Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underdamped suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S (90D) with coil suspension (not air suspension). (I'm the original owner).

I've noticed that the suspension feels underdamped. For example, if I abruptly apply brakes at around 5mph to quickly stop the car, it oscillates for a bit after the vehicle stops (dive, squat, dive, squat). After going over a speed bump, I notice the oscillation as well. It probably oscillates 2-4 times before settling down. I think it has done this more or less since I bought it in 2016.

All the previous cars I've owned seemed to be "crtically damped" that is, they return to a neutral position without oscillating or with very minimal oscillation (2009 Honda Accord, 2001 Honda Prelude, and our current 2018 Tesla Model 3).

I know the coil suspension Model S is somewhat uncommon. Is this just a weakness in Tesla's design or do I have something defective about my suspension? Any feedback from others who have driven a Model S with coil suspension is appreciated. I'm wondering if I should have my suspension looked at by a service center. For a $90k car, it seems weird to have "bouncy" suspension.

Oscillation would be vertical, not fore / aft, if it were your coils. I believe this has to do with the distance between the mostly tall, more vertical strut towers and the battery. Porsche, for instance, made a curious choice to angle, and shorten, its struts.

I find it odd is that you would have a noticeable pitch oscillation. Normally an underdamped suspension would be more noticeable in heave as you travel over surface undulations at higher speeds. Our eGolf is lightly damped and this is noticeable over frost heaves, dips in intersections, etc. I've considered replacing the shocks with adjustable units, or OE shocks from a GTI or Golf R. Our new (Raven) Model S has air springs and the dynamic shocks, and is nicely damped in Standard and quite firm in Sport.

You don't say how many miles are on your car or if it's always exhibited this behavior. Is it possible to compare your car with a newer one under the same conditions? Standard struts or shocks are normally considered a wear item and they may need replacement. I would hope Billstein or Koni would offer replacement options, but I haven't looked into this. It may also be possible for the OE shocks to be rebuilt.

You don't say how many miles are on your car or if it's always exhibited this behavior. Is it possible to compare your car with a newer one under the same conditions?

It has about 36,000 miles, and I think it has had this behavior since I bought it new. It's just been on my mind more recently after reading about the Raven refresh.

I'll ask the mobile tech about it next Friday when he comes to fix oil/fluid leaking from my rain sensor.