Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unti sell Model 3 did the 500000 reservations affect negatively on the initial model3 offering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
March 31 presentation was great and well presented. The model 3 blew me away. It will have auto pilot hardware, glass roof and will be better than any car you can buy for the money. So I'm thinking it's better than a BMW 3 Series or C class as they are priced similarly and are same size.

Now I hear:
It's a super basic model S, not the latest in tech and inferior in every way to the model S. you will have almost no choice in option-ing the car. The glass roof is not standard, it will have approx 40% of the cargo room of the MS, the SEMI auto pilot software will cost you several thousands US$ more and you will not even get a speedometer in front of you. I tell ya Tesla/Elon are doing a great job in making me regret my reservation.

Did all the reservations negatively affect initial offering of the Model 3? Is it all they care about now how much money they can make from all the reservations by making it more basic, faster and simpler to manufacture? It's like just get the cars out and take their money, chuck them the keys don't even show them any features on delivery day. Tell them they have to YouTube it if they want to know anything about the car.
I'm just saying I don't like the anti selling of the model 3. Will the antiselling make me buy a model S? No, It will just make me not buy a Tesla at all.

I really hope my recent feelings are wrong and the car will be amazing. luckily for me I live in Australia and we will be the last country to get the car. So by then I would have seen a lot of reviews and if they come in average or there are lots of complaints about the car I can cancel my order.
Tesla please no more negativity about the model 3 I just want it to be successful and a great car.

Last edited:
What I hear is that it will have many of the features of an S, will come with autopilot hardware, has next gen battery technology, and may have a body that can be worked on at your average body shop. A smaller car but still seats 5, it costs about 1/3 of a nicely equipped MS. I think that's awesome. Not sure about that speedo, but we'll see at an unveil.

Tesla has to achieve a run rate greater than the BMW 3 series in about a year's time. It's understandable that manufacturability would be a concern, and after the, um, difficulties of MX, I think Tesla is making the right moves there, and I wouldn't even be disappointed if MS had less options. No, I don't need hot rocks or aromatherapy. It's clear that Tesla is already limiting options on the S.

Tesla also has a huge portion of the rather small luxury car market. It needs to keep selling and expanding its base, and it can't overhang its own market. Anti-selling is a smart move.

Reactions: DR61 and anonim1979
Did you really believe that you would get the same features in a Model 3 as in Model S even for half the price? Of course they need to cut some features to get down the cost, just making it little smaller don't means that huge price pifferens in production.

Take a look on the BMW 3:series that starts at $33,450, here are some feathers that I find cost extra that maybe is standard on Model 3.
Heated fron seats $500
Driving assistant package(parking sensor and pack camera) $950
Power front seats $995
Navigation system $1950

If Model 3 have all this in the base price I would say that's great and that it's indeed compete with BMW 3:series.

No one has said 'no options', the options just haven't been announced. They aren't in the 'compare' sheet for a reason. There will definitely be a PUP-like package, but the contents are TBD. A lot of the details are waiting either for for the July reveal/announcement or for some leaks from the employee configurator (if there is one, they may just get 'here's your car!').

Remember, the S and X only have a few options now. The 3 will have the same or fewer and when you add the PUP-whatever, large battery, P, it will be excellent. Of course, some of that will not be available day 1!

No one has said 'no options', the options just haven't been announced. They aren't in the 'compare' sheet for a reason.
There are some there now:

model-3-options.jpg

they went to standard glass roof on S for simplicity of manufacturing. All of the spy photos of 3 have been all glass. They want 3 production to be simple. I'll bet either they announce closer to release that glass is standard, or they make it trivial cost option so almost everyone will buy. This may be a weird case where a standard hard roof would be more expensive to make than the optional glass one.