Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Undersized onboard L2 charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with running those high currents is your household supply may not be able to handle it. I have a relatively high 200 amp service to my house. 48 amps is nearly 25%, then you add on AC load, Dryer, everything else running in the house and I might be overloading the service which may even be the transformer outside the house if the neighbors are also using a lot of power.

The problem with running those high currents is your household supply may not be able to handle it. I have a relatively high 200 amp service to my house. 48 amps is nearly 25%, then you add on AC load, Dryer, everything else running in the house and I might be overloading the service which may even be the transformer outside the house if the neighbors are also using a lot of power.

People have installed the full 100A (80A continuous) Gen 2 HPWC with no issues; as long as the load calculations checks out there's no issue with having such a high powered charger. I wouldn't worry about overloading the transformer from the power company as I'm sure they're aware of the service size for each house and have an appropriate transformer for the houses; of course as more EVs come into market things may have to change.

As for your scenario worse case (2 AC, 60 A if you have 2x large AC that's not the most efficient, electric dryer, 24A, electric stove 32A) + 48A EV = 164 amp, and that's only if everything is running full tilt at the same time. Lights and appliances other than the ones mentioned above shouldn't add too much more to the above In reality you would put everything through a load calculation to see if you need a service upgrade.

As for the cybertruck itself, I do expect to see some sort of return of a higher power HPWC if I have to guess, especially if the trimotor is going to be more than 200kWh. (There's also the new roadster to think about as well).

I have 200 AMP service. When I installed my solar I had to pay to upgrade the transformer at the street (not shared) from 10KW to 25KW as I was installing 24KW of Solar. My power company didn't provide an option of going with a larger transformer at the time. I would have to justify a larger transformer and pay for it if I was to expand my solar.

I currently have two chargers, 5 heat pumps, a double electric oven, a well etc. I would worry about adding a 19KW car charger to the mix.

I have 200 AMP service. When I installed my solar I had to pay to upgrade the transformer at the street (not shared) from 10KW to 25KW as I was installing 24KW of Solar. My power company didn't provide an option of going with a larger transformer at the time. I would have to justify a lager transformer and pay for it if I was to expand my solar.

I currently have two chargers, 5 heat pumps, a double electric oven, a well etc. I would worry about adding a 19KW car charger to the mix.

If you are using your heavy loads during daylight (such as charging) there is no chance of over stressing your transformer. Also, it is very unlikely you would be using both ovens and the dryer and charging between 11pm and 6am.

I would definitely install a 19kw charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmacelf
If you are using your heavy loads during daylight (such as charging) there is no chance of over stressing your transformer. Also, it is very unlikely you would be using both ovens and the dryer and charging between 11pm and 6am.

I would definitely install a 19kw charger.

Without the oven or the dryer running, we have used 18.77kw...
I will have to see how things look this winter when we are using the heat pumps to heat the house now that we have the model Y.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 5.16.55 PM.png

Without the oven or the dryer running, we have used 18.77kw...
I will have to see how things look this winter when we are using the heat pumps to heat the house now that we have the model Y.

View attachment 576330

200a@ 240 volts is 48 kw. Each oven and dryer are probably 3kw. So 9 plus 19 is 28, leaving 20 to spare. Highly unlikely you would be using all of that continuously.

You don’t have to always charge at full speed, either.

200a@ 240 volts is 48 kw. Each oven and dryer are probably 3kw. So 9 plus 19 is 28, leaving 20 to spare. Highly unlikely you would be using all of that continuously.

You don’t have to always charge at full speed, either.

I do agree with that, I do agree that I have 200 amp service. Pre-solar that service was fed from a 10kw transformer. I had to pay to upgrade it to a 25kw transformer. I question how the 25kw transformer will behave with 40kw of load. (After the truck arrives I might just talk with the electric company and justify, then pay for another transformer upgrade. As the transformer is cheaper than PPF that I won't need for it. And just like PPF it provides peace of mind).