Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Suspension Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some assistance with Model y suspension.

I currently own a 2023 LR AWD.
I have switched to 18 inch wheels with 235 60 tires, this has made an incredible difference in comfort but still looking for more comfort and a little lower. These massive tires have raised my vehicle about .5 inch.

I had installed Dinan springs with the OEM 19 inch wheels and it looked great but I could not tolerate the bouncy ride.

I am currently leaning towards Tein shocks, Tein coils, or Koni shocks. Leaning most toward coil but not wanting to spend MPP money.
My main concern with the coils is that if I do lower the vehicle with the coils will I still have full comfort from the coils?
Also will the Tein coils be any more comfortable than oem "comfort" suspension which my vehicle came with.
Also with the Tein coils would I need to use the rear camber arms, front control arms, and/or toe arms?

I am not planning on slamming the car nor am I planning on doing any extreme track days. My main objective is comfort, while not eating up my tires.

Looking for some assistance with Model y suspension.

I currently own a 2023 LR AWD.
I have switched to 18 inch wheels with 235 60 tires, this has made an incredible difference in comfort but still looking for more comfort and a little lower. These massive tires have raised my vehicle about .5 inch.

I had installed Dinan springs with the OEM 19 inch wheels and it looked great but I could not tolerate the bouncy ride.

I am currently leaning towards Tein shocks, Tein coils, or Koni shocks. Leaning most toward coil but not wanting to spend MPP money.
My main concern with the coils is that if I do lower the vehicle with the coils will I still have full comfort from the coils?
Also will the Tein coils be any more comfortable than oem "comfort" suspension which my vehicle came with.
Also with the Tein coils would I need to use the rear camber arms, front control arms, and/or toe arms?

I am not planning on slamming the car nor am I planning on doing any extreme track days. My main objective is comfort, while not eating up my tires.
Interesting. What tires and wheels did you buy?

Attachments

• CB91EA9E-3D38-41BE-8544-D4B2C742D03E.jpeg
    CB91EA9E-3D38-41BE-8544-D4B2C742D03E.jpeg
    726.7 KB · Views: 322
Reactions: David99 and MattM24
Have you tried adjusting tire pressures? What are you running? Are these 107 rated?
Cold pressure is set to 40.
I have not messed with tire pressure with these since there is such a massive sidewall. Don’t think it would make any significant difference. But I’ll play around with it.

Oem I had set to 36 which made a big difference in comfort.

The Michelins are 107 rated.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
So after talking to Zevcentric extensively about my needs they’ve suggested tein shocks with eibach springs, and rear camber arms to save tire wear.

I will go with their advice and report back. They listened to my needs and answered all my questions and then some. Top notch customer service! They emailed back and forth with me on a Saturday, on Labor Day weekend!!

Reactions: MattM24
So after talking to Zevcentric extensively about my needs they’ve suggested tein shocks with eibach springs, and rear camber arms to save tire wear.

I will go with their advice and report back. They listened to my needs and answered all my questions and then some. Top notch customer service! They emailed back and forth with me on a Saturday, on Labor Day weekend!!
Very cool. Will be interesting to see how you like the combination. I’m thinking of going with Michelin CC2 tires in the same size for my MY20 LR. The ride over broken asphalt roads in the city is driving me nuts with the factory 19” Procontact tires.

Very cool. Will be interesting to see how you like the combination. I’m thinking of going with Michelin CC2 tires in the same size for my MY20 LR. The ride over broken asphalt roads in the city is driving me nuts with the factory 19” Procontact tires.
The reason I didn’t go with the CC2 is because some users reported more road noise. I have worked hard on getting rid of road noise and rattles in the car, CC2 would be working against me.
I had my oem 19s set to 36 psi cold. I did notice a difference. The 18s with bubble tires is like riding on a cloud! This combo is significantly lighter as well. I have not weighed them but I can tell regen braking is reduced due to the reduced weight.
You have a 2020, the test zevcentric did showed the 23MYP shocks are softer than 20MYLR! That’s insane! And Tein are even softer so! Check this video out.

Reactions: redcardinal
The reason I didn’t go with the CC2 is because some users reported more road noise. I have worked hard on getting rid of road noise and rattles in the car, CC2 would be working against me.
I had my oem 19s set to 36 psi cold. I did notice a difference. The 18s with bubble tires is like riding on a cloud! This combo is significantly lighter as well. I have not weighed them but I can tell regen braking is reduced due to the reduced weight.
You have a 2020, the test zevcentric did showed the 23MYP shocks are softer than 20MYLR! That’s insane! And Tein are even softer so! Check this video out.

I have been far down that rabbit hole. Haha.

I have all kinds of sound deadening (CLD, MLV, CCF) and additional seals, 3/8” tubing in the hatch and PETG hatch stops.

My winter tires are 235/55R18 Nokian Hakka R3 SUVs and they are annoyingly loud. They do ride a little better than the 19” set.

Reduced regen could be due to the less grip with the different tire compound.

My goal is to smooth out the ruts and soften the big bumps.

Am I the only one here that questions the crude compression/rebound comparison testing of the struts/shocks in the video in post #9?

Cold struts? FULL compression speed, FULL rebound speed?

I'm curious how this single compression/rebound test has any relevance to a strut/shock that is warmed up, and the "real world" range of the strut/shock movement being in the middle of the range, not at full range compression/rebound.

Doesn't the temperature of the strut/shock fluid, and the speed of the valving design, play a much more critical role in understanding the efficacy of a strut/shock?

Am I the only one here that questions the crude compression/rebound comparison testing of the struts/shocks in the video in post #9?

Cold struts? FULL compression speed, FULL rebound speed?

I'm curious how this single compression/rebound test has any relevance to a strut/shock that is warmed up, and the "real world" range of the strut/shock movement being in the middle of the range, not at full range compression/rebound.

Doesn't the temperature of the strut/shock fluid, and the speed of the valving design, play a much more critical role in understanding the efficacy of a strut/shock?
I am no suspension expert by any means.
But of course I do understand this test is far from scientific.
All the variables you mentioned would make a tremendous difference but for a novice like me it helps visualize and explain things in 5th grader terms.
Seems in a few other videos the “butt test” gives you the real world outcome of the oem shocks vs Tein.

Splsales: I understand, to a degree.

Discussions in this forum, when we're talking $$$ upgrades for $50k+ automobiles, aspire to be on terms higher than "5th grader terms." ;) 🤣

I strongly believe the "testing" of the video is irrelevant.

Discussions in this forum, when we're talking $$$ upgrades for $50k+ automobiles, aspire to be on terms higher than "5th grader terms." ;) 🤣

Ya you’re right.
Maybe I do need to learn all the sciences in what goes into makes a shocks stiffer or softer.
But have to start somewhere?
I believe you, the testing may be irrelevant.
But between this video and his actual road test videos I’m sold.
Maybe I’m just a sucker 🤣
Time will tell…

Ya you’re right.
Maybe I do need to learn all the sciences in what goes into makes a shocks stiffer or softer.
But have to start somewhere?
I believe you, the testing may be irrelevant.
But between this video and his actual road test videos I’m sold.
Maybe I’m just a sucker 🤣
Time will tell…
It’s more about the range of performance that it provides rather than a singular movement.

It also gets complicated by different wheel and tire combinations.

The only way you’ll get anywhere is by trying it yourself. The fact that the EnduraPro plus shocks have some adjustments means you’ll be able to try different setups and see what works for you.

Last edited:

I saw you had MPP comfort coils but were not happy with the comfort aspect.
What did you end up with?
I feel to a certain extent I am chasing something that will never be accomplished but at least it will make the ride more enjoyable.
I drive about 150 miles per day and mostly highway so I’d prefer something better than the oem suspension for sure.

I saw you had MPP comfort coils but were not happy with the comfort aspect.
What did you end up with?
I feel to a certain extent I am chasing something that will never be accomplished but at least it will make the ride more enjoyable.
I drive about 150 miles per day and mostly highway so I’d prefer something better than the oem suspension for sure.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Reactions: John in LB
Yes, I have 35k miles on MPP ComfortCoils. Are there coilovers available that have done a better job creating comfort since my MPPs were installed 2 years ago? I hope so! Two years is a long time for others to develop struts/shocks/springs.

I don't dislike the MPPs, for my own purposes. My disappointment occurs when my wife, who drives a 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited, rides in the car.

(Thread drift: 2019 Avalon Hybrid: I just replaced its Michelin PilotSport AS 4s, with 37k miles on them, with Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3s. They are considerably softer and less harsh than the 5/32" Michelin tread. I might try them on my 2021 MYLR when its PilotSport tires are worn out.)