Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a front bumper camera on a 2023 if they start delivering them in 2024 with cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So obviously Tesla Vision is still lacking in doing what the USS sensors did well for parking. We know the CT will have a front bumper camera with HW4. Looking at the past with what Tesla has offered in regards to retrofitting some hardware on older cars with new capabilities, does anyone know if the wiring for a front bumper camera exists already in the 2023 HW4 MX? If so, it does not seem like it would be a big deal to add the camera (and get it activated) if it becomes available from Tesla. Wonder how much it would cost.....

Reactions: edseloh
...it does not seem like it would be a big deal to add the camera (and get it activated) if it becomes available from Tesla. Wonder how much it would cost.....
No, it is not a technological challenge because other brands (including cheapo ones like Hyundai/Kia with 360 birdseye view) can have a front camera to look for the parking cement block.

Same with radar. Same with sonars.

The issue is whether Tesla wants additional cameras or not.

Currently, it thinks there's no need for additional cameras because of its highly advanced occupancy network.

In theory, when it approaches a parking space and sees the cement block in front, the occupancy network would remember that there's a cement block in front. When it gets closer, the windshield cameras can no longer detect the cement block but the occupancy network will calculate from the time it saw the block until the time when it can no longer see the block and calculate the distance as needed.

What you are suggesting is to admit that the highly advanced and very expensive occupancy network doesn't work so how would you think Tesla would take that criticism? Are you saying the expensive Tesla now has to copy cheapo Hyundai/Kia? Is that realistic?

No, it is not a technological challenge because other brands (including cheapo ones like Hyundai/Kia with 360 birdseye view) can have a front camera to look for the parking cement block.

Same with radar. Same with sonars.

The issue is whether Tesla wants additional cameras or not.

Currently, it thinks there's no need for additional cameras because of its highly advanced occupancy network.

In theory, when it approaches a parking space and sees the cement block in front, the occupancy network would remember that there's a cement block in front. When it gets closer, the windshield cameras can no longer detect the cement block but the occupancy network will calculate from the time it saw the block until the time when it can no longer see the block and calculate the distance as needed.

What you are suggesting is to admit that the highly advanced and very expensive occupancy network doesn't work so how would you think Tesla would take that criticism? Are you saying the expensive Tesla now has to copy cheapo Hyundai/Kia? Is that realistic?
I don't know if I agree that Tesla doesn't think it needs a front bumper camera with the S3XY line up. Perhaps they are trying it with CT and then roll it out to the S3XY line up in the future. It makes little sense to not have a front bumper camera with HW4 hardware since there are camera slots that can accommodate that.

I don't know if I agree that Tesla doesn't think it needs a front bumper camera with the S3XY line up. Perhaps they are trying it with CT and then roll it out to the S3XY line up in the future. It makes little sense to not have a front bumper camera with HW4 hardware since there are camera slots that can accommodate that.
There is that 2 year group of cars stuck in the middle though. So either they perfect vision for park assist and other features or the figure out how to add back the front bumper camera to those cars. And Tesla wouldn't do that for free so they'd still need to perfect park assist through vision (or admit they made a mistake and pay for retrofits for USS which would be massively expensive).

Reactions: edseloh
Based on watching the MKBHD reviews on the CT, he wasn't able to see the hood AT ALL. I'm guessing this is by design, to the front camera may be super necessary.

There is that 2 year group of cars stuck in the middle though. So either they perfect vision for park assist and other features or the figure out how to add back the front bumper camera to those cars. And Tesla wouldn't do that for free so they'd still need to perfect park assist through vision (or admit they made a mistake and pay for retrofits for USS which would be massively expensive).
I think the HW3 folks with no USS are gonna be out of luck including myself who is a HW3 owner with no USS because there is no slot on the HW3 board to add another camera. For HW4 folks on the other hand, unless the board is different between the MX/MS and M3/MY, the right thing to do is retrofit HW4 cars to include the front camera since it has the camera slots available on the board. I don't know if Tesla is going to go back to USS but even if they did it would not be for another 2 years. I mean shoot its been 3 years since they removed the radar from Tesla vehicles and only now are they adding a better radar back into Tesla vehicles. This whole no USS issue is only a little over 1 year old so I don't see Tesla backing away from it unless it goes back in the next 2 years.

Reactions: edseloh and dsm363
Based on watching the MKBHD reviews on the CT, he wasn't able to see the hood AT ALL. I'm guessing this is by design, to the front camera may be super necessary.
I think most people can agree that a front bumper camera is definitely necessary and I don't believe Tesla is that ignorant to know that Park Assist is not perfect but what can you do when it is a hardware issue that software cannot physically solve that gap between the edge of the front hood about 3 feet in front of the front bumper.

Reactions: StevenSD and dsm363
cybertruck has a front camera, so they will add to never models for sure but we are cked. Hope at least we can pay for a retrofit, it will not be free.
Yea I am not expecting it to be free but would like the option to add it from Tesla when it become available on the newer cars unless Vision can truly replicate what USS sensors can do. Every time I park in the garage or in a parking lot, I get a little annoyed because I want the car to tell me when to stop so I don't have to feel like I am 19 again in my 1983 RX-7 and paying close attention to what is around me to not hit it. I am too old for that crap... 😁

Also, when entering the gates to my street my car is giving me tons of proximity warnings and that is a lot of fun as well.....