Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates to camera sensors? When and will they?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was wondering, since they are going all in on Teslavision, will they or have they already upgraded the camera sensors? If not, when was the last time they upgraded the camera sensors?

@Frisco Texas there's a "Tesla AI Day" event expected sometime in "July or August"* that is meant to show off advanced in their AI software and hardware. I'm guessing we may see something introduced there, though it may be some time before it hits actual production vehicles coming off the line. (Similar to how the 4680 cells were introduced at last year's Battery Day event but are still pending in actual production vehicles.

*this is in "Elon Time", so take it with a grain of salt.

So I was wondering, since they are going all in on Teslavision, will they or have they already upgraded the camera sensors? If not, when was the last time they upgraded the camera sensors?
As far as anyone knows, they're still using the same CMOS sensors that they started shipping with the model 3. Tesla has confidence that they have enough resolution with the current sensors to implement full self driving. Upgrading the resolution or other features of the sensors wouldn't necessarily scale linearly with improvements in functionality. I think Tesla is at a point where they already have too much data coming in; more pixels could potentially just make the problem harder/more expensive to manage.