Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to AP for 24 hour trip or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've followed beta news from afar.

I'm about to go on a 24 hour trip and honestly all I want out of the car is good cruise control and auto steer. I'm trying to optimize for the least phantom braking possible. I can change lanes and drive when not on a highway.

My question is what would happen if I upgraded to the AP monthly subscription? Would my cruise and autosteer get updated to a different software version without radar? Is my non AP vehicle already on that nonradar software? My last long trip was already unacceptable, with 3 phantom braking events that could have led to major accidents, and I'm just trying to optimize for having a car that does cruise control as well as my old crappy cars!

Yea you probably don't want to do it since you say you can change lanes by disengaging AP. This is the biggest benefit (at this time) to the FSD upgrade when on the highway. And one you start using just your blinkers to change lanes (or allowing NOA to change) you will HATE going back to disengaging AP to change lanes and the having to reengage.

...I'm trying to optimize for the least phantom braking possible...
Paying more means you get more features like Autopark, Summon... but that does not improve what you already have.

For example, you have already experienced phantom brakes, so paying more will not improve that experience at all.

My question is what would happen if I upgraded to the AP monthly subscription?
You didn't say whether your car is radar or radarless.

If you have radar, paying for FSD would disable the radar.

...Would my cruise and autosteer get updated to a different software version without radar?...
Elon Musk said that it's not "single stack" at least until version 11 so the highway module should not be affected by the new City Streets module.

I think it is true with public FSD but when I passed the Safety Score and got FSD beta, my 2018 radar-equipped Tesla Model 3 suddenly changed its behaviors on freeways as well and not just in City Streets alone.

• Disagree
Reactions: TresLA