Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upsized MYLR Induction tires to 265/40 Michelin PS4 AS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I love the induction wheels (Gemini's don't do the the car justice IMO), the wheel/tire comb is undersized for the wheel well with the stock 255/40 rubber. There's also zero sidewall rim protection with stock and little sidewall to help absorb the rougher spot. There's also a reduction in towing capacity with the stock rubber, and snow performance has been rumored to be less than stellar. So I spent a little extra for the upsized Michelins but IMO both the ride and look are transformational. I'm losing between 5-8% of range, but the tradeoff in ride, performance, aesthetics and curb rash protection more than offset range loss. No change in tire noise so far compared to stock.

Attachments

• MY Inductions.jpg
    MY Inductions.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3,107
  • MY Inductions2.jpg
    MY Inductions2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,032
Thanks for sharing. Would you think that you could have had 275/40R21 tires on those wheels installed?
The Tesla Induction wheels are 20” wheels, so a 21” tire will not fit on it. If you are asking if 275/40R20 will fit on a Y, the answer is “that depends.” TSportline sells 20” wheel and tire packages that use that size, but I believe the wheels have a little more offset to make it work without rubbing in the front. 265mm is the widest I’ve read about on stock Induction wheels, but maybe someone who has tried that will chime in.

Tires for 20" Inductions

275/40/20 stock induction wheels

The Tesla Induction wheels are 20” wheels, so a 21” tire will not fit on it. If you are asking if 275/40R20 will fit on a Y, the answer is “that depends.” TSportline sells 20” wheel and tire packages that use that size, but I believe the wheels have a little more offset to make it work without rubbing in the front. 265mm is the widest I’ve read about on stock Induction wheels, but maybe someone who has tried that will chime in.

Tires for 20" Inductions

Thank you for your response.

Do you actually have a range loss, or is it the change in speedometer due to the higher sidewall?
Difficult to say under real world driving conditions which for me is a lot of 75 - 80 mph driving giving me about 230 miles of useable range. My assumption is that I've lost some range (on my prior MX going from Conti's to Scorpions resulted in a significant range drop), but I didn't have the stock tires on long enough to establish a good baseline kwh/mile to measure against.

Difficult to say under real world driving conditions which for me is a lot of 75 - 80 mph driving giving me about 230 miles of useable range. My assumption is that I've lost some range (on my prior MX going from Conti's to Scorpions resulted in a significant range drop), but I didn't have the stock tires on long enough to establish a good baseline kwh/mile to measure against.
I think anything outside of the cheap Goodyear’s is going to result in a range loss. I don’t pay much attention to range anyway. I’m running Michelin PS4S summer tires on my Vossen wheels. I think I’m going to take a page from your book and run the 265/40/20 on my inductions with winter only tires. I like the idea of no more curb checks.

Reactions: Daekwan

Tires for 20" Inductions

If you receive your LR with 19" wheels, are you able to swap the whole set with 20" wheels & tires without any issues? Is there any setting on the display that would let you change the configuration accordingly?

If you receive your LR with 19" wheels, are you able to swap the whole set with 20" wheels & tires without any issues? Is there any setting on the display that would let you change the configuration accordingly?
Yes. The diameter of a 255/45R19 tire is the same as a 255/40R20 or a 255/35R21. All three are 28”. You can easily swap the 19s that come with the LR for the 20s or 21s. You can tell the computer that you have changed the wheel size and it will display the EPA range for the OEM tires in that wheel size, but even if you do not, the mileage and speed will be correct.

Yes. The diameter of a 255/45R19 tire is the same as a 255/40R20 or a 255/35R21. All three are 28”. You can easily swap the 19s that come with the LR for the 20s or 21s. You can tell the computer that you have changed the wheel size and it will display the EPA range for the OEM tires in that wheel size, but even if you do not, the mileage and speed will be correct.
Thank you

I was planning to do exactly this and doing some research and found your post. How do you feel about your decision now that it has been a few months? Also, how did you go about replacing the tires - were the shop people able to buy your 255s or did you have to sell them elsewhere and basically pay full price for 265s?

I was planning to do exactly this and doing some research and found your post. How do you feel about your decision now that it has been a few months? Also, how did you go about replacing the tires - were the shop people able to buy your 255s or did you have to sell them elsewhere and basically pay full price for 265s?
I personally prefer my new Micheline tires over the RF Pirelli tires, and honestly I haven't had any issues with them so far. The new tires run better on any type of road , protect the wheels pretty good, and look far better than the Pirelli tires.
I asked the Discount tire guy if they would take the tires for a price from me, but the answer was negative. I am still trying to sell them on Craigslist, but it looks like nobody wants them. Good luck to you 👍