered the update notification.

Makes me think what I said earlier is correct - if your car is charging and actively communicating with the server you'll get an update notification sooner than if your car is in deep sleep. So either check your app often or leave it charging when you expect an update to be coming...

It's not instant. Two things have to happen, your car has to be awake and polling the mothership and your car has been chosen. The car is not wakened up (awoken?) if your car is chosen.

I just checked, no update for my car.
View attachment 1000683View attachment 1000684
It always says your car is up to date then boom next day/week then boom you are gifted with the amber download arrow. This free trial 30 days of fsd and summon is cool though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Another day another update!

Today was a bit unusual, I got no push notification, my app showed no update and I checked 2 or 3 times throughout the day. Then at 2 pm I went out to do an errand and happened to remember that my "once per day" check via the car was available so I did it and sure enough there was an update. This did don't correspond to a new wave of updates going out (the wave started earlier in the day).

So what this seems to mean is sometimes when an update is ready for your car you won't get a push notification in-app, at least not right away. Even if you wake the car via the app. I guess there are situations where you get it faster by checking in-car than by checking purely in-app or waiting for a push notification.

Today was a bit unusual, I got no push notification, my app showed no update and I checked 2 or 3 times throughout the day. Then at 2 pm I went out to do an errand and happened to remember that my "once per day" check via the car was available so I did it and sure enough there was an update. This did don't correspond to a new wave of updates going out (the wave started earlier in the day).

So what this seems to mean is sometimes when an update is ready for your car you won't get a push notification in-app, at least not right away. Even if you wake the car via the app. I guess there are situations where you get it faster by checking in-car than by checking purely in-app or waiting for a push notification.
I waited for months to get an update from 2023.44.30.5, and now I've had three in the past week. The last one was interesting as I happened Sunday night after I had just got a previous update on Saturday morning. I went to the car Sunday to do the software check because so many people were talking about it coming out in wide distribution. And sure enough, there was a new update!

And after the update installed, I got an email from Tesla stating that I was getting a free month of FSD, until May 7. Now I'm already subscribed for FSD, and billing happens on the 7th of the month. I looked at my billing history, and sure enough, there is nothing for April. So it looks like my free month will go from April 7 to May 6. I'm now on 12.3.3, having had 12.3, and then 12.3.2.1.

• Love
Reactions: zoomer0056

Nope it comes when it comes….all those tips, tricks, short cuts do not work, service center has no magic wand either.