Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Side Skirt Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had an issue with the mounting points on the Unplugged Performance Side Skirts Failing?

I purchased the Unplugged Performance Refreshed Front Fascia and their Side Skirts about a year ago.

The refreshed front fascia turned out very nice. I installed and painted the unit myself since I have a pretty extensive background in the automotive industry and the experience to do the job generally better than any shops I have seen out there. I absolutely love the way my 2014 looks with the new front.

I also installed the Unplugged Performance Side Skirts which I also like the appearance but have had an issue with the Passenger Side. The molded clip inserts with the 3 oval cut outs have one by one failed which keeps the skirt from staying attached. Specifically the back passenger side.

I contacted Unplugged on a couple occasions. The first time Ben responded with they have sold hundreds of these and never encountered the issue. He said they appreciated my feedback but really didn't offer any assistance when I first reported the issue which was a few months after the initial install. At that time there was only one of the mounting locations that had actually failed but it caused the rear of the skirt to pop out every few days so I would simply push it back in and it would snap back in.

Gradually each mounting point failed one by one to the point that I had to put a screw in the back into the fender liner to keep the unit somewhat secured but not held tight to the quarter panel as it should.

I was communicating with Ben yesterday regarding the refreshed rear bumper order I had and forwarded some pictures of the skirt I have with the issue. He forwarded the photos to their team for review and was kind enough to offer a discount for a replacement skirt but it's still an expensive solution by the time you add paint for a problem that really shouldn't exist in the first place and I'm still a little concerned with the durability in the future.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and maybe come up with a fix?

If there's a viable solution without having to start from scratch it would be my preference over purchasing another, painting and reinstalling it and hoping I don't have the issue again in the future.
Unplugged Skirt 1.jpg
Unplugged Skirt 3.jpg
Unplugged Skirt 2.jpg

Has anyone else had an issue with the mounting points on the Unplugged Performance Side Skirts Failing?

I purchased the Unplugged Performance Refreshed Front Fascia and their Side Skirts about a year ago.

The refreshed front fascia turned out very nice. I installed and painted the unit myself since I have a pretty extensive background in the automotive industry and the experience to do the job generally better than any shops I have seen out there. I absolutely love the way my 2014 looks with the new front.

I also installed the Unplugged Performance Side Skirts which I also like the appearance but have had an issue with the Passenger Side. The molded clip inserts with the 3 oval cut outs have one by one failed which keeps the skirt from staying attached. Specifically the back passenger side.

I contacted Unplugged on a couple occasions. The first time Ben responded with they have sold hundreds of these and never encountered the issue. He said they appreciated my feedback but really didn't offer any assistance when I first reported the issue which was a few months after the initial install. At that time there was only one of the mounting locations that had actually failed but it caused the rear of the skirt to pop out every few days so I would simply push it back in and it would snap back in.

Gradually each mounting point failed one by one to the point that I had to put a screw in the back into the fender liner to keep the unit somewhat secured but not held tight to the quarter panel as it should.

I was communicating with Ben yesterday regarding the refreshed rear bumper order I had and forwarded some pictures of the skirt I have with the issue. He forwarded the photos to their team for review and was kind enough to offer a discount for a replacement skirt but it's still an expensive solution by the time you add paint for a problem that really shouldn't exist in the first place and I'm still a little concerned with the durability in the future.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and maybe come up with a fix?

If there's a viable solution without having to start from scratch it would be my preference over purchasing another, painting and reinstalling it and hoping I don't have the issue again in the future.
View attachment 462318 View attachment 462321 View attachment 462322
No I have them and have no issues. However I would always use some other type of adhesive, even 3m tape to help secure it. Using 3m tape is as good as any adhesive as long as done correctly. I would apply it to any area that touches that cannot be seen than use masking tape to hold it into place for a few days. The longer it’s on the stronger it will hold overtime
70FBBB0A-D8D4-4D24-810C-FC7AACD5FA19.jpeg