Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Performance Suspension Systems Comparison for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering getting one of the suspension systems from UP for my 2022 M3 Dual Motor AWD. My top priority is to soften the ride as much as possible. Second would be to raise the height above the stock height. It is not clear when comparing the UP Luxury, Luxury Pro, and Dirt and Snow Pro what the trade-offs are. It looks like getting the Luxury requires the Dual-Rate Lowering Springs which will lower the height of the car. The Dirt and Snow will allow me to raise the height, but it is not clear how much this will soften the ride compared to the Luxury Pro. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am considering getting one of the suspension systems from UP for my 2022 M3 Dual Motor AWD. My top priority is to soften the ride as much as possible. Second would be to raise the height above the stock height. It is not clear when comparing the UP Luxury, Luxury Pro, and Dirt and Snow Pro what the trade-offs are. It looks like getting the Luxury requires the Dual-Rate Lowering Springs which will lower the height of the car. The Dirt and Snow will allow me to raise the height, but it is not clear how much this will soften the ride compared to the Luxury Pro. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Look carefully at the competing Mountain Pass product namely the Comfort adjustable suspension. We put that on our model 3 for my wife and it's really really good.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
N
Go with UP. Save yourself the drama. Or go directly with KW variant 1 for comfort, variant 3 for track coilovers and pick a set of control arms that fit your needs.

Many users will speak as to the canada electronic devices, but if fun involved in that too.

no clue what you’re on about, but I do know that I bought parts from UP back in 2020. Their swaybar design was flawed (it was too big). They updated the design on the down low and started selling the revised version without any disclosures. People on this forum noticed, and tried to get them to address the problem—send replacements, etc.

First support gas lighted me saying there was no problem with the size, then when I linked to the forum post they ghosted. Haven’t been able to contact their support since.

Upvote 0
I personally haven’t had any issues with the Canadian company or with Redwood (has anyone? They seem to have the lowest drama quotient of all, but I guess you get what you pay for).

There are UP parts on my car, too, though the instructions for those are a bit more sparse. Haven’t had any real interactions with the company itself. The aftermarket space is notoriously persnickety. (I’d say “patent your designs!” to MPP, but I guess the margins aren’t enough to justify it? UP filed and got patents on some of theirs, and as an inventor on a Canadian patent, they’re not so so hard to obtain… just a question of cost vs benefit). The sticking point here is that KW seems to spec their struts with a bit of lowering in mind.

Anyways, if it were me wanting to keep the car cushy, and at or slightly above stock height, I’d just go with Redwood. Which I did, although for my purposes I chose the performance sport package with Ohlins dampers, (which was nice when I changed my mind and lowered it). These days I would probably choose their newer FPX setup, perhaps keeping stock springs if I knew that I’d never want to lower it: Model 3/Y FPX Long-Stroke

The FPX Grand Touring package is almost certainly more appropriate for OP’s use case, for various reasons outlined here:

(Obviously these are just my opinions, and worth what you paid for them. Your mileage may vary.)

Upvote 0
A note regarding the Redwood FPX “damper only” kit: I’d wait for a sale, if possible, and I would absolutely purchase the optional remote adjusters. If you’re looking for comfort, it’s likely that you will want to adjust the damping, and the remote adjusters make it much, much easier. Having had them, I would miss them, a lot, if I switched to a setup without them.

TL;DR: wait for a Redwood sale and buy an FPX GT kit with remote adjusters. (Or use the coupon code from everyamp.) For the “stock height or higher, cushy ride” use case, that is the most sensible setup. (Or alternatively, Koni Reds, with less adjustability)

Upvote 0