Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Wall Connector and using Power Share in the future - communication wire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a universal wall connector since it is sold as the only one at the moment that will support powershare. I watched a video where someone had it installed and they said there was a communication wire that ran to the wall connector to the gateway, I think. Does anyone know what wire this is since I am about to run my power wire to the wall connector and start using it but i'd like to run the communication wire with it if it is necessary to use the powershare function in the future. It will save a lot of time and money to run it now. I did a google search and an AI bot says it 22ga twisted pair shielded wire, but I want to verify this from someone who knows. I could not find an actually link anywhere to verify this info and sometimes the AI is incorrect. The directions I see with the unit only shows L1 L2 and Ground, no mention of a com wire that I can see.

Here is what I am thinking about ordering if this is true. I'm thinking about getting 4 conductor since it's only a few dollars more for a little insurance. https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Cable...c9a-8eff-15c805fd31c2&pd_rd_i=B071DFJR8P&th=1

Please help, plan to run this Saturday and need to order the right communication wire to run with it.
Thanks

Curious ... I only see a WiFi connection.

jfueUT8.jpeg

but i'd like to run the communication wire with it if it is necessary to use the powershare function in the future.
Thx. I did see it reference here too.

The free UWC is slightly different than the one you ordered. It allows for charging TESLA NACS as well as J1773 that other cars have. Might be useful if friends or family are visiting. It also is wired with a communications wire that allows the gateway to tell the truck to turn on when the gateway senses a power outage....then the truck can power your house.

Past/old -- I found this text on this *cached* page where it *mentions* the 'communication wire':
CHVRR0E.jpeg

Current/Now from where it does NOT *mention* the 'communication wire':
it shows:
hd7jDK7.jpeg

Thanks. It looks like what I picked out will work then. I actually went ahead and ordered it earlier today since it's coming down to crunch time so I was going to just risk $30 in hopes that it was right. And it's a 60ft underground run And I'm sure when they install the gateway and need to run a communications wire it would be way more for the wire and the run for the $30 after the fact.

Reactions: scottf200
Thanks. It looks like what I picked out will work then. I actually went ahead and ordered it earlier today since it's coming down to crunch time so I was going to just risk $30 in hopes that it was right. And it's a 60ft underground run And I'm sure when they install the gateway and need to run a communications wire it would be way more for the wire and the run for the $30 after the fact.
I don't know what to make of them removing it from the manual tho. Did they switch to WiFi? Nor why the connections are not in the manual. I would guess that a hardwire would be much safer, faster, and more reliable tho.

Yeah as long as it still supports it I'll run it that way. Maybe it is Wi-Fi now, would make more sense. I'm gonna run it just in case. If I don't need it I just wasted $34. If I do need it I'm sure the place that installs the pw3 and gateway would charge at least $200 for the com wire and running it 60ft to the U.W.C. That was a new video on YouTube where he talked about needing it tho. Alsothanks Scott for hunting that information down for me. This thread should be useful as this information was hard to find.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scottf200