TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upgrade from 60 to 85

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by Ecolimo, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Ecolimo

Ecolimo Alan

Can anyone tell me if it's possible and at what price to upgrade a S60 to a S85?

2. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Though it has been done in the past it is currently not something that Tesla will do.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Tesla has stated that a 60 to 85 upgrade is not possible.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

yes they've done it before but it seems like they refuse to do it to anyone else. i guess it was too much work for them (though I call BS on that).

5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

What about showing up at the battery swap station and asking for an 85?

6. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

This has been effectively answered before in other threads, and from what I understand, yes of course it is "possible" - this the whole idea behind battery swapping. Tesla just does not want to make it available right now, and for a few reasons. Again I am just repeating what I have interpreted - this is not "factual" but rather conjecture:

Tesla is production constrained, and one of the primary constraints is batteries - thus the need for the gigafactory. They do not yet want to enter into what is likely a much lower margin business of selling battery packs to existing model S customers while in effect taking away their ability to produce another vehicle altogether. I think many people would be buying a 60 instead of an 85 if they knew that if the 60 was not enough they could always upgrade down the road. The 85 is a higher margin vehicle than the 60 though, so from a business perspective, Tesla would be better off taking that option off of the table and hope that those in doubt of their ability to live with a 60 will spring for the 85 kWh version. I think of it as an iPhone. Sure, it is likely possible to take an 8GB iPhone, crack it open, and put 64GB of memory in there after it has been purchased, but Apple will not do that, because they want as many as possible to overestimate their needs and purchase the higher storage (and higher margin) phone. Many have hypothesized (and I agree) that down the road, when (if) Tesla is flush with batteries from the GF, a battery upgrade may be possible for a (high) price. That is however many years down the road, when you are going to have to make the tough decision - is it worth spending $20K (arbitrary) to put an 85 kWh in a 5-6 year old Model S, or buy a new one. Tesla wins either way there.

7. SamT

SamT Member

I think it has been done before and it costs about $18000. That was a while ago, don't know if Tesla still do it, you might have to go thru hoops to do it with the work constraints at the service center. You better off selling your 60 and buy a 85kw. If you insist on doing it, here is the link to the article that someone did it.

Life With Tesla Model S: Battery Upgrade From 60 kWh To 85 kWh

8. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Per Q4 2014 ER conference call, 2020.... maybe.