Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable grid voltage can cause PW fail to function properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my PTO in early Feb, my PW would not discharge throughout the peak hours and it will randomly stop discharging for a period of time then come back either a blip or stay for an hour then stop discharging again. At the same time, I saw a lot of L1N over voltage error reported on my delta m8 inverter that would cause the inverter to stop functioning in the day time.

I finally got Tesla to help me look at the logs in early March and they found the incoming voltage fluctuate between 100 V and 138 V. Called PGE on that morning and they had a tech came out and verified my utility neutral line had problem. To my surprise, they had someone came out late afternoon and fixed it on the same day I learned about the issue from Tesla.

Since then my PW have been functioning correctly. So just want to leave it here in case someone else see a similar issue in the future

Over the past thirty years I have encountered two of those floating neutral problems with two different homes and two different utility providers. In both cases some devices were ruined so consider yourself lucky that you caught it early before it damaged something.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Over the past thirty years I have encountered two of those floating neutral problems with two different homes and two different utility providers. In both cases some devices were ruined so consider yourself lucky that you caught it early before it damaged something.
Yeah was surprised when Tesla told me that was the problem. Fortunately nothing got damaged since I moved in couple years ago and the only light flickering I had was fixed after I replaced the dimmer switch... Guess I was lucky

I had an unstable neutral problem at my previous house. One leg of the 240V was coming in at 200V and the other at 40V. Wondered why the kitchen light was brighter than f*ck

Fried everything plugged into that half of the house. Fridge (actually, just the fan), computer, VCRs, TVs, radios, stereo amplifier, etc. insurance replaced everything at a cost of over $8000 and this was 1999ish.

Idiots at the utility did not understand my complaint. “Are you without power?” No. The voltage is too high and too low. “Huh?”
A tech fixed it at the transformer. Neighborhood was built in 1953.

So... it happens.