Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating 12V Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in to the SC for Annual Maintenance as the PO had not performed it in a couple of years (the husband past away and the wife didn't know if she wanted to sell it). A couple of weeks ago my wife and I did a tour of the Gruber Motors shop in Phx. While I was there I purchased his 12V battery which he had created a different slide on cable attachments to the battery. He also provided new cables to make the transition from the bolted type connection (so common to batteries) to his slide on connection. Well the service tech informed me they can't install it as it is not factory. They make no exceptions to the rule I guess, now I get to get the car home take the wheel off, inner fender off and do the swap. Lesson learned do not expect Tesla to do any work that is not factory.

• Funny
Reactions: drewski
sorry, didn't mean to laugh.

i just did this (but still getting Aux Batttery Low error (not sure what's up with that))

it's not hard. just use the marked jack point and don't forget the 2 bolts coming up from the bottom that are attached to the battery panel
Replacing the 12V aux Battery
I always think that I am doing this right and then find out I'm not.........oh well when I get it back today I will have a project to do next week, turn the heat on in the garage, turn up the radio and have fun working on a fantastic car, you might ask why next week, well they are forecasting snow on Tucson valley floor, yikes!!!!

I always think that I am doing this right and then find out I'm not.........oh well when I get it back today I will have a project to do next week, turn the heat on in the garage, turn up the radio and have fun working on a fantastic car, you might ask why next week, well they are forecasting snow on Tucson valley floor, yikes!!!!

Its a fairly easy process to jack up the wheel and replace the battery. Takes about an hour depending on what condition the fasteners are in and how hard they are to get off. A few of mine needed to be replaced with SS ones as the old ones were rusted in.

Still was about an hour process taking off and putting back on but nothing too difficult or involved.

sorry, didn't mean to laugh.

i just did this (but still getting Aux Batttery Low error (not sure what's up with that))

it's not hard. just use the marked jack point and don't forget the 2 bolts coming up from the bottom that are attached to the battery panel
Replacing the 12V aux Battery
I had the SC confirm that the Recall for encapsulating the wires to the battery was done (which they said was done), so it should be an easy task to remove the inner fender to gain access of course that is after you jack the car up, remove the wheel, etc.

Well I thought today would be a good day to change my 12V battery I purchased for Pete Gruber a couple of weeks ago.

I figured since everyone indicated it could be done in an hour how hard can it be. Well not the case, here is my story.

I don't own a low profile jack so that was the biggest issue, how ever we have 4" curbs in our garages just prior to going into the house.
Run the front wheels up onto the curb and my jack would just barely go under the rear jack point, didn't want to use the front one as I wanted to put a jack stand there.

Car up in the air, jack stand in place, remove tire, remove inner fender panel and this is where the fun starts.

I remove the bolt from the outer point of the metal strap which holds battery in place and it falls to the floor. At some point in time service tech's or somebody instead of removing the inner bolt just bent the strap and after that had been done several time the strap broke towards the inside of the car. No problem head to ACE Hardware and pick up a piece of 1/16" x 1" aluminum bar stock (only comes in 4'-0" lengths) to make a new strap. Made a angled brace and things were all good again. Found out the Gruber battery is thicker than what was in the car. So of course had to buy longer bolts. Everything is back together.

The one hour turned into five hours (there was half hour for lunch).

The part that hurt the most is I took put the old battery on my trickle charger and within five minutes it showed it was fully charged.

I just love to work on cars sometimes..............

Reactions: drewski