Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded 2018 Model S 100D EAP, HW3.0 MCU2.5..Other upgrade options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I've upgraded my 2018 Model S 100D from HW2.0 to 3.0 with an MCU2 upgrade, plus added a "Radio" as a separate hardware unit. I also swapped out the repeaters for the latest ones with signals (part numbers: 1495866-22-C, 1495867-22-C) – a tip I highly recommend keeping in mind since it's not widely advertised. These upgrades have been totally worth the investment for me.

Now, I'm eyeing the Full Self-Driving (FSD) package available for $4000, which includes one free upgrade of my choice. However, I'm on the fence about its value. Considering the investment, I'm looking for suggestions on which upgrade to pick that would make this purchase more beneficial.

Does anyone think the FSD package is worth it at this price? And if so, what would be the best use of the free upgrade option to maximize the value of this investment?

Appreciate your insights!

Hey everyone,

I've upgraded my 2018 Model S 100D from HW2.0 to 3.0 with an MCU2 upgrade, plus added a "Radio" as a separate hardware unit. I also swapped out the repeaters for the latest ones with signals (part numbers: 1495866-22-C, 1495867-22-C) – a tip I highly recommend keeping in mind since it's not widely advertised. These upgrades have been totally worth the investment for me.

Now, I'm eyeing the Full Self-Driving (FSD) package available for $4000, which includes one free upgrade of my choice. However, I'm on the fence about its value. Considering the investment, I'm looking for suggestions on which upgrade to pick that would make this purchase more beneficial.

Does anyone think the FSD package is worth it at this price? And if so, what would be the best use of the free upgrade option to maximize the value of this investment?

Appreciate your insights!
You should enjoy FSD if you love to be a product tester. An a average consumer would find it more stressful and not enjoyable.

Like Elon Musk predicted, FSD will increase its worth to $100,000. The fact it's worth $4,000 means it is no where as good as $100,000.

When selling your FSD car, you would have more luck with a FSD fanatic. Otherwise, there's no obvious advantage in selling your FSD car because most consumers are not trained test pilots.

You should enjoy FSD if you love to be a product tester. An a average consumer would find it more stressful and not enjoyable.

Like Elon Musk predicted, FSD will increase its worth to $100,000. The fact it's worth $4,000 means it is no where as good as $100,000.

When selling your FSD car, you would have more luck with a FSD fanatic. Otherwise, there's no obvious advantage in selling your FSD car because most consumers are not trained test pilots.
I got to choose one free upgrade option , what would be the best use of the free upgrade option to maximize the value of this investment?

What is the free upgrade with no additional charge that you are talking about?

If it's free, including free FSD, I'll take it.
I have to pay 4000$ for FSD since I have already EAP. The service advisor informed me that I will get one free upgrade option along with this purchase and I was wondering what are the possible options to chose the best one that maximize the value of this investment especially, FSD isn’t yet working in my country

Has anyone tried installing the PILLAR APPLIQUE with the NFC reader (parts 1496709-S0-B or 1496707-S0-B) on a 2018 Model S HW3/MCU2.5. I'm curious if adding this would enable Key Card functionality for the 2018 Model S. Any insights or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

…I also swapped out the repeaters for the latest ones with signals (part numbers: 1495866-22-C, 1495867-22-C) – a tip I highly recommend keeping in mind since it's not widely advertised. These upgrades have been totally worth the investment for me…
Did you have to pay for the repeater upgrade? Without FSD, what advantage is there?
Now, I'm eyeing the Full Self-Driving (FSD) package available for $4000, which includes one free upgrade of my choice…And if so, what would be the best use of the free upgrade option to maximize the value of this investment?
One free upgrade of what? I think your service advisor is mistaken, but if you really want to check, ask them to document your choices. Maybe the UAE has its own promotion. Or maybe the service center in UAE has more leeway.
…Does anyone think the FSD package is worth it at this price?…
I think there are more people suing to get their FSD money back than there are people saying FSD is amazing in this forum, if that is any indication.

Are you sure FSD is available in the UAE? Of so, have you thought about renting FSD for a month?

Last edited:
I have to pay 4000$ for FSD since I have already EAP. The service advisor informed me that I will get one free upgrade option along with this purchase and I was wondering what are the possible options to chose the best one that maximize the value of this investment especially, FSD isn’t yet working in my country
Homelink (garage opener)?
Improved air suspension?
Premium package?

Did you have to pay for the repeater upgrade? Without FSD, what advantage is there?
Hey @Krash, came across your question while reading up on camera upgrades. I’ve just had mine done on my 2017S (car just keeps getting better). I haven’t been able to figure out why it was offered free to me, I have EAP, no FSD - but I requested a quote for it and the quote came back as zero, they indeed charged zero after the fitting - so not a mistake. I should mention that I’ve previously paid for the MCU2 upgrade.

Without FSD, I was hoping for better quality repeater images, I use the inbuilt cameras for dashcam. The second thing I wanted was an OTA update, car was stuck on 2023.26… since September ‘23. Images didn’t look much better on the drive home but then 2023.44… was pushed to the car and the colours are much better now. You see more green grass as opposed to the grey it used to look like! Still not as good as the backup cam but a significant improvement.

If you’ve done the MCU2 upgrade, I think it would be worth you requesting a quote for the camera upgrade, no harm.

Reactions: Amr Wahbi and Krash