Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged's journey to SEMA with a fully customized Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been a roller coaster with R&D on our P85+ and we wanted to share some of the progress we've made on our way to showing the first heavily modified Model S to the world at the huge SEMA show in Las Vegas this week.

Just about a month ago, a little before the "D" launch event near our office in Hawthorne, our car looked a like this with all of our Unplugged Version 1 parts and our Adv1 22 inch wheel set installed.

unplugged22.jpg

We then decided to blow it all up since we had nearly finished re-engineering all of our Version 2 production parts and were ready to make some changes. So we decided to tear the car down to almost a bare frame and go a little bit crazy. Pretty soon it looked like this:

10355375_10152866832888324_96889662522938624_n.jpg

And it was a little challenging to move the car around with no interior.

10518708_10152866836583324_1221490860549613338_n.jpg

With the clock running for our SEMA debut on 11/4 and needing to deliver the car to Las Vegas 11/2 we didn't have much time to get it back in one piece. With the seats out for some re-engineering we took the time to lay down some Rolls Royce carpeting across the entire interior.

10480226_10152869430123324_2734674251975647905_n.jpg

We also got to work with as intense of a vinyl wrap job as we've ever done. All the doors came off and even the invisible parts of the car were given lots of very blue TLC.

10678784_10152866861823324_4795671833199657024_n.jpg

While the car was in pieces we went through a few different variations but finally settled on the design for our new sports seats with just the right amount of additional bolstering and support for spirited driving. These got the custom Lamborghini alcantara finish but we will be releasing these on a trade in basis for all standard interior finishes.

1504996_10152868870118324_7472870217271752142_n.jpg

Upgraded Sport Headlights were also finished in the nick of time. These have a crisper cut-off which means the light is better concentrated for improved visibility. The black finished interior gives a sporty look and the custom laser etched projector lenses look great at night.

10556462_10152870836673324_2790868452764857549_n.jpg

It was a relief to see the interior start coming back together. We're sure the choice of materials accented with red (!) Porsche-style sport seat belts will cause some divided opinions.

10405246_10152869448263324_4037711727182509123_n.jpg

10553562_10152869442253324_9093205246667768652_n.jpg

We were thrilled with the progress but we were so far from the finish line.

More to come!

Whether or not I like the details (waiting for it to come together more to decide), I love that people are doing this level of tear downs and mods and are documenting and posting it. Fun to look at, helps show what is possible and get the imagination working, and helpful to refer back to for anyone that needs to get at any of these areas below the surface.

Thanks for posting, and thanks to all of you out there that have posted mods, disassembly and assembly pics like this.

Thank you all for the great feedback! SEMA was a whirlwind and it all started with finishing our car!

The gaping holes in the interior were filled in with our completed pieces in the nick of time.

DSC_0667_BE_watermarked.jpg

DSC_0662_BE_watermarked.jpg

And we had only a few hours to admire our work before getting our cars on the transporter headed to Las Vegas. Thankfully we had great friends in Ryan and JJ willing to stop by the office from the unusual working hours of about 2am to 7am to help us capture some usable marketing photos before the event.

DSC_0674_BE_watermarked.jpg

DSC_0665_BE_watermarked.jpg

DSC_0700_BE_watermarked.jpg

DSC_0646_BE_watermarked.jpg

DSC_0654_BE_watermarked.jpg

The excitement built and as Motortrend and others picked up the story. We are obviously big advocates and supporters of Tesla but the car was a very rare sight at SEMA.
motortrend_unplugged.jpg

We still couldn't help but think that we must be crazy. But soon enough we were safely parked in Toyo Tires' fancy and fitting blue carpet Treadpass booth and ready to hear it from automotive industry peers and fans themselves.

unplugged_toyo.jpg

unplugged_toyo2.jpg

As we dragged ourselves back to our hotels for a night of rest before the show we still didn't know what the reaction would be.

Do you make your own rims? A set of aero wheels that actually look cool (unlike Tesla's OEM wheels) might be a bigger hit among Tesla fans than another nice, but generic set of spoke wheels, just saying.

Something like this, in brushed aluminium:

AeroWheel.jpg

Do you make your own rims? A set of aero wheels that actually look cool (unlike Tesla's OEM wheels) might be a bigger hit among Tesla fans than another nice, but generic set of spoke wheels, just saying.

We actually have our own model of wheels for the Model S that we developed with BBS, our Unplugged Performance UP-01 Wheel Package:
Unplugged Performance BBS 21 Inch Wheel Package | Unplugged Performance

GIL_2467_BenEdit1.jpg

They're offered in 21" fitment, and are specifically sized for the Model S.

do you have a running list of mods that you can list that are available either over the shelf or booking time with your shop? The car looks great but I see some things that are subtle but look great. Such as it appears that you lowered the car - did you use links or SW programming? What about the lights - what did you do there? Love the ADV1 wheels - IMHO I think they looked the best - are they an SL version that you would recommend for a MS?

Great work on the car - looks awesome!

We actually have our own model of wheels for the Model S that we developed with BBS, our Unplugged Performance UP-01 Wheel Package:
Unplugged Performance BBS 21 Inch Wheel Package | Unplugged Performance

View attachment 67576

They're offered in 21" fitment, and are specifically sized for the Model S.
I saw those wheels online earlier and love them! They look amazing. My favourite wheels I had for my old BMW were the BBS CH with the MOTORSPORT writing which these were obviously derived from. Kudos on a great looking wheel. Wish I didn't order the 21" Tesla set now. Can you trade unused 21" Tesla wheels for the BBS? ;-)

I think I'm in love with the headlights! this would look good with my pear white. I didn't see the pricing for just the headlights in the website.

Thank you all for the great feedback! SEMA was a whirlwind and it all started with finishing our car!

View attachment 63379

The excitement built and as Motortrend and others picked up the story. We are obviously big advocates and supporters of Tesla but the car was a very rare sight at SEMA.
View attachment 63380

We still couldn't help but think that we must be crazy. But soon enough we were safely parked in Toyo Tires' fancy and fitting blue carpet Treadpass booth and ready to hear it from automotive industry peers and fans themselves.

View attachment 63381

As we dragged ourselves back to our hotels for a night of rest before the show we still didn't know what the reaction would be.

Wow that blue wrap looks amazing!

I'm curious if you could tell me what kind of wrap you used? I'd really like to get my Tesla wrapped in a blue as vibrant as that... If you have an industry contacts / referrals to a place I could get it wrapped out here in the DC / NOVA area that would also be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to buying that front fascia, it really takes the look of the car into sports car territory. I'm also wondering if you have any more pictures of the body kit parts you are offering (especially the side-skirts) in the various options (carbon, etc)...

do you have a running list of mods that you can list that are available either over the shelf or booking time with your shop? The car looks great but I see some things that are subtle but look great. Such as it appears that you lowered the car - did you use links or SW programming? What about the lights - what did you do there? Love the ADV1 wheels - IMHO I think they looked the best - are they an SL version that you would recommend for a MS?

Great work on the car - looks awesome!

Thanks for the compliments.

It's our development car so there are quite a few modifications to it, all of which we are looking to bring to the market.

Items currently in production and ready for purchase:

• Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Front Diffuser Set
  • Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Side Skirt Set
  • Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Rear Under Spoiler
  • Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler
  • Unplugged Performance BBS 21 INCH WHEEL PACKAGE

Products and Services Coming Soon:

• Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Seat Backs– we just actually put out a teaser thread for these: TEASER: Unplugged Performance Carbon Fiber Seat Backs!!
  • Unplugged Performance Sports seat Retrofit / Modification – customizing OEM seats with larger bolsters and custom fabric
  • Unplugged Performance Sports headlights retrofit – customized headlight housings and projectors with greatly improved visibility
  • Unplugged Performance Floor mats (Custom floor mats made from high-end Rolls Royce carpet, with Ferrari leather and authentic Tesla emblems)
  • Unplugged Performance Sports Brake Pad Set
  • Unplugged Performance Custom Alcantara Headliner
  • Unplugged Performance Custom Steering Wheel
  • Unplugged Performance Custom Door Panels
  • Unplugged Performance Sports suspension Phase 1 (height adjustable suspension)

Pending Release Date:

• Unplugged Performance Front fascia system

I saw those wheels online earlier and love them! They look amazing. My favourite wheels I had for my old BMW were the BBS CH with the MOTORSPORT writing which these were obviously derived from. Kudos on a great looking wheel. Wish I didn't order the 21" Tesla set now. Can you trade unused 21" Tesla wheels for the BBS? ;-)

Thanks. Yes they are derived from the CH.

I think I'm in love with the headlights! this would look good with my pear white. I didn't see the pricing for just the headlights in the website.

We technically haven't officially offered the headlights for sale just yet. However, if you're interested, feel free to email or call us and we can work through a quote for the options you might be interested in.

+1 me too!

Also, what happened to the front end design that was on the silver car - its subtly different from this one but I think it looks a lot smoother. Is it still available?

What we have on the car now is what the renderings on the silver car evolved into. As the Model S is very complex behind the bumper cover, we had to adjust the design as we dove deeper into development (including basically restarting the design process from scratch at one point). The current bumper design retains all of the active louvers and aerodynamics; what that translates to is the car operating exactly as was designed by Tesla.

Wow that blue wrap looks amazing!

I'm curious if you could tell me what kind of wrap you used? I'd really like to get my Tesla wrapped in a blue as vibrant as that... If you have an industry contacts / referrals to a place I could get it wrapped out here in the DC / NOVA area that would also be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to buying that front fascia, it really takes the look of the car into sports car territory. I'm also wondering if you have any more pictures of the body kit parts you are offering (especially the side-skirts) in the various options (carbon, etc)...

Thank you. I don't have the exact color code information on hand presently for the wrap. However, if you'd like to email us, when we're back in the office, we can get you some more information.

Regarding the body parts, I actually have some new photos from a recent photoshoot of the car in its current form, which I'll include below. As far as the actual parts listings, check our website here: Unplugged Performance | Worlds First Tesla Tuning Company

DSC_1237_BenEdit1-1024x575.jpg

GIL_2472_BenEdit1-1024x575.jpg

GIL_2466_BenEdit1-1024x575.jpg

DSC_1253_BenEdit1-1024x683.jpg

GIL_2485_BenEdit1-1024x683.jpg