Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Unsolved] How to Hardwire a Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most common issue with attempts at hardwiring is that too much power is drawn from the 12V battery, leading to the car alerting you that something is wrong and to take it into a Service Center.

Has anyone figured out a way to hardwire successfully? There is also no fuse box or access port on TM3, making it even more challenging.

Elon tweeted a few weeks ago that the upcoming major firmware version will have dashcam functionality within the car. So my solution would be to just wait and see what's offered in the new version.

Yeah but let's be honest, that black and white footage on the native TM3 cameras is going to suck, not to mention there is no reason to believe they will run in parking mode. I have a 4k Blackvue that I want running in parking mode.

Reactions: David99
One can used the switch 12V in the center console, with a battery buffer that keeps the cam powered during parking. Something like this overpriced gadget: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HFRH34Q/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Presumably any of the USB battery packs that offer "passthrough mode" (i.e. the ability to charge the battery while powering the cam at the same time) should work, but finding one that actually supports this is proving difficult.

No ODB port, strangely enough. It's pretty much the only modern car without one since Tesla can do diagnostics over the air, it isn't really necessary...

I thought the OBD port was required by law in all cars but I guess the M3 shows that it is no longer. The OBD port was useless in the Model S/x as almost no data comes through there. It was just a convenient and clean way to get 12 Volt.