Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Suspension Travel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All!

MYP delivery scheduled for March 1, and getting excited ... and perhaps a bit anxious šŸ˜. Trading in my '20 M3SR+, I would really like to NOT get the "terrible/horrendous ride quality" some folks talk about. My test ride was a lot better than my M3, sooo ...

My question is about suspension travel. The MYP is touted to have a lowered suspension of approximately 1cm/half inch. Is that just a shorter spring with that much less travel, or a true lowered suspension? I'm asking because I want as much comfort as possible, and raising the ride height is probably easier than getting a new aftermarket suspension. It would be nice if they sold the MYLR here, but alas, the only Long Range is the Performance. Btw, I live in Japan, so my new car will be made at Gigafactory Shanghai. Apparently, my MYP might be somewhat different than US models (better šŸ¤ž?).

Appreciate any knowledgeable answers, but snarky comments also welcome, lol.

Cheers!

I can't speak for the MYP made at Shanghai. I will say the one here in the US sits ,6 inches lower than the LR model. I have owned both. I had a 21 LR and now a 22 P. To me the P model transmits mich more road feel to the driver. I feel every little imperfection in the road. The ride doesn't seem much harsher than the LR when I put 19s on it. Most of the harshness comes from the low profile 21s that come on it. Because more road feel is transmitted in it's not as nice of a drive as the LR. The P handles noticably better than LR though and the brakes on the LR were not confidence inspiring to me.

Anyone wanting max comfort and max performance I always recommend the LR with the acceleration boost. That knoch 0-60 down to 4.2 seconds.

Reactions: charisjapan
I can't speak for the MYP made at Shanghai. I will say the one here in the US sits ,6 inches lower than the LR model. I have owned both. I had a 21 LR and now a 22 P. To me the P model transmits mich more road feel to the driver. I feel every little imperfection in the road. The ride doesn't seem much harsher than the LR when I put 19s on it. Most of the harshness comes from the low profile 21s that come on it. Because more road feel is transmitted in it's not as nice of a drive as the LR. The P handles noticably better than LR though and the brakes on the LR were not confidence inspiring to me.

Anyone wanting max comfort and max performance I always recommend the LR with the acceleration boost. That knoch 0-60 down to 4.2 seconds.
Hey @240vPlug, thanks for the reply.

I suspected the 21ā€ Uberturbines would contribute to some harshness simply by 255/275mm of tread supported by a small amount of sidewall. I am already planning on getting a ā€squareā€ set of 19 X 8.5J wheels with 255/45 Cinturatos (Iā€™ve always like Pirelli for 2-wheelers and 4).

I was not able to test-drive at speed, but around town, the MYP was more compliant than my M3. I know itā€™s subjective, but did you feel you lost that .6 inch of travel? I know that suspension is more about quality than quantity, but just wondered about the physical differences between MYLR and MYP. Another concern I have is losing any ground clearance, as Japanā€™s secondary roads can be a bit bumpy.

Iā€™m not sure why we donā€™t get the MYLR, but I do know my wife will ā€œrequireā€ Chill Mode when sheā€™s in the car. I guess Iā€™ll just have to learn to live with the Performance ;).

Cheers!

To me yes I feel like its all suspension travel that was taken away. The P is much more bouncy than the LR even with 19s. The P rides more like a sports car if that makes sense. The LR was much more comfortable but felt top heavy around corners or when making sudden lane changes. The P model is much more stable but like I said you feel less insulated from the road. Example, even the slightest ripple in the blacktop transmits into the car.

Its important to point this out because some folks move from the LR to the P and expect the ride to be the same. Its not the same in my opinion. Its a significantly different experience.

Hey All!

MYP delivery scheduled for March 1, and getting excited ... and perhaps a bit anxious šŸ˜. Trading in my '20 M3SR+, I would really like to NOT get the "terrible/horrendous ride quality" some folks talk about. My test ride was a lot better than my M3, sooo ...

My question is about suspension travel. The MYP is touted to have a lowered suspension of approximately 1cm/half inch. Is that just a shorter spring with that much less travel, or a true lowered suspension? I'm asking because I want as much comfort as possible, and raising the ride height is probably easier than getting a new aftermarket suspension. It would be nice if they sold the MYLR here, but alas, the only Long Range is the Performance. Btw, I live in Japan, so my new car will be made at Gigafactory Shanghai. Apparently, my MYP might be somewhat different than US models (better šŸ¤ž?).

Appreciate any knowledgeable answers, but snarky comments also welcome, lol.

Cheers!
You specifically paid extra money to have a car with 'performance' suspension but you want as much comfort as possible? šŸ§ (you did ask about snarky comments) šŸ˜›

Suspension is almost always a compromise unless you have some super fancy active setup. When people speak of performance suspension it usually means the spring weights and dampers are tuned with better cornering and handling in mind. This is pretty much always to the detriment of comfort. Raising the ride height will not make the car any more comfortable unless the spring and/or damper rates are changed too.

Your cheapest option is maybe to try to find a set of used 2023 MYLR springs and shocks as older versions are said to be less "comfortable", even for a non-performance car. I think I saw a set advertised somewhere before from someone who upgraded to coil overs. Whatever you do your suspension warranty will be invalidated.

• Funny
Reactions: charisjapan
You specifically paid extra money to have a car with 'performance' suspension but you want as much comfort as possible? šŸ§ (you did ask about snarky comments) šŸ˜›

Suspension is almost always a compromise unless you have some super fancy active setup. When people speak of performance suspension it usually means the spring weights and dampers are tuned with better cornering and handling in mind. This is pretty much always to the detriment of comfort. Raising the ride height will not make the car any more comfortable unless the spring and/or damper rates are changed too.

Your cheapest option is maybe to try to find a set of used 2023 MYLR springs and shocks as older versions are said to be less "comfortable", even for a non-performance car. I think I saw a set advertised somewhere before from someone who upgraded to coil overs. Whatever you do your suspension warranty will be invalidated.
Hey @HonchoNI , thanks for the reply. Not THAT snarky, lol. :cool:

Since I didn't (past tense, now that I've taken delivery since starting the thread) have any choice except RWD "short range" and Long Range Performance, we chose MYP. Which means we are not gonna find used MYLR parts in Japan, anyway. AFAIK, no future plans for MYLR here.

All this has turned out to be academic, sort of, as our new Performance is surprisingly comfortable, Yay! :D As far as I can tell, this "lowered" MYP is still higher off the ground than our traded-in M3SR+. Japanese Tesla owners tend (not all, but most) to NOT mess with suspension, or even tires. So when I change the UberTurbines for 19" RAYS, I will be in mostly uncharted territory (though I did see a forum fellow in Japan with upsized RAYS wheels on a M3P).

So it ends up that the '23 Shanghai MYP suspension, while quite tightly controlled, is more supple than expected. I am hoping the double-downsized diameter and width) wheels with standard 255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturatos will relate to the suspension in a positive manner. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž

Hey @HonchoNI , thanks for the reply. Not THAT snarky, lol. :cool:

Since I didn't (past tense, now that I've taken delivery since starting the thread) have any choice except RWD "short range" and Long Range Performance, we chose MYP. Which means we are not gonna find used MYLR parts in Japan, anyway. AFAIK, no future plans for MYLR here.

All this has turned out to be academic, sort of, as our new Performance is surprisingly comfortable, Yay! :D As far as I can tell, this "lowered" MYP is still higher off the ground than our traded-in M3SR+. Japanese Tesla owners tend (not all, but most) to NOT mess with suspension, or even tires. So when I change the UberTurbines for 19" RAYS, I will be in mostly uncharted territory (though I did see a forum fellow in Japan with upsized RAYS wheels on a M3P).

So it ends up that the '23 Shanghai MYP suspension, while quite tightly controlled, is more supple than expected. I am hoping the double-downsized diameter and width) wheels with standard 255/45R19 Pirelli Cinturatos will relate to the suspension in a positive manner. šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž
Good to hear. Glad youā€™re happy with it!

After a month of driving my Shanghai (I specify because there seem to be several differences) 2023 MYP with "square setup" lightweight, narrower 19" wheels and more comfort-oriented tires, I can definitely report that I feel no need for more suspension travel. Though the rear was effectively lowered about 12mm, I don't see any significant squat. I have met a few potholes, but not bottomed out. The ride is not silky-smooth, but not harsh either. I sense nice control in all steering modes. More than a few folks have favorably commented on my somewhat retro wheel choice ;):cool:.

Cheers.

52774135989_6fd7614ed7_o.jpg

Reactions: TomB985
Iā€™ll be picking up my Fremont myp tomorrow and plan to evaluate some thingā€™s on the suspension side. I own an older jeep wrangler LJ which suffers from many of the same ride complaints here.

There are many knowledgeable enthusiasts on their forums and hope I can figure somethings out with this platform. The easiest and cheapest item to check is tire pressure. You have the actual tires recommended settings (usually for a set load rating) and then the cars recommended setting. Many factors play here depending on how much you load your car up.

If you are carrying a lot of weight you want high psi which some of you will notice it rides better with some weight in it. This could mean a lower psi with less weight will also ride better. Please do this within safe limits!

Another factor is suspension travel. This is where things get interesting. If you picture a shock having a fully extended length and then a fully compressed rate, the ride height should be at the 50/50 position. So we say it as 4 inches up and 4 inches down of travel. Not sure what the my has but if you have say 6 inches down and only 2 inches up the shock will bottom out quickly and decrease ride comfort. The same if the travel was reversed.

Doing some measurements could open the door here to some more shock options and improved ride quality. My guess is Tesla had badly tuned shocks on the original y.

Lighter weight or smaller diameter wheels help to an extent but fixing the shock travel should be first.

Iā€™ll be picking up my Fremont myp tomorrow and plan to evaluate some thingā€™s on the suspension side. I own an older jeep wrangler LJ which suffers from many of the same ride complaints here.

There are many knowledgeable enthusiasts on their forums and hope I can figure somethings out with this platform. The easiest and cheapest item to check is tire pressure. You have the actual tires recommended settings (usually for a set load rating) and then the cars recommended setting. Many factors play here depending on how much you load your car up.

If you are carrying a lot of weight you want high psi which some of you will notice it rides better with some weight in it. This could mean a lower psi with less weight will also ride better. Please do this within safe limits!

Another factor is suspension travel. This is where things get interesting. If you picture a shock having a fully extended length and then a fully compressed rate, the ride height should be at the 50/50 position. So we say it as 4 inches up and 4 inches down of travel. Not sure what the my has but if you have say 6 inches down and only 2 inches up the shock will bottom out quickly and decrease ride comfort. The same if the travel was reversed.

Doing some measurements could open the door here to some more shock options and improved ride quality. My guess is Tesla had badly tuned shocks on the original y.

Lighter weight or smaller diameter wheels help to an extent but fixing the shock travel should be first.

Thanks for the reply @gaabbee,

I don't have any way to compare my Shanghai MYP with a Fremont build, but while there are a few differences in some features, I haven't any reason to think suspension is one of them. I am fairly confident in saying the suspension is much less harsh than previous Performance models, and even much smoother than my 2020 M3SR+. Suspension travel does NOT seem to be the issue I was worrying about. I drove the car with the lower-profile UberTurbines for a while, and my new wheel/tire setup is significantly more comfortable. This is just my seat-of-the-pants impression, so YMMV and IMHO.

Enjoy your new car!!

Cheers,

Reactions: gaabbee